Project 1964 Convertible

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
emceebrooks

Project 1964 Convertible

Post by emceebrooks »

Everyone,

I just posted an introduction and a couple of questions in specific areas, but wanted to share my project and see if any of you have any thoughts or advice for us as we tackle getting this car restored and running for my mother.

The car we bought is a 64 Monza Convertible 4-Speed. Body seems to be in pretty good shape-- a little rust underneath, and I can see where some has been repaired/bondo-ed around the car, but looks to be intact.

Best of all, she starts right up and seems to run well, and drive well.

Issues I can see from more major to minor are as follows:

(The first two I posted questions in the respective places on this forum)
1. Transmission is having a HARD time shifting into reverse, and pops out of reverse when backing up an incline.
2. Convertible Top rear window was separated from roof (zipper actually was unstitched)-- a local upholstery place says it has to be taken off and reattached ($400-500)
3. Speedometer/odometer don't work - still diagnosing whether it's the cable or the gauge.
4. Emergency Brake is not functional - looks like cable is broken under car
5. Rear springs need to be replaced (maybe front too?) - back end is sagging pretty badly
6. Fuel gauge doesn't work - Looks like someone did some work at the fuel sending unit recently, but still not working.
7. Turn signal switch is really worn and works/cancels very intermitently. Waiting for a steering wheel puller I ordered so I can diagnose this.
8. Top of the Dashboard is cracked and peeling (padded dash needs to be replaced). Trying to debate between seeing if I can find a used one or ordering a reproduced one.
9. Bottom of the two front seats need upholstery replaced (and drivers' side needs new springs) - other seats/upholstery is fine. I'll likely just order replacement bottom covers and then have our local upholstery replace the drivers' side springs.
10. Electrical switches need replacing/cleaning (headlight switch-- dash lights short out unless switch positioned exactly correct, headlight floor dimmer is gummed up.)

All in all, it seems a solid, well-running car.

I've already searched and gotten pointed in some helpful directions by other posts here, but if anyone has any particular thoughts or advice on any of this-- I'd appreciate it! Looking forward to getting everything working!

Marcus
Marcus Brooks
Columbus, OH / Orlando, FL

'64 Monza Convertible
perfectreign

Re: Project 1964 Convertible

Post by perfectreign »

Need pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kai Ponte - www.perfectreign.com

Image2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

Image 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Forget a used dash pad they are glued on and not removable. Forget repairing the rear window unless the rest of the top is perfect and stiching is perfect with no rot of the threads (not likely), in most cases it is better to spend this repair money as part of a top replacement.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
JWDEITCHER

Post by JWDEITCHER »

You may not need Springs in the back. The weight is in the back of the car and they naturally sit low. A lot of people cut the front Springs or put sand bags in the trunk to level out the car.

Clarks sells all of the wiring and it is top notch. I just re-wired my entire car and it's worth the investment.

Get the E-brake fixed. You can buy a kit through a vendor or build your own with parts from a hardware store. A corvair won't start in gear, so if you park on a hill...

Your transmission might just need some attention at the shifter. Clarks sells a kit for this that will make shifting butter soft.

Good luck with the build and (my .02 ) repair the e-brake before you do anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Anchored in the muddy shore of San Pablo Bay. Rodeo, Ca.

~1964 Monza convertible~
~1965 Monza Frankenstein coupe~
Instagram: @vondeitch
www.sfbacorsa.org
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The attached reference, 1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs, Indicates in the REGULAR EQUIPMENT — EXTERIOR chart on page 5 that Back-up Lamps were standard equipment on the Corvair 600 series (Spyder) and 900 series (Monza) models. Page 9 lists REGULAR PRODUCTION OPTIONS and indicates that Back-up Lamps were part of RPO Z01 for the Corvair 500 and 700 series vehicles. The installation of the backup lights would be indicated by 1964 Fisher bodytags ACC line code 2P.

Here is some information on the back-up lamp system that may be present (at least in part) on your Corvair. You will have to examine the manual transmission to look for a backup light witch and associated wiring.

According to the shop manual, the heater fan and backup lights are both supported by the same 20 amp fuse. It is the third fuse in the fuse block. Check the fuse to ensure that it has not failed.

Troubleshooting the circuit should be fairly straightforward. If you have access to a multimeter to test the circuit, you should be able to test the backup light switch function at the transmission, using a multimeter to measure continuity (ohms). With the backup light switch disconnected from the circuit, you should read an OPEN condition between the two terminals of the backup light switch with the transmission NOT in reverse. If you shift the transmission into the reverse gear, you should have continuity between the two electrical terminals of the switch (switch CLOSED). If the switch does not show electrical continuity through it when the transmission is in REVERSE, the switch has failed and needs to be replaced.

You can follow the schematic wiring diagram below to check for the presence of the wiring needed to complete the circuit to the backup light sockets. 1156 bulbs should be present in each backup light socket.

A 20gauge B/LG (Black with Light Green Stripe) wire normally carries voltage from the fuse block to the transmission backup light switch, and then continues to the rear of the car, where it passes through the 10-pin multi-connector in the engine compartment. The output of the multi-connector divides with a separate wire traveling through the wiring harness to each back-up light socket, where the voltage passes through each 1156 bulb, which is then grounded by the bulb socket to chassis ground. I believe the ignition key needs to be in the ON position for power to be applied to the circuit. With the key ON, you should be able to measure 12 V DC between the voltage lead in the tunnel under the car and GROUND. If you measure voltage present on that wire, the backup lights should illuminate if you connect the other lead in the harness to the voltage lead. If the backup lights illuminate properly when you connect the two wires together you have proven electrical continuity from the fuse block to the backup lights. You only need to add a functioning backup light switch to the circuit to reestablish the backup lights function in your Corvair.

In the schematic diagram below I have combined the engine compartment, interior and trunk wiring diagrams for the 1964 Corvair passenger car into a single diagram.

Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan"...
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic
CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

If you find that your backup light switch has failed you have two options. Clark's Corvair Parts offers a replacement switch that can be installed in the transmission to reestablish a working backup light circuit. Alternately, you may choose to use the three speed transmission backup light switch as a substitute for the switch is installed in a four speed transmission. The three speed transmission switch is physically located in the tunnel and utilizes the moving shift linkage in the tunnel to close the switch. The three speed switch option is labeled "fix-it kit" in the center of the catalog page shown below.

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=84B

Part number C5364: 61-65 4SP BACK-UP SWITCH *EXACT REPRO BOOT & GASKET (C383A) INCLUDED

Weight: 0 lbs 10 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84B
Price: $ 53.50

Part number C8379: 4 SPEED BACK UP SWITCH FIX-THEY LEAVE OLD SWITCH IN PLACE-THIS WORKS OFF SHIFT ROD

Weight: 1 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84B
Price: $ 39.05

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=95

Part number C213RG (Regular): 64 BACKUP LENS WITH "GUIDE"

Weight: 0 lbs 6 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 95
Price: $ 22.10

1156 bulbs only belong in the backup light sockets. The two locking pins in the 1157 bulb are positioned at different heights on the side of the bayonet base/lamp socket, to ensure that they are properly inserted.

ImageImage

:chevy:
Attachments
1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Regarding the rear springs - the 64 cars had a unique spring rate due to the revised (better) rear suspension. If the rear springs are bad (typically they are) you'll have too much wheel camber. New springs will raise the rear and correct excess camber.

The front springs rarely need replacing. Some do cut a coil to lower the front, but first replace the rear springs and you may find the car sits fairly level. Cutting a coil off the front will also stiffen up the ride. I just do the rears and it works for me.

Since the car is for your Mother I'd avoid lowering too much. The "slammed" look is fine, but getting in and out of a lowered car is not fun for "mature" folks.
emceebrooks

Post by emceebrooks »

Wow, thanks everyone! Unfortunately it snowed here and is freezing so I’m not going to be able to make as much progress on this as I wanted this week! I’ll send some photos— perfectreign— when I can get it out of the garage to take some....However some more questions— (terribleted) —how much should I expect to pay an upholstery shop to replace the convertible top, in addition to the top kit?
Thanks for the thoughts about the shifter, JWDEITCHER— I’ll try to dig into there and see what’s going on. The e-brake may be out of my league since I don’t have a lift, I may try to find a local mechanic to tackle that. bbodie52–wow thanks for all the detail—you’re right, someone modified this to remove the backup lights and replace with red tail lights. I thought I was going crazy, I can see where it’s been reworked. 66vairguy—it definitely needs rear springs—the rear tires are almost touching the upper wheel housing. Ill take measurements and see how far down it is, but good word on the lowering! Will keep you all apprised as I dig into it. Thanks and merry Christmas!
Marcus Brooks

'64 Monza Convertible
emceebrooks

Post by emceebrooks »

Ok, so I looked into the Springs today. Section 3-8 of the shop manual says the measurement from ground to bottom of the rocker panel should be 9 3/4”.
7B545C6A-00E9-42F8-99ED-8622DF1D8399.png
. Should I be concerned? Mine measures 7 1/4” on both sides of the front and 5” on both sides of the rear. Does that tell me I need front and rear springs or will just replacing the rear springs work? Thoughts?
Marcus Brooks

'64 Monza Convertible
emceebrooks

Post by emceebrooks »

And here’s the status of the E-brake. I haven’t been able to jack it up yet, but see two breaks in the cable, one under the drivers door (photo here)
4ED191C4-C0AB-4C3F-BC41-AB6BA83CABDD.jpeg
and the other break in front of the LR tire. (Photo here)
9BC0C178-A1ED-45B3-9E0D-734A948529BB.jpeg
any thoughts?
Marcus Brooks

'64 Monza Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Looks like a speedometer cable to me. E-Brake goes through the tunnel & it's a bare cable.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
emceebrooks

Post by emceebrooks »

But speedometer cable attaches to front left wheel, right? So it wouldn’t go to back left wheel would it?
Marcus Brooks

'64 Monza Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Not on an early model.
Attachments
132.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

That broken cable is the speedo cable. The ebrake cable runs down the center of the tunnel to a "Y" that splits to the rear wheels just forward of the transmission mounting crossmember
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

emceebrooks

Post by emceebrooks »

Ok, super helpful. So, I now know I don’t need to diagnose the gauge! Thanks!!
Marcus Brooks

'64 Monza Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

emceebrooks wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:43 am Ok, super helpful. So, I now know I don’t need to diagnose the gauge! Thanks!!
At least not until you replace the cable:)

emceebrooks

Post by emceebrooks »

Here's some long-promised photos. We got a lot of it fixed oursevles, but Jeff at Corvair Ranch was especially helpful with the difficult stuff.....(ended up needing a new transmission)...
Marcus Brooks

'64 Monza Convertible

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”