69 140 Coupe

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
xrotaryguy

Re: 69 140 Coupe

Post by xrotaryguy »

I did some linkage adjusting this weekend and the car drives MUCH better now.

On the way home from the car show last weekend, I started losing power. Turned out to be a set screw on my Holley carb linkage adapter. The set screw was broken so I just adjusted out a bunch of slack in the linkage and drove home that way. Bought a new $0.23 set screw this weekend and adjusted the throttle linkage in several places and now the throttle feels better than ever.

While I had the car up, I noticed that the clutch cable was supposed to be wrapped over a pulley. Who knew! Routed that properly, did some more adjusting and wow! The car is so much nicer to drive now!

I'm really looking forward to putting this car on the autocross track this Sunday. I need to change the oil one more time (and check for metal again I guess). I'm going with Royal Purple. I'm also going to screw down my fire extinguisher.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Nice progress report :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
notched

Post by notched »

Car looks real good!
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Thanks guys! I was hoping to get dash lights and my charging light working this week as well but I'm about out of time before the autocross race on Sunday. Guess I'll keep using a flashlight and watching my volt meter like a hawk haha.

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

The set screw on my Holley carb adapter linkage keeps loosening, causing me to get stuck in traffic. Fun!

I'm gonna pick up some blue LockTite on my way home

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

The app is acting weird. I can't see threads unless I go to the website or do a search.

Anyway, yesterday's autocross went well enough.

Lots of disappointing times.
Lots of hilarious sliding around.

This may be the most fun autocross car I've ever driven.

My front brakes like to lock up inconsistently. Time to service those and probably time to look at wheel bearings too.

The Holley carb still has that flat spot off idle. It'd be really helpful on track if that issue went away. Probably an accelerator pump adjustment.

Oh, and I had some pinging on the way home again. It was about 95 F today so that didn't help. No detectable pinging on track, just on the freeway. I'll probably just take another degree out of it and see if I can't advance the dist again after the weather cools down.

cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:coolphotos:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Dash lights work! After hours of tracing dash wiring, I finally checked the headlight. It's a little flaky. Wiggled the knob and most of the lights flickered on. Duh... I just need a couple bulbs and I'm good to go.

On another note, the next SCCA autocross takes place on the same day as my company's annual golf outing. Grrr! Professional development trumps racing this time. Oh well, I'll be sure to slice the ball left and right plenty. Gives that "all sideways and outta control" feel :)

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Started working on the brakes. I first adjusted both wheel bearings. The right one was a bit loose. The left was fine. Both appeared to have been packed recently so I didn't repack them.

No change. Tightening up the right wheel bearing seems to have made no difference in front lockup. I feel like right/left lockup is random too. It's not one wheel or the other that's more prone to lockup. I'm going to inspect the pads (again) too. Maybe someone has put short pads on the left and long pats on the right... or some other goofyness.

Otherwise, it is common to have front lockup on these cars? My 65 didn't seem to do this but it was a convertible so it was heavier. Those were very different wheels and tires too.

Maybe an adjusting proportioning valve would be helpful?

Maybe the FLAPS sold me the wrong master cylinder?
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

You mentioned "pads". Are you running disc or drums up front?

Very unusual for disc brakes to pull to one side or the other.

With drums it could be a number of things. When braking is inconsistent I check the baking plate for wear on the shoe stand off pads - if they are grooved you'll have to repair them. Also look for parts/springs that are broken or installed incorrectly.
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Oops. Shoes. The brakes are all stock.

Good idea checking on the backing plate. People don't usually check that and I've had a couple backing plates mess up brakes on another car. The old Mazda Rx2 had really flexy backing plates out back. Made the fronts lock all the time.

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

All ready for Autocross in Fontana tomorrow. Image

toytron

Post by toytron »

Fontana?

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Yep! I think I finally learned how to drive a Corvair a little today.

toytron

Post by toytron »

Actually I didn't realize you were referring to Fontana California because I use to live in Wisconsin and there is a Fontana there so I got confused.

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Ha! I had no idea there was a Fontana in Wisconsin. How's the weather there? Maybe not the best for autocross right now?

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”