Window fuzzies

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
tekwyzrd

Window fuzzies

Post by tekwyzrd »

Has anyone purchased the window fuzzies from Clark's? How do the ones currently available compare with the originals? They need to be replaced on the '65 sedan asap. I welcome suggestions of alternate sources for good quality replacements.
Rons64

Re: Window fuzzies

Post by Rons64 »

I received rear window fuzzies for my '64 from Clark's and am very happy with them. I still have to get the one out that I dropped down inside the door, but other than that, they fit and look great. My originals were so shot that I can't make much of a comparison for you other than the fit.
Ron
Trip

Post by Trip »

How easy are they to remove and install?
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Rons64

Post by Rons64 »

I'm only talking about the outers on the rear of my convertible. Doing nothing other than rolling the window, you can get them out. There is a screw at each end that I couldn't get with a screw driver because of the angle. I took the screwdriver bit out a multi-driver and used a small crescent wrench to turn it. With patience, that worked for me. The same putting them back in , except don't let go of the fuzzy until you get the screw at least started. I must have forgotten about gravity for just a second (60 years old) and still haven't pulled the one I lost out of the door - I can see it; just can't get it. I would say it was an easy job. Good luck.
Ron
Trip

Post by Trip »

Thanks Ron, I knew that there are special screwdrivers meant for the job for other vintage cars, mostly was wondering if I needed one to change the Corvair fuzzies.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Rons64

Post by Rons64 »

I rescued my fuzzie today. Pulled off all the interior trim as the metal pieces needed a paint job. That let me get to the galvanized panel and reach in to grab the lost piece. Although I wouldn't recommend it, having the top piece of off the interior makes it easier to work the small screws in both ends of the fuzzie - regular screwdriver works.
dave62

Post by dave62 »

ive heard you can get universal fuzzies (aka window channels?) but have yet to be able to find any. anyone know where they can be had?
'62 Monza 900 4-door, restoration in progress
reidmier
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by reidmier »

The screws at the end of the fuzzies are small and I was able to get them out and back in by using a small (pen style) phillips head screwdriver with no trouble. The fuzzies from Clarks are good, but the ends of them aren't rolled like the originals so they can be a little sharp. I rounded the sharp ends slightly with a file and touched up the black paint to match. Getting the old fuzzies out is the biggest part of the job. In my case, the old ones were so rusty, they broke into pieces when I tried to pull them out. You can use a tape wrapped putty knife to pry them away from the door panel a bit, which at least provides a way to grab them with a pair of pliers if they get stubborn. Putting the new ones back in was literally a "snap". Once positioned correctly, they just pop into place. Good luck!
Reid M.
Washington, UT.
'65 Monza 110 PG

http://www.hacoa.org/
http://www.vegasvairs.com/
aquavit750

Post by aquavit750 »

Has any one tried OPGI fuzzies? I bought them on a sale. They are loose. I didn’t see any screw in the box. At places they don’t even touch the windows when rolled up.
generalzod
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by generalzod »

tekwyzrd wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:43 pm Has anyone purchased the window fuzzies from Clark's? How do the ones currently available compare with the originals? They need to be replaced on the '65 sedan asap. I welcome suggestions of alternate sources for good quality replacements.
I have a set from Clarks. Very easy to remove and install. Follow the directions and only apply pressure from the outside in as instructed, otherwise you will warp and/or bend the channels. They look great to me. Kinda wish I had chosen the ones with a chromed bead instead of the stock black.
--------------------------------
Was a 1962 Monza Convertible
Now a 1964 Spyder Clone/Tribute
Santa Cruz/Northern CA

--------------------------------
Image Image
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

they are not terribly hard to remove or install. To remove you need to pry each clip open a little bit then they will slide right up and out. You must be careful not to scratch the paint if it matters as the clips can pop out and damage the paint for sure. Pro tip double masking tape along the edge of the fuzzy to protect the paint during removal.

Clarks fuzzies are the best I have seen. They are a little thinner than stock but fit well and work fine.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

The fuzzies from OPG are the correct thickness. I had Clark’s but did not fit properly, and were too thin.
The OPG fuzzies work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

On the rear INSIDE fuzzies on my 64 conv, it takes a lot of time removing the old fuzzies as they are stapled...no screws or clips. Clarks include 4 screws to attach these new fuzzies. I used a strong spring clamp on one end and a small vice grip on the other end. Used a small drill bit and used their screws. I installed the fuzzy on the interior part on my work table as I had painted the whole interior piece by piece and that made it easy. The body side rear fuzzy was about 10 min each counting removing as was all the front door fuzzies. One screw and clips is how I did that one. I was teaching a novice helper on the door fuzzies and he did one door and he also took about 10 min per fuzzy.

I had sent Hagerty some photos to up the value as it now has a new SLICK SLICK yellow paint and new interior and I striped the aluminum parts and polished them like stainless....they told me i could go 12K on it....I will be offering it for sale more than likely in April...but, it is really growing on me as it is a nice car now.
albjerryg

Post by albjerryg »

I used Clarks Fuzzes and they work well, I only had one screw to remove. I put masking tape around the fuzzes not to scratch the paint. I pried then out with a screw drive and plies. Good luck...
beaminscott

Post by beaminscott »

I need fuzzies for my 65 4-door, both inner and outer for each door. Can anyone tell me from their experience if the "sets" include both inner and outer fuzzies for all 4 doors? Clarks number is C467X. I realize that I can call Clarks but I work while they are open and I seldom remember to stop and call which does nothing but delay my projects.
Last edited by beaminscott on Mon May 31, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Belton, MO
65 Monza Sedan 110 4-speed
65 Monza Sedan 110 PG
66 Monza Coupe 140 Salih 4-speed
CORSA, HACOA, MCCA, PCG, and Corvanatics
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

yes their fuzzy sets include all 8 pieces
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”