Turbo question?

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Corsa180T

Turbo question?

Post by Corsa180T »

Hi, my turbo was disassembled when I bought the car and now it's time to make it run again, But when I assembled it yesterday I thought the wheels was hard to spin and I found that the heat shield was in contact with the exhaust wheel and not push all the way back by the exhaust housing.
Then I remembered a broken gasket was laying in the box where all the other parts was before and it seems to fit between the heating shield and the housing but I can't see it in the manual or parts list. What is your experience?Image
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Turbo question?

Post by thewolfe »

That gasket is a band aid. Normally nothing goes there. What happens is the housings rust and get eaten away which makes them not able to push the heat shield back far enough to free the exhaust turbine. The proper way to fix it would be to either get another housing that isn't eaten away or have yours machined flat and the appropriate thickness shim installed, made of copper or steel. You can get custom made copper gaskets online and they aren't very expensive. You can probably get away with a just new gasket there but it may not push down on the shield evenly. I would go with copper and not fiber or whatever you have there.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
Corsa180T

Post by Corsa180T »

Ok, thats why I couldn't find it in the manual or parts list. Thanks for the explanation.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Corvair Forum mobile app

Scott V

Post by Scott V »

clarks has the shims you need. http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C5705

-Scott V.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”