Road Candy 65 Corsa 140

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Flying_Dan

Re: Road Candy 65 Corsa 140

Post by Flying_Dan »

Project is really coming along nicely! Another Corvair saved!
When I set my timing, why to a flush, then pee?
GasDaddy140

Re: Washed the Bad Beauty Road Candy 65 Corsa 140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Thanks Flying_Dan! A Corvair saved!

Most people would have seen a "parts" car, I think. I remember asking the gentleman over the phone, if it even rolled? He answered yes, so I bought it.
But the fact that it took us two hours to get it off the trailer and into my garage suggests otherwise :) Runs and handles very good now! Starts instantly. I floor the gas pedal. I wash it.
Attachments
Clean 65 Corvair Corsa.JPG
1965 Corvair Corsa 4 carb, 4 Speed Found 3.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
County98

Post by County98 »

I it's awesome. Any close ups of the door panels? I dont get on here much right now, still deployed. I'll get working on mine again soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Corvair Forum mobile app

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've used that method since I was a kid and it's gotten me out of many dire situations...
Once you have a good belt on there and it's properly tightened you shouldn't have any issues with a stock engine no matter how hard you drive it.
I use the Clark's wrapped belts. Properly tightened is when you can move the alternator fan with one finger. Too tight or too loose will cause failure. Too tight seems to fail them quicker than too loose. I shift my Spyder past red line all the time and haven't had any belt issues. My '63 convertible's belt is about 20 years old and I rev it till it won't go any faster. No telling how many miles it has on it.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
GasDaddy140

A REAL car now!! Road Candy 65 Corsa 140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hey Corvairs!

Just sharing that I've put about 2500 miles on this 1965 Corsa since mechanical rebuild, and I've spent a lot of those miles, debugging and fine tuning. Although it's been running fine, I've had a little idle fluctuation and occasional carburetor "spitting." Then I discovered that I had a couple little vacuum leaks in the balance tubes! My tubing was a little fat. I cinched it down and boom! It runs like a REAL car now! :woo: I readjusted the main throttle lever for a more positive stop and boom! Steady 900 rpm idle now, and just the right amount of lumpy. And No carb spitting. Go time! It just goes so great! It really pulls out of slow corners even while in third gear.

I also dumped the breather tube into the top of one of my cone-like air-filters, because with the heater on I got a little smell and vapor when it burped.
I think that change will work out. A Corvair MotoHead told me this would happen :)

A lot of rain in Northern California lately and pretty cold. My optional 2-speed windshield wipers are working good! I must have bonded the glass in almost right, because no water leaks. Boom!

Parked at work today. See ya!
Attachments
Wet 65 Corsa.jpg
Corsa Motor 140.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

GasDaddy140 wrote:Hey Corvairs!

Just sharing that I've put about 2500 miles on this 1965 Corsa since mechanical rebuild, and I've spent a lot of those miles, debugging and fine tuning. Although it's been running fine, I've had a little idle fluctuation and occasional carburetor "spitting." Then I discovered that I had a couple little vacuum leaks in the balance tubes! My tubing was a little fat. I cinched it down and boom! It runs like a REAL car now! :woo: I readjusted the main throttle lever for a more positive stop and boom! Steady 900 rpm idle now, and just the right amount of lumpy. And No carb spitting. Go time! It just goes so great! It really pulls out of slow corners even while in third gear.

I also dumped the breather tube into the top of one of my cone-like air-filters, because with the heater on I got a little smell and vapor when it burped.
I think that change will work out. A Corvair MotoHead told me this would happen :)

A lot of rain in Northern California lately and pretty cold. My optional 2-speed windshield wipers are working good! I must have bonded the glass in almost right, because no water leaks. Boom!

Parked at work today. See ya!

Can you tell me more about the breather tube set up. I only have mine with a filter on it and forum people screaming- no it’s wrong never do that. Ok ok. Well i have a lot of blow by so putting it in The the filter over my carb doesn’t sound like an amazing idea to me because the vapor is oily.
Whatdoyouthink?
And yeah. It’s dumping rain here in SF and i think you’re Not too far from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hey 66Corsaguy!

I was driving my Corsa in 30mph or more cross winds yesterday at 50mph in this down pour. Front-end felt a little lite but awesome!

I don't know what air-cleaner/s your running, but I would definitely vent back into the air-filter. Otherwise the blow-by will get picked up by your interior heating ducting and smell and stuff inside. I have first hand knowledge now :)

Yes, we're are not that far away from each other, about 40 miles and a Golden Gate Bridge toll. It would be great to meet-up with our cars sometime. How's yours coming?

Do it! Let those vapors and oil back inside the motor. :tu:
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Dump My Clutch- Road Candy 65 Corsa 140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

I dumped my clutch at 4 grand at a vacant industrial compound lot.

Next time 5 grand.
Attachments
Clutch Dump 3.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
County98

Post by County98 »

[emoji1]

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

#BOOM LOL, Glad you are having fun driving what you have built. Great feeling. :rafman:

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

I'd be careful about dumping the clutch hard unless you have a 4 spider conversion in the diff. Corvair differentials are known for breaking spider gears. Looks like fun!
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

thewolfe wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:14 pm I'd be careful about dumping the clutch hard unless you have a 4 spider conversion in the diff. Corvair differentials are known for breaking spider gears. Looks like fun!
Thanks for the notice, TheWolfe! Not once did the spider gears cross my mind while I dumped my clutch revving the engine! Now they will.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

viewmaster wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:37 pm #BOOM LOL, Glad you are having fun driving what you have built. Great feeling. :rafman:

-m
Peeling out the Corvair is a GREAT feeling!! Thanks for the encouragement!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

County98 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:57 pm [emoji1]

:wave: Posi!!!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

GasDaddy140 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:23 pm
viewmaster wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:37 pm #BOOM LOL, Glad you are having fun driving what you have built. Great feeling. :rafman:

-m
Peeling out the Corvair is a GREAT feeling!! Thanks for the encouragement!
LOL peeling out in a Corvair is hard om them, puts a lot of stress on everything since they have such great traction. It puts too much force on things to horse it to the point of tires spinning (peeling out). No point in dumping the clutch that hard. Go just a little less than that and leave them in the dust as they peel out cause they (non-Corvair) do not have enough traction:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
GasDaddy140

Cars & Coffee and Driving!

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hey Corvairs!

I checked-in on a few regional Cars & Coffees lately-a fun group. Especially because the ongoing pouring rainstorms, those who showed-up seemed more "real." At the Petaluma gathering, I even met another Corvair guy, he was driving a later model convertible 110 Monza Power Glide. I never see any Corvairs around here unless I'm at my house :) My 65 Corsa tends to draw them in. I like starting the engine for observers.

My son is also driving my Corvair more. He digs it!

Not working on my car much, just adding gas, checking oil, looking at tires - Driving!

See ya!
Attachments
Ady Drives Corsa.JPG
Cars & Coffe Santa Rosa CA.JPG
Corvair Emblem 65.jpg
Yellow Monza Too.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”