engine type

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: engine type

Post by Bruins_Fan »

terribleted wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 am In the photo in Brad's post the number you want is under that checkering which does not exist on any distributor I have seen. Note that all the numbers start with 1110. The last 3 digits designate what application the distributor is for. This number is usually facing rearward so can usually be seen without removing things or standing on your head.
Good to know! I didn't realize I'd be able to see those numbers and just looked at mine...ending 319, for my '66 110 as I was expecting. :tu:
'66 Monza Convertible 110hp Powerglide
Eddddie

Post by Eddddie »

bbodie52 wrote:Image

Back of the housing towards the front of the car. Tough to see sometimes without removing the distributor. If you pull the distributor for a brief look at the distributor number on the housing, do not disturb the engine crankshaft position when the distributor is out. Be sure to reinsert it with the same rotor orientation so that the drive gear engages with the crankshaft gear with the rotor pointing the same as when you removed the distributor. The oil pump drive tang at the bottom should slip back into the oil pump drive gear and the distributor should fully seat against the engine housing. When you start the engine, recheck the timing with a timing light. Timing for your engine should be set to 14° BTDC at 475 RPM with the vacuum advance temporarily disconnected and plugged..

Correct distributor number for your 1965-1967 95 hp engine with Powerglide Automatic Transmission: 1110311
When disconnect vacuum line do you plug the carb tube where vacuum advance was or plug the line tube or both

Sent from my LGMS330 using Corvair Forum mobile app

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Plug the line to the carburetor. No need to plug the advance.
If disconnecting the line to the advance makes any difference with the timing then the advance is plugged into the wrong port or the idle is set too high/throttle plate open too far.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”