'63 Spyder almost ready for paint

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Nickshu

Re: '63 Spyder almost ready for paint

Post by Nickshu »

Looks great!
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

I'm working on the final paint prep on my 61 right now. How do you get the hood sprayed inside the vent louvers? I think I'd rather paint the rest of the car 3 times than paint that hood once.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

Well, as I do all my paint jobs, i like to remove hood, trunk, and doors and paint separately. As far as the louvers on the hood? It is more Spray gun technique than anything, basically adjust the HVLP gun to a fine spray and narrow pattern with very little paint and lots of air and keep spraying light coats and shoot between the louvers so it lands inside the second layer of sheet metal. That way you get some paint past the louvers and you build up paint on all the edges of the louvers as well. Don't expect to get it completely painted down there either, just not possible. I used single stage paint on this....base/clear might be a little easier to get color down there. I didn't find it that challenging, just a little patience and let the paint build up slowly with light coats and finish with a good medium coat. Kind of hard to explain but i hope that helps!
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

That wil help, Thanks. By the way, yours looks really great; I like the front bumper too.
1961 Monza
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

Ok... Clark's carpet kit is in, also had this shifter boot kicking around out of a Ford Escape. Made a base plate out of 1" ply and carpeted it, painted the shifter itself and added the skull knob. IMO, looks better than that lame stock shifter....tacky, but kind of cool!
Attachments
corvairshifter pic.JPG
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

Very cool. How did the Clarks carpet fit? I have mine but it's in the house with the rest of the upholstery waiting for me to finish the paint job inside and out.
1961 Monza
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

Sorry for the late reply Bigtwin....just got back from holidays in Arizona. The Clarks carpet fits awesome, my only advise to take your time cutting holes for gas pedal, heater outlets, seat bolts, etc. Measure twice, cut once! I took the gas pedal right off, cut the slit in the carpet, then bolted the pedal back on. Also, as the center hump in front of the shifter area, or where normally a transmission hump would be, i build up some "extra" padding beneath the carpet to take out the sloppiness that normally exists in the carpet. Worked awesome and was easier than trying to get the wrinkles out by glueing and pressing down. Lay your carpet down dry and you'll see what i mean. I just took a bunch scrap carpeting or underlay in about 6" squares and glued them down where necessary to build it up. Oh yeah, i highly recommend some Dynamat or other soundproofing.....for the little extra cash its well worth the nice quiet ride!
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

Thanks for the info Outlaw. I'll take all that advice.
1961 Monza

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”