Road Candy 65 Corsa 140

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
GasDaddy140

GPS Speed-O Look'n Good

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Just sharing a few pictures of our GPS Speed-O progress. Yep, drilled a hole in my roof. The first one hurts. But afterwards you can drill more :) My 18 year old son is really on it for this work!!

Stay Safe!
Attachments
GPS 1.JPG
GPS Ady.JPG
GPS Roof.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Road Candy 65 Corsa 140

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: Is it really necessary to drill a hole in the roof and utilize a roof-mount antenna configuration?

:think: :idea: All of my GPS navigation units have for years been simply mounted on the dashboard or stuck on the windshield, and they have had no problem with receiving GPS satellite signals. I don't see why a GPS-based speedometer would be any different. I would suggest mounting the magnetic mount GPS antenna on the defroster grill in the center of the padded dash. The antenna wire could be threaded through the grill, and the steel dashboard/grill can serve as a reflective antenna backplane. The windshield is also transparent to the GPS satellite radio signals.

LM Corvair GPS Antenna Location
LM Corvair GPS Antenna Location

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi Bbodie52!

The unit was stated to work best when located on the roof, and I feel the hole was a minor alteration considering that I am this car's Savior :) You are correct about all the other options.

It works great!

Stay safe!

Alan
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Holy Cheetos! It works!

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Wow! The needle sweeps fast to 160 and then back to zero when ignition is started just like a modern car. It would be fun to tell cave-people all about it if I could go back in time, but then again it might be too much for them and they would try to kill me.

I'm also going to check in with the national KFC about whether the GPS speed-O unit utilizes any "commie" satellites to function. That would really disappoint me.

Buy hey, I've been cooped up and am losing my mind :wave:
Attachments
GPS Done.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Crazy Night Changes!

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Holley Moley! With the lights turned on the white background turns dark gray/black, the pointer glows red, and the black numbers turn white! How do they do this?
Attachments
Night GPS Speed-O.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Tel Tal 88MPH - Saves Top Speed

Post by GasDaddy140 »

The day before I can see that my son hit 88MPH as a saved peak speed. I had a talk with him. With little traffic on the 101Hwy he took a liberty. I'm watching now. :nono: He said the car felt really good.
Attachments
Tel Tal.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
tomk1960

Post by tomk1960 »

GasDaddy140 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 am Hi Bbodie52!

The unit was stated to work best when located on the roof, and I feel the hole was a minor alteration considering that I am this car's Savior :) You are correct about all the other options.

It works great!

Stay safe!

Alan
I don't blame you for wanting to set it up for optimum performance. Most modern cars come with a similar antenna on the roof now, for Sirius satellite radio, so yours won't look odd. If it's like the GPS speedos that are available for motorcycles, you may lose signal in tunnels, but the roof mounted antenna will give you a better chance of keeping connected.

Your gauges look awesome. I plan to do something similar with the Corsa dash that I will eventually install.
"We are the people our parents warned us about."
65corsaturbo

Post by 65corsaturbo »

Awesome progress, love the look of the wheels !
Bill Y.
65 Monza Convertible
65 Corsa 180 (under resto)
66 Corvair 500 (sold)
67 Crown V8 (sold)
94 Chevy Conversion Van-Big Red !
Pittsburgh, Pa.
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Why does the needle read 91?
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

joelsplace wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:18 pm Why does the needle read 91?
Hey Joelsplace!

Who knows why? My 2015 Nissan Juke's speedometer is a couple of MPH off. I was thinking that maybe a little wayward Indian satellite blasting down some phone-scam and scam email data may have interfered with my satellites. :)

My son told me he was only trying to reach 90MPH. He'll be disappointed if I tell him he only hit 88.

See you!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

GasDaddy140 wrote:My son told me he was only trying to reach 90MPH. He'll be disappointed if I tell him he only hit 88.
Why the DeLorean had to travel at 88 MPH to travel through time. (Back to the Future)

Provided the Flux Capacitor allowed time travel by generating a wormhole to the programmed temporal destination, but these wormholes are unstable and only last for a little over a tenth of a second.

If the wormhole stability was measured as lasting only .10717 seconds then to move a car 4.216 meters long (A DeLorean) through the wormhole before it closes you would need to be moving at 39.3395 meters per second or 88 MPH.

If you are moving too fast then the vehicle would reach the wormhole before it fully opens. The front part of the vehicle could be sheered off, spaghettified, be delivered to a different temporal location, and/or eaten by spacetime krakens (or the whole vehicle could simply vaporize from trying to coexist in spacetime with an opening wormhole, who knows). Also you could miss the wormhole completely and be forever known as that guy who crashed a DeLorean into Twin Pines Mall right before being gunned down by Libyan terrorists.

Going too slow would cause the back end of the car (the engine of the DeLorean) to remain in 1985. Possibly large portions of whoever was inside too.

Regardless, arriving in the past/future without the front of the vehicle/pieces of the occupants because you were going too fast or too slow is probably a bad thing.

It’s like walking into automatic doors. If you run full speed at the doors, they won’t open fast enough and you’ll get a number of lacerations and a trip to a hospital. If you walk too slowly, the doors begin to close on you (when you leave the motion sensor range) and you get a concussion when they close on your head.

Now these numbers are general and it is likely that Doc Brown gave himself some leeway on the timing (Human error and imprecise engineering being what they are, it would be hard to determine if the car is moving exactly 88 MPH). Most likely the Flux Capacitor is programmed not to activate until the car reaches the appropriate speed.

Yeah, but nobody ever put a Flux Capacitor in a Corvair... or did they???
:omgosh: :tease: :jawdrop:

:65Coupe: :Love it:
ImageImage
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”