Engine ID # location

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
scottydont

Engine ID # location

Post by scottydont »

I thought I knew from a prior description where the engine ID number would be, but I can't seem t find it. Can somebody give me a detailed description of where the ID number on my engine can be found. It's awfully dirty, and I'd like to focus my cleaning efforts in the right location (since the carbs are still off and I can't use my power washer on it)

Thanks
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Engine ID # location

Post by Scott H »

In the middle of the block between the blower shroud and the oil filter/alt housing on the left case half at the part line by the oil pressure sensor.
This motor is partially disassembled but it will still show you where it is located.
Attachments
image.jpg
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
sam60

Post by sam60 »

If it is greased over, a shot of brakleen form the tube lights it right up.

Just SW of the oil fill cap in Scott's Pic.
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
scottydont

Post by scottydont »

Thanks guys. I'm used to vw stuff and was looking at the vertical surface below the fuel pump and alt... Getting my head into the engine compartment of the bus to see the top of the case will be tough, but should be doable. Worst case I can stick a camera in there and just take a photo in the hopes the number will be visible.
scottydont

Post by scottydont »

T08I7RH.

How much info can I glean from just this block number?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

scottydont wrote:T08I7RH.

How much info can I glean from just this block number?
Engine No: T08I7RH

T = Tonawanda, New York (GM Tonawanda Engine Plant)
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/comp ... wanda.html
0817 = Engine manufacturing date of August 17
RH = 110 HP Automatic Transmission (1965-1967 Corvair 500 and Monza)

Note: One of the engine compartment photos you posted earlier appears to show that you have a 95hp engine cast crankshaft pulley installed instead of the Harmonic Balancer that is required for 110hp and above 164ci engines. The original harmonic balancer probably failed at some point in the past, and to save money someone probably substituted the cheaper cast pulley. This could ultimately damage your crankshaft. Recommend purchasing a new or used/rebuilt harmonic balancer for your engine and toss the cast pulley.
Corvair Engine Suffix Codes (1965-1969), From CORSA Tech Guide, Vol 1
Corvair Engine Suffix Codes (1965-1969), From CORSA Tech Guide, Vol 1
The Cylinder Head casting numbers can tell us something about the engine, and so can the model number cast on the distributor. These numbers are more-difficult to view (head numbers are cast on the ends of the cylinder heads) but if you get these numbers we can determine if the distributor advance curve matches with an automatic transmission 1965-67 110 hp engine, and also if the heads are a match (3856743, 3856759, 3878561, 3878562, 3880707, 3880708, 3883858, 3883862, or 3878566 = 1965-69 110 hp).
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers.PDF
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 515 times
EXAMPLE - Cylinder Head Casting Number Location

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Regarding engine ID numbers: Imagine my surprise when I inspected this engine at a friend's house:
WHAT engine ID???
WHAT engine ID???
After talking to some knowledgeable folks about it, some of the replacement blocks sold through dealerships didn't have any ID stamp. Most of them did, having a engine suffix like "XXO" but a few of them had no marking at all. Doesn't make much sense.

Marty Scarr
scottydont

Post by scottydont »

Head # is 3856759 (I only checked one, assuming they match). If I'm reading the chart in that link you posted correctly, that makes it a '65 110.

Couldn't find a # on the dizzy. Must be on the back side or underside?

It would be nice if somebody swapped the dizzy out to match the manual trans, but if they didn't, how much difference is there in the advance curves really? Enough to notice or make a difference one way or another? I live at 7K ft altitude, so I can get away with a lot more aggressive timing than most people.... Actually almost have to in order to make up for some of that 20% power loss vs. sea level.
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

scottydont wrote:Couldn't find a # on the dizzy. Must be on the back side or underside?
It's very hard to see when installed. You might be able to see it with a mirror and will probably need some brake cleaner to clean it up a bit.
It would be nice if somebody swapped the dizzy out to match the manual trans, but if they didn't, how much difference is there in the advance curves really? Enough to notice or make a difference one way or another? I live at 7K ft altitude, so I can get away with a lot more aggressive timing than most people.... Actually almost have to in order to make up for some of that 20% power loss vs. sea level.
Good news here, the distributors are the same for manual and PG for your engine. Here's a spec sheet:
distributor specs.jpg
Marty Scarr
scottydont

Post by scottydont »

martyscarr wrote:
Good news here, the distributors are the same for manual and PG for your engine. Here's a spec sheet:

Marty Scarr
That is good news. Scratch one more item off the list of potential fixes :)

I'll still check the dizzy number, but it's definitely lower priority at this point. Just looking at that chart, it looks like some of the other models were definitely more aggressive and/or really set up for better highway economy. Not sure yet, but it looks as if there's at least some potential for benifit by changing to a different distributor.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The distributor number is difficult to see without removing the distributor, as it normally faces the engine. It is on the side of the distributor base housing, around spark plug wire number 5.

Distributor Wire Position.jpg
Brad Bodie
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

What would a block number T060YR mean?
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

T060YR
T = Tonawanda, New York (GM Tonawanda Engine Plant)
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/comp ... wanda.html
060 = Engine manufacturing date (month and date). "060" is not valid, and appears to be missing a digit.
YR
  • 1962 150 hp, 145 CI, Manual Transmission, Turbocharged, Monza Spyder (Coupe or Convertible).
  • 1963 150 hp, 145 CI, Manual Transmission, Turbocharged, Monza Spyder (Coupe or Convertible).
  • 1964 150 hp, 164 CI, Manual Transmission, Turbocharged, Monza Spyder (Coupe or Convertible).
Brad Bodie
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

I'm sorry it says T0602YR. It was out of a 64 vair. But I can't determine what the HORSEPOWER is.
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

IMAG0100.jpg

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”