1965 Corvair Body Tag Decode?

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
Francesco

1965 Corvair Body Tag Decode?

Post by Francesco »

Hello guys, I was looking on purchasing my first corvair (woo!) And I saw a decent one that needed a little bit of work, but wanted to see what options were chosen. I have attached the body tag picture.

The guy told me it was a 180 turbo convertible with a manual top and 4 speed with red original paint and black interior. What else can you guys tell me about it? I've done research but I can't seem to find anything.
Attachments
3K83M43Ic5Lc5G85J7cbe59b9172cd920176a.jpg
3K83M43Ic5Lc5G85J7cbe59b9172cd920176a.jpg (62.24 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
1966 Aztec Bronze Turbo Convertible Project (Currently not on the road)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1965 Corvair Body Tag Decode?

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2:
Welcome to the Corvair Forum! I joined this forum back in August and I've come to believe that this is one of the best information and help sources for Corvairs on the Web. If you can post some pictures of this car (exterior from various angles, interior, trunk, engine compartment, etc.) experienced Corvair owners on this forum might be able to assist you with a more-extensive evaluation of the car.

Depending on your location, you might also be able to locate a local CORSA club in your area and contact them. If you explain your situation as a first-time potential Corvair owner, someone from the club might be willing to join you to go examine the car and then provide you with an opinion from an experienced owner's viewpoint. This link will help you to determine if there is a CORSA chapter nearby:

CORSA (Corvair Society of America) Chapter Locator
Locating a local CORSA chapter near you can be very helpful, and attending meetings, parties, Corvair shows, etc. can greatly add to the enjoyment of your Corvairs.
https://www.corvair.org/index.php?optio ... crmSID=3_u

Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...
BODY TAG INFO:

Body Build Date: 04D = April (04) Fourth Week (D)

ST = "Style" 65-10767 = 1965 (65) Chevrolet (1) Corsa (07) Convertible (67) LOS = Los Angeles (Van Nuys) Plant

TR = "Trim" 713 = Black (Interior Color)

Exterior color code to go with the above interior color Black, The following Lower/Upper color tag codes would apply on your convertible car...
W-2 = Lower (Body) color: Slate (Glacier Gray); Upper (Convertible Top) color: Black

W2LP3C4FUO

1st Group
W = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only

2nd Group
L = RPO M20 4 Speed
P = (LOS cars only) 2 spd Wipers (LOS listed this separately from the CC group)

3rd Group
C = Padded Dash

4th Group
F = Outside Remote Drivers Mirror/ with CC group
U = Spare tire lock
O = RPO L87 Turbo engine

To the left of Body is 705
Body number = 705 (705th 1965 Corsa Convertible built at that plant)
:checkeredflag:

If you decide to get serious with this car and possibly go ahead with buying this Corsa convertible, let us know. We can continue to answer your questions and provide you with guidelines and useful information that would be helpful to you as a probable new owner.

DON'T FORGET TO TAKE A FEW MOMENTS TO VOTE IN THE CORVAIR FORUM CORVAIR OF THE YEAR 2012 COMPETITION. You will need to have posted a minimum of three times on this Corvair Forum site if you want to cast a vote. Your consideration is appreciated.
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=4432
Attachments
My 1966 Corsa Convertible, Acquired in June 2012
My 1966 Corsa Convertible, Acquired in June 2012
Last edited by bbodie52 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

so the original exterior color isn't red?
1966 Aztec Bronze Turbo Convertible Project (Currently not on the road)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

No, the original exterior color was not red. The color code for Red (Regal Red) was R-R, and for Maroon (Madeira Maroon) was N-N. The two letters indicate lower-upper body colors. For a coupe R-R would indicate red lower and upper body, N-N would indicate a maroon lower and maroon upper body. Convertibles used 1 for a white vinyl top, 2 for black, and 3 for beige. So a red convertible with a black top would have the color code: R-2. A maroon car with a white convertible top would be: N-1.

W-W was the code for Slate (Glacier Gray). A Slate (Glacier Gray) convertible with a black top would have the body tag color code: W-2, as indicated on the tag in your picture.

If you want to view the entire 1965 Corvair specification color chart, click on the following link, and then scroll down to page 4-BODY to see the chart and color codes specifications.

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heri ... orvair.pdf

Here is the chart I was referring to...
1965 Cofvair Corsa Color Combinations and Codes.png
Brad Bodie
croderique
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by croderique »

The link to the GM Heritage Center has changed. It is now:

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heri ... -kits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on "Show" next to Corvair and then click on the year of the Corvair you would like. You can download a copy easily on a Mac by moving the mouse to the bottom of the first page and click "save PDF to download folder". I presume a PC has a similar function.
Chuck
Chuck Roderique
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible, 110 H.P. 4 sp, Aztec Bronze with Bronze Interior
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

Van Nuys built Corsa always have extra cool factor!!
Attachments
stripercyn.jpg
stripercyn2.jpg
natgasengine3.jpg
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I guess I would agree, since I was also built in Van Nuys, having been delivered to my parents in 1952 at Van Nuys Maternity Hospital. :chevy: :rolling: :goofywave: :funnypost:
Brad Bodie

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”