1962 Decoding Sequence Question

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
junkman

1962 Decoding Sequence Question

Post by junkman »

I was just reading the thread about decoding of the body tags, and I was wondering about the fist year full information is presented, (1962) how the letters were arranged. Is this the sequence that would be on the body tag if the car had these options, or were they in a alphabetic order? To clarify my question, if a car had many options would it read AEHNKL-1BFC, or would they be in a different order than they are listed in the thread? Were the letters assigned randomly, or was there some meaningful sequence to them?
1962 Willow Run body tag codes (NO Group Numbers i.e. no numeric indicator)
A = Direct Air heater (Always listed 1st and listed on every WR car in survey)
D = Spyder
E = Bucket seats on 4 door models
H = Padded dash
N = Powertop
K = Tinted Glass (all windows)
J = Tinted Windshield?
L = Convertible top code followed by a number indicating color.
O = Manual Transmission (no code for PG for WR cars)
B = Air Conditioning
F = Rear folding seat optional on 500/700 models
C = Rear door armrests (500/700 sedans)
Top color 1 = White, 2 = Black, ? = Blue, 4 = Cream (Blue is probably coded 3)
I deal with reasonable people reasonably, and unreasonable people, not at all!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1962 Decoding Sequence Question

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: :dontknow: The Body Tag was an assembly line management tool used by Fisher Body technicians. The content of the body tag changed over the years as management and assembly line personnel fine-tuned the tags to better-suit their needs. The reasons for the Accessory Line sequence, or the content variations at different plant locations must be the subject for conjecture, since Corvair owners lack any direct decision-making documentation or actual Fisher Body management personnel to answer such questions. The letter codes do not appear to be in strictly alphabetical order, and I could only guess that some of the sequencing might have something to do with the required body-building assembly sequencing or perhaps component sources that might require "special orders" for unique parts that would have to be pulled from storage.

The notations within the lists below would indicate that the list of codes was simply compiled by observations from existing body tag samples. A lack of adequate quantities of samples to provide data forced some guesses or question marks. The letter sequences were based on observations also, without any specific reasons known for the letter sequencing.
ACC = Accessory line
When decoding ACC line on the Fisher bodytags, be aware that bodytags do not include any options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher was only concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body. A good example is that you won’t find Telescopic column listed on the bodytag. Although this is a major option, it did not require any special consideration during body assembly. Top color is listed on the ACC line for 1962 Convertibles. Also there are no group numbers in the 1962 ACC line, and 63 Oakland cars

Fisher bodytags ACC line
The code letters are listed in the order they generally would appear. (A question mark
( ? ) appears after those options where the level of certainty is not as great due to a low sample in the survey or options that are often added or removed and may not reflect original equipment.
Late model 1965-66 Cars had a single ACC line and LA cars had the ACC codes split onto 2 lines. Canadian cars had the actual RPO codes on the bodytag.

1962 Fisher bodytags ACC line. (WR, OA)

Willow Run bodytag codes (NO Group Numbers i.e. no numeric indicator)
A = Direct Air heater (Always listed 1st and listed on every WR car in survey)
D = Spyder
E = Bucket seats on 4 door models
H = Padded dash
N = Powertop
K = Tinted Glass (all windows)
J = Tinted Windshield?
L = Convertible top code followed by a number indicating color.
O = Manual Transmission (no code for PG for WR cars)
B = Air Conditioning
F = Rear folding seat optional on 500/700 models
C = Rear door armrests (500/700 sedans)
Top color 1 = White, 2 = Black, ? = Blue, 4 = Cream (Blue is probably coded 3)

Oakland bodytag codes (NO Group Numbers i.e. no numeric indicator)
H = Direct air Heater (Always listed 1st and listed on every OA car in survey)
B = Powerglide (no code for manual trans for OA cars)
X = Spyder option
P = Padded dash
W = Tinted Windshield
E = Tint glass ( all windows)
L = ?
F = Folding rear seat. Optional on 500/700 models
A = Air Conditioning
? = Powertop
? = Rear door armrests
K= Rear Speaker ?
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina