140 Motor Progress

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
GasDaddy140

140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

First of all, what a great site for information and Corvair spirit! I dig it.

Rebuilding the 140 engine in my garage, on a solid work table, having made more progress. A repair job really, no restoration beauty. New bearings, piston rings, valves look great, and so do springs. My 4 carbs are in the hands of a professional...so are my rear wheel hub assemblies. I inserted the pistons using a good ring compressor and a hammer's wooden handle.

So, that little spark plug looking temperature sending unit, if it actually works, can I wire it to an after market head temperature gauge? Any brand recommendations?

When I compression check it soon, will it reach 180 psi if all is well?
Attachments
IMG_3385.jpg
IMG_3380.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
66vairguy

Re: 140 Motor Progress

Post by 66vairguy »

The "spark plug thingy" is a thermistor with a temperature coefficient that (as far as anybody knows) was used ONLY with the Corvair temperature gauge (Delco also sold them for use in small aircraft). Most new gauges use a thermocouple design, BUT you have to make sure the gauge has "cold junction compensation". Early relatively inexpensive gauges DID NOT leading to errors at temperatures above or below about 70F ambient. Now cold junction compensation is becoming common on automotive cylinder head temperature gauges.

BTW - A few folks are working on a new driver for the Corvair gauge, but at the moment only USED thermistors are available so you could sell yours if it is intact.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Thanks! I'll take it out tomorrow, I don't have the Corsa dash. It's for sale.
I still want head temperature though. Are the real spark plug type with ring any good? 600F type seem to be aircraft, $$$.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

I'm very happy that I've found a lot of parts that I stashed over 3 years ago when I dropped the engine and transmission out of my Corsa find and disassembled. I have some retro thick cast aluminum valve covers too. They're black with ribs and a couple of #s cast into the inside. This is my FIRST Corvair motor rebuild so it all seems a little weird at times, but touching all of the internal parts and recreating this American air-cooled flat six cylinder is fun. My cat hangs around me a lot, but also just sleeps on some metal parts like the flywheel. I'm trying to do a little each day.
Attachments
IMG_3410.jpg
16700220_1441700269197098_490945962575381290_o.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

Slow progress is good progress. Congrats on finding all the parts!

Looks like a 'vairy happy cat!
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Rod cap ends and head bolts torqued. My friend Andy is a real hot rodder/mechanic and mostly a Ford guy, but has become fascinated with my Chevy air cooled flat six! I explained to him how we're going to run-it on the ground too. More progress...each and every...little bit counts.
Attachments
IMG_3426.jpg
IMG_3417.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
County98

Post by County98 »

Very cool bud. Keep it up!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

We're watching! You're gonna love the sensation when it fires for the first time!
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
GasDaddy140

Re: Rocker adjustments-140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Glad to announce that the crank bolt can be turned with pistons translating outward and inward sounding a little like sand paper against the honed cylinders and new piston rings. A piece of blue paper towel twisted into a spark plug hole "popped" across the garage with compression. All the valves are opening and closing. I adjusted each rocker with each piston at TDC with just a hair of wiggle. On a water cooled engine I would use a feeler gauge. I think that on these Corvair motors that I'm suppose to tighten them even more. Just checking in.
Attachments
IMG_3431.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Was that a question?

With each piston at TDC on the compression stroke (both valves fully closed), most will adjust to zero lash and then 3/4 turn further in.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Yes, it was a question. Thank you!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

GasDaddy140 wrote:...On a water cooled engine I would use a feeler gauge. I think that on these Corvair motors that I'm suppose to tighten them even more. Just checking in...
A feeler gauge is used to set a specified gap between the valve and the camshaft (rocker arm) on an overhead cam or solid lifter based engine. As the engine warms up to operating temperature the valve train components expand, so the clearances will change. Adjusted too tight, the clearances will disappear and may even cause the valves to never close completely on a warm engine.

Many engines — the Corvair included — utilize hydraulic lifters. These lifters are filled with oil and a hydraulic piston system that automatically maintains zero valve train clearances without becoming too tight and preventing the valves from fully closing. An aluminum engine, such as the Corvair, has more extreme variations in expansion and contraction with temperature changes than would be found in a cast iron engine. The hydraulic lifters are ideal for compensating for these component variations associated with heat. The correct valve train adjustments in a Corvair adjust for zero clearance. Then the valve train is tightened further to center the piston in each hydraulic lifter so that it can automatically move up or down to compensate for component variations associated with engine temperature changes.

Doug wrote:...my Corvair engine has slight ticking after sitting for a few days...
This is a somewhat normal "flaw" in the Corvair. The hydraulic lifters used in the Corvair are the same design used in the V8 Chevrolet engine. However, in the V8 the lifter orientation is somewhat more vertical, with its center-mounted camshaft and the heads above the lifters. In the Corvair, the orientation between the camshaft and the heads is horizontal, which means that the 12 lifters are all laying on their side. The lifters also rotate in their bore in normal operation, and randomly the oil hole in the side of each lifter may end up oriented downward when the engine is shut off. Time and gravity may allow some of the lifters to permit their oil reservoir to drain. When the engine is later restarted, one or more lifters may not be able to hydraulically take up the gap between the rocker arm and valve head until the engine oil pressure refills the oil reservoir in the lifter. Until that happens the engine will emit a tapping sound from each portion of the valve train that has been drained of the oil in its hydraulic lifter.

ImageImage

Corvair valves can be adjusted with the engine running, as shown in this video. (A cut valve cover catches dripping oil).

The procedure in the shop manual attachment below shows how to make a static adjustment...

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE PUSHROD TUBES AND O-RINGS and VALVE ADJUST.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE PUSHROD TUBES AND O-RINGS and VALVE ADJUST
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Alan - Glad things are moving along. A caution on the cold valve adjustment. This procedure is a bit tricky. The Corvair and SBC engines use individual rockers on balls. It makes finding zero lash difficult. If the lifter is dry only the lifter spring pushes on the pushrod with reduced tension. So finding zero lash takes some patience and a gentle touch. Also the rocker tends to "wobble" until a fair amount of pressure is put on it. Some folks over tighten the valve adjustment thinking a tight rocker is the start of zero lash, it isn't. The general consensus (and it's worked for me) is to "jiggle and spin" the pushrod and tighten the rocker nut until there is no play - it take a gentle touch. THEN tighten down the rocker - BUT how much depends on if the cam is new or used. With a new cam you can turn down 3/4 turn beyond zero lash. If the cam is used then 1/2 turn is recommended. BTW after you break in a new cam a hot adjust is recommended (engine running, cut valve cover in place). Back off rocker nut until CLICK CLACK and tighten until silent then SLOWLY turn down 1/2 (allow the lifter to bled down). Some suggest only going to 1/4 turn to prevent "lifter pump up". This suggesting has been around since the SBC was invented. The cause of lifter pump up is high RPM were the valve springs can't close the valve fast enough and the lifter pumps up, temporarily, trying to close the gap. The down side of only using 1/4 turn is the lifter pumps a little less oil up the push rod to the rocker assembly. So now the general consensus is to tighten 1/2 turn beyond zero lash on a broken in cam.

If you want to go racing - it's time for high tension valve springs to prevent valve float - and of course that puts the cam at higher risk.

Good luck on the first start up. OH - do prime the engine oil pump while rotating the engine before the first start. Also a good time to look for oil leaks around the cover, oil filter, oil cooler, etc.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Thanks 66vairguy-I'll heed that good advice. I haven't really worked on any engine except my 71 Dodge van's 318 V8 in a long time, I'm a little rusty.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Re: More Stuff Completed 140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

A good weekend for Corvair motor work! My friend Andy hammered the oil pan back into shape pretty good, you can see the rear edges again. Exhaust logs are installed and awaiting new U-Pipes and gaskets. The valve covers I painted because they were very oxidized, the inside is how they looked when I tore the engine down, pretty clean. I have two starters, one was full of water and mud, turned out to be the best one for rebuild! My neighbor/friend/hot-rodder Andy, actually rebuilt both of them on top of his recycle bin, I'm OK with that. Slow steady progress continues..
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_3455.jpg
IMG_3454.jpg
IMG_3452.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
joefarmer

Post by joefarmer »

Alan - Thanks for documenting your progress here. I just pulled my 110 out from under the car this weekend and will begin disassembly this coming weekend (after hitting everything with a pressure washer and some heavy duty degreaser). To be honest I am super nervous about the engine not going back together and running correctly. Any advice for someone who has never rebuilt an air-cooled engine???

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”