First Corvair, a '60 Coupe, Piecing it together.

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
FoiledAgain

First Corvair, a '60 Coupe, Piecing it together.

Post by FoiledAgain »

My first Corvair, that is.

Time to get this thing on the hump!

Started with the driver's 'floor'. I'm going one at a time to keep some semblance of order. Cut away the bad-news parts and and chiseled away the material from the existing floor supports/frame spars which were in decent shape.

Kinda hard to make out what's what here, but floor gone and that's some cardboard on the ground beneath the vehicle.

I should take a moment to point out one great thing about Corvairs- the control cables, throttle linkage, fuel line and such that run through the tunnel on VWs and are accessible only with can openers and Dynamite are easy to get to thanks to a couple access panels below and one above. Everything just hangs out waiting to be easily fixed. Way to go, Mister Corvair! Also, no throttle cable but instead aluminum tubing with a bellcrank. Kinda neat. But boy, was that accelerator pedal rusted stuck...yeesh. Real mess.

The new floor panel fitted, holes drilled to plug-weld to the floor supports and the surrounding decent floor metal. Maytag, nice and thick from an old machine. NEVER THROW AWAY ANYTHING- that is my motto. This is approximately a 1 1/2 washing-machine floor repair, or one fridge. A coupla sheetmetal screws to hold 'er in place and to suck the sheet down to the floor supports which are later removed and welded up.

I considered rolling a few beads in it but honestly there is only a small unsupported portion and with so many nice hammer dents it's pretty doggone stiff anyway.

Weld, hammer, weld, hammer, make everything fit, you know the drill. Man, I am not a very talented welder, like, AT ALL.
It's far from pretty but it's solid and sound. One down, three to go. The weather is about to take a turn for the crappy for the better part of this week so I'll not be cutting/beating/welding in favor of rebuilding the carburetors.

One-Eyeless In Gaza. Had to gouge out one of its peepers to get into the trunk.
I believe I will 86 the front Chevy doo-dad- it makes the vehicle look like it has a small self-satisfied smirk and I can't have that, so will probably weld up those holes.

That is all for now.
Jerry Whitt

Re: First Corvair, a '60 Coupe, Piecing it together.

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Looks like a fun project, Welcome to the Forum!
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
crogers
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by crogers »

Cool car man! Welcome to the group. I have a 60 500 coupe
Attachments
FB_IMG_1471391234666.jpg
1960 500 coupe 3spd
1960 700 sedan pg.
1962 Monza coupe 4spd.
1962 spyder convertible
1964 Monza coupe pg.
1964 Monza convertible 4spd.
1966 corsa coupe turbo
FoiledAgain

Maytag, you're It

Post by FoiledAgain »

Thanks, guys! It's coming along, the scrap pile is diminishing, and the vehicle is beginning to tell me who it is.

Very nice coupe there.
FoiledAgain

Primer? Primer's for sissies.

Post by FoiledAgain »

Hoooo boy- did Chevrolet ever have an open-door policy toward the use of coatings in 1960.
I've been chiseling out a great deal of structural metal that has exactly zero primer on its backside, so no wonder these things collapsed into rust piles. Unbelievable. This ain't gonna be easy at all.

And no, I ain't showing no damn pictures. At least not yet.
FoiledAgain

Post by FoiledAgain »

To help defray costs I've created a nonprofit. We sell shirts.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Great car-working attitude Foiledagain!
Where did you score your sweet Corvair nugget?
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”