Bucket Seat Replacement

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Spike65

Bucket Seat Replacement

Post by Spike65 »

I looking to replace the bucket seats in my 1965 Corsa convertible. Would like to get a set of later model buckets with the headrests or highbacks hopefully in red. Second choice would be an aftermarket suggestion that would fit the '65 with as little replacing items as possible. Any suggestions of thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
terribleted

Re: Bucket Seat Replacement

Post by terribleted »

There are many possible choices all depends on what you like. ALL except original Corvair seats will require modification to the seats or the cars floor to mount properly (evenly and safely). The amount difficulty of mounting will or course vary with the seat chosen.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

There are a zillion Mazda Miatas out in the world with a wide variety of colored bucket seats. Check your local wrecking yard or eBay. I put Miata bucket seats in a 1970 Datsun 2000 Roadster and they were great.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Corbeau bucket seats will fit and they even make sliders for late model corvairs although I had to drill the holes out in the brackets I got because they were not aligned with the factory mounting points perfectly. Still, no hacking or modifying of stock sliders or the floor.
Attachments
Cor1.jpg
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
Spike65

Post by Spike65 »

Thank guys appreciate your suggestions
Spike

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65Monza140

Post by 65Monza140 »

Hello All,

I'm looking for bucket seats that have integral shoulder belts mounted as part of the seat. I want the shoulder belts in front due to safety stats.

I've seen some wrap around type seats that have this shoulder belt feature, but didn't get info on them.

Anyone seen this type of shoulder belt set up?
manvair

Post by manvair »

65Monza140 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:33 pm I'm looking for bucket seats that have integral shoulder belts mounted as part of the seat.
I've done some looking into this myself for my LM convertible. There are a number of complications- floor reinforcement is required, many seats are much heavier than stick, have complex external electronics, and need to fold forward for access to the back seat. That pretty much reduces you down to some late model convertibles:

Saab 93
BMW 3 series
Chrysler Sebring

If you don't need to fold forward, you have a few more choices like some 2 seat convertibles and a few trucks like a couple years of the chevy trailblazer and many years of the GM full size trucks. But, those seats tend to be more bench-like and less bucket-like.

In the end, I think I will forgo the integrated belts, and add them to the door opening instead. That opens more options for seats and will be lower weight overall.

allan
1965 Monza vert
Central VA
scooperman

Post by scooperman »

My interior preference is an older look, like something you would find back in the day. My old race car has a 60s bucket race seat, I would not want that in a daily driver. My Vair is not air conditioned and I live in Florida, so although I like the leatherish look and feel I probably should get vented or cloth insert seats.

I go to car shows/events and steal interesting ideas for my eventual Vair rebuild. I saw a nice 66 Nova with seats that looked comfy and not out of place, asked the owner if they were custom made. No, they were Procar seats from Speedway Motors, and he said he liked everything about them, no problems. I poked around on the Speedway site and found this seat also available with a hounds tooth insert. I have not purchased seats yet, I might go with these.
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

I have the Procar wiyh out headrest in my Wagon and are very comfortable. The only issue would be with a 2 door they do not fold forward.
Attachments
20220918_142455.jpg
sh011956@aol.com

Post by sh011956@aol.com »

I too was looking at the local LKQ yard for a nice set of buckets for my LM convertible. I found that most later model cars have air bags built into the seats. I didn't like the idea of having a non-functional airbag on my shoulder. It might accidentally "function".
Yelocar
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Yelocar »

I went with Procar seats. I then had them upholstered in red Clark’s matching vinyl (I didn’t replace the back seat). I think they turned out pretty well.
Attachments
IMG_8103.jpeg
IMG_8102.jpeg
Rod
1964 110 Monza Convertible
1966 140 Corsa
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I've used Honda Civic seats (pre airbag) in two of my cars. They are comfortable adjustable and tilt forward for rear seat entry.
Attachments
IMG_8564.jpeg
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
fred bagnall

Post by fred bagnall »

I might also add that there is a substantial weight savings eliminating the Corvair seats. I have been a stock guy most years, but lately I've realized a lot of advantages with replacing my seating for something newer.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”