1960 900 Monza "CorVefe"

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Flexo

1960 900 Monza "CorVefe"

Post by Flexo »

After much cleaning and work (replaced dist cap rotor, points; fuel pump; wires; plugs) i've finally got her running! oil leak on the right bank of cylinders, probably a pushrod drain tube o-ring. Does anyone have any advice for replacing those without removing the muffler? I've already replaced the valve cover gasket on both sides.

I had to fabricate the throttle linkage that connects the carbs to the cross-linkage. I used 1/8" round stock. I'm looking for proper replacement parts for those linkages. (there's a little more "slop" in the ones i made than I like) Does anyone have the proper ones for sale? Clark's doesn't have an option for me, as '60 models are pretty specific, and ones for older models can't be modified, or so they say.

I also am looking for an automatic choke mechanism that seems to be missing from my motor. I can't assemble the air cleaner without it, or i'll never be able to choke the motor for a cold start.

does anybody have a '60 parts car that they'd be willing to sell these parts to me?

thanks in advance!

John (Birmingham, AL)
terribleted

Re: 1960 900 Monza "CorVefe"

Post by terribleted »

Check with the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, PA for used parts that you need. Generally exhaust removal is needed to change pushrod tube O-rings as the tubs come out the outside of the head and if there is a muffler there, there is usually not enough space to get them out nicely. I would not try to remove the muffler itself. I generally remove the exhaust system ad a unit at the manifolds as that is usually easier.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
caroseiii

Re: 1960 900 Monza "CorVefe"

Post by caroseiii »

John, I have the choke parts and other 1960 parts available. Send me a message.

Yes, you have to remove the muffler to replace the pushrod tube seals. Some 60s do not require the removal of the rocker stud to remove the guide plates so check your application.

Crawford Rose

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”