build a corvair racer

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
willdeane

build a corvair racer

Post by willdeane »

is there anyone in the US who can build me a 64 or earlier corvair 500 race car, eligible for historic touring car in the uk?
GasDaddy140

Re: build a corvair racer

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi!

What a loaded question. I am somewhat compelled to respond.
From what I understand about historic automobile racing in the UK such as at Goodwood and Silverstone, there must be FIA ( Federation Internationale de L'Automobile; a bunch of French guys) sanctioned Saloon racing provenance. I was surprised to see a 2011 video from the Goodwood Revival in England trophy race that included a yellow late model Corvair on the formation lap. Not a Yenko Stinger, but a proper fat-tired, roll-caged and lowered racing saloon. Pretty sharp. Unfortunately, by about 1/2 lap it is noticeably smoking badly and does not end up taking race start with the rest of the field. I think it blew up. You can find the video on YouTube by searching Goodwood Revival Trophy Race from 2011. Anyway, you should be able to find eligibility and history on your side of the pond easier than us. And, I''m sure that someone could build you one over there too, probably not as good though (..thinking about the one blowing all the smoke out back again). Just find the old Corvair you want on eBay with international shipping costs. You'll be happy to have one! It's better and safer driving a car from the left hand side too. Especially on a race track.
I hope that you are loaded with dough. :tu:
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
notched

Post by notched »

GasDaddy140 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:51 pm Hi!

What a loaded question. I am somewhat compelled to respond.
From what I understand about historic automobile racing in the UK such as at Goodwood and Silverstone, there must be FIA ( Federation Internationale de L'Automobile; a bunch of French guys) sanctioned Saloon racing provenance. I was surprised to see a 2011 video from the Goodwood Revival in England trophy race that included a yellow late model Corvair on the formation lap. Not a Yenko Stinger, but a proper fat-tired, roll-caged and lowered racing saloon. Pretty sharp. Unfortunately, by about 1/2 lap it is noticeably smoking badly and does not end up taking race start with the rest of the field. I think it blew up. You can find the video on YouTube by searching Goodwood Revival Trophy Race from 2011. Anyway, you should be able to find eligibility and history on your side of the pond easier than us. And, I''m sure that someone could build you one over there too, probably not as good though (..thinking about the one blowing all the smoke out back again). Just find the old Corvair you want on eBay with international shipping costs. You'll be happy to have one! It's better and safer driving a car from the left hand side too. Especially on a race track.
I hope that you are loaded with dough. :tu:
There is someone in England that has Rick Norris' Blue and yellow (Sunoco tribute) late model racer. The guy made Rick an offer he couldn't refuse for his whole entire racing rig. If the original poster is that serious he might consider doing the same.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi Willdeane, You just missed it. The ex-Bob Marlow track car just sold for 24,150 GBP last month. See:
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/classic- ... 4154871439

Although it's been sold, you may be interested in how it was built. You can read Bob's article about the car here:
http://garagekey.blogspot.com/search?up ... -results=7
Attachments
bob_marlow_1964_track_car.jpg
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

willdeane

you really need to decide at what level you wish to race a EM corvair in the UK

I'm not sure how much you know about the racing over here, but I will try and give a brief overview (it can get very complicated)

basically there are three ways to circuit race a car

1) appendix k - this is the most expensive and complicated, as the cars need to be built to the exact regs (modern safety stuff aside) as laid down in the pre 66 fia paperwork - any car needs its paperwork, inspections etc and this all costs money and probably isn't for a amateur racer - having an appendix k racer allows you to race at all the 'posh' events - I very much doubt you could build a EM appendix k racer as the homologation paperwork appears to have vanished, and I suspect it would just be a nightmare to even try to get anywhere. you would need the appendix k papers to race in the masters series

2) HRDC - a lot of appendix k cars race in the HRDC, but as its billed as 'gentleman's racing' a lot of unusual cars 'get the nod' as the organisers are more interested in unusual cars, as a lot of rare and expensive cars race there tends to be a lot of respect from the drivers and the racing is (normally) very clean - you wouldn't need any paperwork to race in the HRDC for your car - the blue and yellow LM covair races in this lot (very rarely) - I think it was originally brought over by the guy who organises it. I occasionally race my mini in the HRDC and although its expensive it allows you mix it with some very nice cars.

3) HSCC - there are two classes in the HSCC, so appendix k cars will race with the normal stuff, its the normal class that's more interest to you as you just enter your car into the class that suits your engine size (class b I guess) - you can run rose joints, adjustable suspension etc, as long as your car conforms to the regs (which cover silhouette, no holes hacked in the bulkheads for carbs (not a problem for corvairs!) the racing in HSCC is really good, very mixed grids with a lot of American stuff, mustangs and cameros etc, there is occasional carnage due to dickheads, but its really good fun.

dont forget that in the case of all three above classes you are restricted to Dunlop CR65 tyres,

Goodwood is a separate thing, its invitation only and certainly requires you to be part of the 'right crowd' with seriously deep pockets - cars built to 'Goodwood spec' are normally a mix of appendix k, but with mods done to suit the track, which is seriously fast - minis are pulling nearly 120mph and 9000 rpm on the back straight. there is no point building a car just in the hope of been chosen to race there.

I think that if you where going to get a car built in the US you would need to ensure that the builder was conversant with the blue book, as things like the cage would have to made to suit the UK regs - if I where going to build one I would get a weld in cage made over here by one of the 'known' suppliers as it solves any issues you could have with scruitineering.

good luck with it, if the shell on my 500 was better I would have probably built it up as a race car as it would be great to see some corvairs duking it out on the tracks over here

but (and its a big but!) I think you would have to be resigned to the fact that you would be seriously outclassed by stuff like cortinas!
GasDaddy140

Re: build a corvair racer (Yellow Corsa Racer)

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Rupert Keegan are you still around?

With your Corvair?

Here's his hot LM Corvair at the 2011 Trophy race at Goodwood, England. I wrote how it seemingly blows-up large in a trail of oil smoke on the pace lap in the video.

Still-Very cool!!
Attachments
d3s4676.jpg
d3s4677.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

:rolling: The plates, LOL.. ralph in the front, nader in the rear!

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”