Apittslife's '66 Corsa Turbo

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Apittslife

Re: Apittslife's '66 Corsa Turbo

Post by Apittslife »

Didnt have a bunch of time to mess with the corvair this week. But over the course of the week, I did strip the drivers rear quarter panel of the multiple layer's of Primer & Marina Blue Paint, Plus a coat of body filler that went from B-pillar to tail panel. She took a pretty good hit just behind the rear wheel opening, & they must have charged him for a gallon of body filler, so they used it on that quarter panel. I straightened the worst of it out. There will still be some filler in it, but nothing like there was. The rusted area's were minimal, & I will try to take care of them in the next week or so. My Girl is going to be a Driver, & I wont be ashamed to say she isnt Perfect.

BTW, GM sure was afraid the quarter panel badge may come loose. 3 barrel nuts hold that thing in place. LOL
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Removed 2 rusted areas, & replaced them with new metal, Took a couple body hammers & dollies to the areas I knew I could make better, & started to add filler to the areas that needed it. I will NOT be using as much as they did, but she will have some body filler.

I was tired of using the parking brake as a means to stop the car, So yesterday, I purchased a 67 camaro mastercylinder, & installed it in place of the original, & while bleeding the system, The left front brake line blew out, above the fuel tank. So now I get the pleasure of dropping the fuel tank, & while I am in there, I will be replacing both front brake lines, So I hopefully never have to drop it again. LOL

Ran into someone that knew Tom, & the Corvair last week. Firstly, He was very surprised I am the new owner of the car. He thought it, & the chevelle were lost years ago, & then he asked if I had the turbo engine? Then he told me that the engine had been pulled apart & fully balanced, & that Tom had some machine work done to the motor & heads, & the Car was a beast back in the day. He said there wasnt a vette it couldnt beat, on the street or the track! LOL, I think, He was stretching thing to the breaking point on that. But it was fun to listen to him talk about the car & about my friends Chevelle. Evidently Tom did some drag racing at the Ohio Valley drag strip with both cars & with an English Ford straight axle car.

Will take a couple pics of the Mastercylinder install when I remember to take my phone with me to work. lol
Attachments
IMG_20171213_165852.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

When I had a steel brake line burst on my GMC truck (in the engine compartment, where it was attached to the frame rail near the power steering pump unit) I ended up replacing every steel line in the truck. That was a real bucket of worms, when you considered the plumbing associated with the anti-lock brake system! In any case, I would think it wise for you to replace ALL of the steel brake lines throughout your Corvair. If one line burst due to internal corrosion caused by age and water contamination in the brake fluid (which is hygroscopic — tends to absorb moisture from the air) you can assume that other deterioration has occurred in your brake system that is invisible until it fails and bursts. The internal condition of the flexible rubber brake lines may also show swelling and deterioration with age. Clark's includes a warning about those rubber lines as well in their online catalog.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... graygo.y=0

bbodie52 wrote:The brake system in your aging Corvair needs to be monitored. The condition of the aging seals in the master cylinder and wheel cylinders is certainly questionable. All should be inspected regularly. The flexible brake hoses also should be monitored, as they can swell on the inside and restrict brake fluid flow. Of course the drums and brake components should be inspected and repaired, as needed, and the brake fluid should be flushed and replaced every few years. (Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air over time. Excess water build-up in the fluid can rust steel brake lines and cause corrosive damage to the internal wheel and master cylinders. Moisture in the brake fluid will also lower the boiling point, which can result in early brake fade as the brakes get hot).
The parking brake assembly is also critically important — not only as an emergency brake but because the Powerglide-equipped Corvair has no PARK position to lock the transmission when you park the vehicle. You must rely completely on the parking brake system to secure the vehicle when it is parked. The front and rear cables and the pulleys should be inspected periodically and lubricated as needed. A frayed cable can separate without warning and possibly leave your Corvair rolling down a hill or driveway if it snaps.

While I'm speechifying from my computer-generated virtual soapbox, I should mention checking the condition of the fuel tank hardware, filler neck hose, etc. The special hose used on the tank filler neck has a reputation of developing leaks as it ages. The result can be fuel dripping on the driveway when the tank is full. The hose is impossible to replace without removing the tank, so it might be wise to replace it and any other rusty, decaying mounting hardware while you have the tank out of the car.

Part number C1045: HOSE-60-69 CARS GAS TANK FILLER NECK *ENOUGH FOR ONE TANK, CLAMPS=C1044 2 NEEDED

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 70(8)
Price: $ 7.95

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Thanks, I plan on it, & had planned to replace the rubber hoses Excetra, But was hoping to get the brakes working, so I could use them instead of the Parking brake. As I pull the car out of the shop when I need that bay for customers vehicals.

Here is a couple pics that I promised of the MC, & Tubing.
Attachments
IMG_20171222_075919.jpg
IMG_20171222_075947.jpg
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

A Good Friend of mine, Just purchased a 66 Nova.
Well it had aftermarket seats in it, & he Hates aftermarket seats, so he ask if I was willing to trade seats?
So here are my new seats set in place. Have to do a bit more interior cleaning, before I mount them. lol. :tongue:
They really did look like shit in the Nova. Too large, & were a couple inches from touching the headliner.
They actually look nice in the corvair, atleast to me. lol. :tu:
Attachments
1514586955109.jpg
1514586955109.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 727 times
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Those seats look pretty nice! The fit as well. Should be nice and light, too. Nice score!

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Thank you!
Intended on replacing them, as the original seat backs do not have the right back support, as I am 6 ft. tall. So These were a great deal. But we both won on this.
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Well with the crappy weather we have had around here the last week, I had a couple days to mess with my Corsa.
I dropped the fuel tank for no reason. :doh: I thought one or both lines were rusted up front, but I was wrong. :dontknow:
Replaced the filler-neck & vent hoses, as they fell apart from old age. So I started to bleed the brakes & blew a rear line & replaced it. I have good fluid pressure & flow prior to the hoses, But little to none after the hoses. So next is getting in contact with Clarks & getting a set of rubber lines, But at least I can use the brake pedal, for driving it in & out of the shop. Only the left front brake is actually doing something, With the right rear wanting to but not succeeding.

Since I had the wheels off, & fuel tank out, & the original owner had a used but working Speedo cable in the trunk. I replace the original one as it was broken. So now I know how slow the car is going in & out of the shop. :tongue:

Not alot of progress, but some. So I will be happy with that.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”