Found an O in group 4!

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
Tacozilla

Found an O in group 4!

Post by Tacozilla »

I've been reading up on body tags, and found some answers to questions about my Corvair, but it has raised other questions too. I really enjoy looking at these tags, as each car tells you its story.

Here's how I understand the tag which I have attached below. Please feel free to correct me as I'm counting on your expertise!

06A First week of June production
65-10767 LOS 797 '65 Corsa convertible, made in Los Angeles, 797th body off the line
733 Mist Blue trim color
D-1 Mist Blue body with White top
E- Tinted windows
Group 2 LPS 4 speed trans, Convenience Group A?, and rear antenna
Group 3 C Padded dash
Group 4 PO Another reference to Convenience Group A?, and turbo motor
Group 5 W Deluxe front seat belts

Does anyone know what is exactly in Convenience Group A, and why is it listed in both Group 2 and 4? My car has a manual drivers side mirror, 2 speed wipers, an adjustable day/night rear view mirror, and courtesy lights in the glove box, trunk and engine compartment. It also has the am/fm radio, and telescoping wood grain wheel. I've searched and found different answers on the internet for what was included in this RPO.

My last question is regarding the interior. The dash and carpet are blue, but the vinyl is all white. Just wondering if that would have shown up on the tag?

My car has the 180 but the top shrouds are from a 140, so I assumed it had been swapped in. I was surprised to see it was a turbo car originally.

Thanks in advance for any input. I bought the car in December, and Corvairs are now a daily obsession.
Attachments
corvair tag.jpg
1966-Corsa-GT-180

Re: Found an O in group 4!

Post by 1966-Corsa-GT-180 »

Here is a link to Kent Sullivan's page that provides the info to de-code the 1965 to 1967 Fisher Body ID Plates:

http://www.corvairkid.com/65-67rpocode.htm

Lot's of great information there that will help fuel your obsession!
Danny Davis driving "air cooled" since the 1960s...
Pierce County, Washington, U.S.A. (near Tacoma) 2O6-643-67I8
Corvairs NorthWest, North Cascades Corvairs, Corvanatics, CORSA Western Director
notched

Post by notched »

Doesn't your car have the cut out for the turbo tail pipe? That is what the O in group 4 is. Fisher body had to modify the body for the tail pipe on turbo cars.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Tacozilla

Post by Tacozilla »

Notched, it does, but I had a guy tell me they thought it was cut out later. I am a newbie, and don't really know what I'm looking at. That's what got me interested in decoding the tag. I really only wanted a convertible when I bought it, so the engine doesn't mean much to me one way or the other. I did get a bit of a thrill deciphering the tag though.

Corsa GT, I got most of my info there, and it is an amazing site, but couldn't find what all exactly was included in some of the options. The tedious compilation of info to create that site is mind boggling. I'm also learning that if it had nothing to do with a difference in body configuration it isn't on the tag.

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”