New Zealand's Latest Corvair

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
SeamusNZ

New Zealand's Latest Corvair

Post by SeamusNZ »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
NZ Spyder (1).jpg
Hi all from New Zealand,

My '62 Spyder is all but complete after a full ground up rebuild. I am still considering obtaining a turbo engine to complete the project, however the twin carb engine will get me around in the meantime. The car is a dream to drive and travels extremely well for its age.

The car, perhaps the only one in New Zealand, was last on the road in 1975 and has taken me around 18 months to rebuild her. Clark's and Jeff at California Corvairs have both been very instrumental on getting the car to this point as have you guys at the Corvair yForum. Prior to purchasing the car, I hadn't even heard of a Corvair, little own seen one, so it has been quite a learning curve.

So here it is......

Kind regards...SeamusNZ
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by SeamusNZ on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New Zealand's Latest Corvair

Post by bbodie52 »

I flipped some of your images for those of us to view who are north of the equator.

:clap: It looks great! Instead of a turbocharged engine that is somewhat expensive, difficult to tune, and demands expensive high-octane Premium fuel, and gets relatively poor gas mileage, you might consider the installation of an Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Distributorless, computer-controlled General Motors-based upgrade. The EFI throttle bodies permit increased airflow for better top-end performance (I believe), reliability and better mileage on perhaps Regular fuel could be achieved. A somewhat expensive upgrade, but comparable to the expense of converting to a turbocharged engine may make such a configuration a desirable possibility — especially given your location.

:link: http://www.corvairefi.com/

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.c ... ry=fuelinj
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Nicely done! That's a car to be proud of. I wouldn't hesitate to find or build a good turbo engine to swap into that spyder. Corvair turbo engines really are very simple and easy to work on just like their normally aspirated kin. I don't know why people make them out to be so cumbersome and complicated. Yeah they get worse mileage but that doesn't look like a car you'll be daily driving.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
chris

Post by chris »

A nice looking Corvair and you're in New Zealand. What a great combination!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”