Road Candy 65 Corsa 140

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
GasDaddy140

Post Break-In, Daughter 65 Corsa 140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi Corvairs!!

Reset! Corvair project is now post break-in. I recorded 150psi + in all six cylinders, very happy. Minor valve adjustments, 12oz of zinc additive, 10w30 Chevron Supreme (I like the name), and tune check. 800 rpm idle, and a solid clutch and gear changes. No oil leaks, not a drop!

Threw my first belt during some full throttle squeezes at an industrial park. Generator light (that's how it's labeled) came on, rpm climbed to 2000, and I shut her down fast. Fortunately I was able to untwist belt and force it back on with a screw driver, only tool I had on hand. Honestly, I was running the belt too loose and my forward guide was pretty fat. Corrected that stuff.

Took my daughter out to the industrial park the next day to teach her how to drive a stick (a dying art form). This never works out well the first time; stalling , shaking the car to near death, a lot of swearing by me, but fun and relatively successful. We'll continue this weekend. She's earned it. Works on the Corvair Corsa with me. A lot. She's taking auto mechanics course at the SRJC, 24 guys and her.

I drive it to work a lot. Going after some more interior work this weekend. Dreaming about sandpaper lately. But what a beauty.
Attachments
Anca Corsa.JPG
Anca changing oil.JPG
GasDaddy 140.JPEG
Anca Driving Stick.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Road Candy 65 Corsa 140

Post by davemotohead »

I would not use the Zinc additive, 12 oz seems like a awful lot! Use the correct oil that has the zinc in it, the additive can be harmful to the bearings if you put in to much, don't play chemist with your engine when there are correct available oils out there, Glad its running good!
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

davemotohead wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:49 am I would not use the Zinc additive, 12 oz seems like a awful lot! Use the correct oil that has the zinc in it, the additive can be harmful to the bearings if you put in to much, don't play chemist with your engine when there are correct available oils out there, Glad its running good!
Hi Davemotohead!

I actually used 12oz of a product called Zinc Hyper-Lube and it actually states that it contains NO Zinc! It's a modern substitute I suspect. The recommended dose was 12oz in 5 quarts of oil. I sure hope that I'm going to be OK with this stuff. Do you know about this concoction? The auto parts guy (an older one) recommended it to me.

Thank You!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

Looking sweet! I love old cars that have been banged around and nice interiors! Exciting to watch
1962 Convertible Monza Powerglide w/ 64 differential and transverse spring and 65 carbs.
GasDaddy140

Go K-Mart Fan Belt!!

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi Corvairs!!

This old Corvair heap had three K-Mart Automotive fan belts tucked way up inside a fender well when I started dismantling it. Cost each was $2.25! Decades old I suspect. Tried to sell them on eBay years ago as a novelty, but no one wanted them. I've misplaced one of them. Well, after throwing my premium belt that I mentioned, it actually snapped a day later under hard acceleration after I adjusted and tightened it. Already compromised, it couldn't hold up. What a loud snap and hit behind us too! Near a railroad crossing I changed the belt over to one of these K-Mart belts on the side of the road because it was all that I had. Just like a real man. The new premium one hadn't shown up yet. Wow! Upon close inspection of the K-Mart belt there was no dry rot or cracking, felt and looked like I had bought it just yesterday. Anyway, it rides a little shorter and tighter, but it's holding up great! I've floored the car to 5,500rpm several times in 1st and banged 2nd gear to about 5000rpm. After the new belt showed up, I just put it in the truck as a spare. Go K-Mart!

That Actron tune-up unit was purchased by me decades ago because the pictured auto-tech looks so smart. Can't live without it running points. Dwell, RPM.

I'll take bets that the cheap belt lasts a long while.
Attachments
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0852.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

I would
Take that bet. I bought them when I worked at Kmart in the 70’s. Always went back to GM for wrapped ones. I could change them in the dark with my eyes closed albeit with a few burns on my arms. Never knew to run them loose at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

I called the gechahome belts

Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

skipvair wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 pm I would
Take that bet. I bought them when I worked at Kmart in the 70’s. Always went back to GM for wrapped ones. I could change them in the dark with my eyes closed albeit with a few burns on my arms. Never knew to run them loose at the time

Awesome Skipvair! I'll let you know when it goes flying off the engine at some important time or snaps completely apart. Initially, I would have never dreamed of using these lousy K-Mart garbage belts, but when a dire need arose, god wanted me to. :)

Starting the count down...
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

American Graffiti 5 18 18 Petaluma

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hey Corvairs!!

I've been driving the living piss out of my 65 Corsa this last week; like a primary car. Running strong, what a great feeling it is to rip such a fine American sports coupe from the clutches of the grave. Mechanically it is very stout and it should be after all of this work!

So, American Graffiti starts this Friday evening in Petaluma CA, and I'll meet up with an Engineer co-worker at the designated park. He's rolling an old school drag-type Canary yellow 57 Chevrolet Belair with all the fixings. But, my 65 Corvair heap is pretty in vogue right now with the primer, rust, and the unfinished-ness going on. A show stealer!

K-Mart fan belt looks like I just slipped it on yesterday, about 30 years ago.

Hope to see at least one other Corvair there. There was an oldie with a 4-71 blower out back a few years ago. What a maniac!
Attachments
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Trim, and Volts, and Miles!

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hello!
Quick update, I’ve put about 1700 miles on the 65 Corsa 140, nice! Worked most of the bugs out. Tried my best with the window trim. I used Clark’s windshield and rear window bonding material and plastic clips. Seems like something’s missing though. Is there supposed to be a material under the trim strips?
Gets a lot of attention on the road! Pretty peppy and pulls good rowing the gears. Decided to install a volt meter in the dash-useful, steady at 14 with points and a cheap alternator.

See ya!
Attachments
409A444B-301B-469E-8A30-FBE5F2F47772.jpeg
4906E9F1-9F18-43DD-AC53-DF5A615597DD.jpeg
FF28421F-DE92-4C27-BD1D-E0921A0AB694.jpeg
5F6ADFBF-FB00-4DEB-9518-D81E6036C4EB.jpeg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
fred bagnall

Post by fred bagnall »

I seem to recall somewhere that the windshield butyl or tape,or weatherstripping, whatever you want to call it comes in two different thicknesses . Some of the newer windshields are thinner and therefore requiring a thicker type of gasket to make the trim sit more flush with the windshield. There may even be a thread somewhere elaborating about such an issue.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

GasDaddy140 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:55 am
davemotohead wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:49 am
I would not use the Zinc additive, 12 oz seems like a awful lot! Use the correct oil that has the zinc in it, the additive can be harmful to the bearings if you put in to much, don't play chemist with your engine when there are correct available oils out there, Glad its running good!
Hi Davemotohead!

I actually used 12oz of a product called Zinc Hyper-Lube and it actually states that it contains NO Zinc! It's a modern substitute I suspect. The recommended dose was 12oz in 5 quarts of oil. I sure hope that I'm going to be OK with this stuff. Do you know about this concoction? The auto parts guy (an older one) recommended it to me.
For what its worth, I found their website and here are some of their claims for their product...

ImageImage
Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive - 12 oz., Model: HPZ212
$12.01
+ $5.49 shipping + $0.00 estimated tax

:link: https://www.amazon.com/Hy-Lube-Zinc-Rep ... T+ADDITIVE

:link: https://www.hyperlube.com/product/zinc- ... -additive/
THE BENEFITS OF ZINC ENGINE OIL ADDITIVE
Formulated and made in the USA, Zinc Replacement Additive is the go-to solution for automobiles and industrial engines in high-stress and demanding conditions and environments. Hy-per Lube calls on over 60 years of chemical innovation and leadership to develop superior-quality products that completely solve your engine health and performance problems. Our ZDDP oil additive contains an exclusive Polymer Ester formula that maintains a strong oil film at high temperatures. When added to any motor oil, it provides up to twice the EP wear protection as high-content zink motor oils.

Hy-per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive is compatible with all motor oils, including synthetic and new SM-rated oils. Additional advantages include:
  • Product tested and proven to protect better than ZDDP
  • Zero heavy metals for improved environmental sustainability
  • Reduced cold-start wear after long periods of disuse
  • Will not harm emission controls or catalytic converters
INDEPENDENT LAB TESTS PROVE IT PROTECTS BETTER THAN ZINC

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

fred bagnall wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:50 pm I seem to recall somewhere that the windshield butyl or tape,or weatherstripping, whatever you want to call it comes in two different thicknesses . Some of the newer windshields are thinner and therefore requiring a thicker type of gasket to make the trim sit more flush with the windshield. There may even be a thread somewhere elaborating about such an issue.
Thanks Fred Bagnall. Good information. When I removed the windshield and rear window a few years ago, I was actually amazed at how thin and lightweight they were.

I guess that I can live with the glass to trim gaps, or try to fill them at a later date...undecided as yet.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

1st and Only Drive-Corvair!

Post by GasDaddy140 »

A shot of my tall, slim, 16 year old son, besides the only car he has ever driven-my 1965 Corvair Corsa 140. He says it's a blast! And his shifting and starts are improving a lot with the 1965 technology 4 speed and clutch pedal; a dying pleasure, especially for the weak-hearted, souless-youth in self-driving-car-dazes. In this way a car, is not distracting them from their I-phones-the sickness...is just pathetic.

So, we've been blasting about the vast, old abandoned Hewlett Packard business park like a couple of real humans controlling, or trying to, a Corvair!
Attachments
Ady Drive 2.JPG
Ady Driving 1.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

DYI Door Panels! Chunk'n Down My Corsa.

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Corsa Door Panel.JPG
Hey Corvairs! What fun-My sixteen year old son and I fashioned the two front door panels from materials from Joanne's Fabrics! We bought cardboard pattern layout material and faux leather charcoal vinyl and powerful spray adhesive. The one rotten door panel that I did have was used as a pattern. I have the little Corsa emblems to install too. We used six black interior screws per door. The smaller rear panels may be saveable, but if not will make those too.

Any recommendations on a more modern rear seat that may be dropped in back would be appreciated. What have you done?

See you down the road!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

30 year old K-Mart fan belt went to hell this morning during a 5000 rpm acceleration in 2nd gear on the way to work! Loud noises and the "danger" red lights followed, and I got it pulled over quickly and installed a new one on the side of the road. Yep. :tu:
The new belt is a high quality gator back.

skipvair wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 pm I would

Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”