63 Spyder? Help

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
ral1963

Re: 63 Spyder? Help

Post by ral1963 »

vairguy63,

Your build date of 10E is 5th week of October 1962 and correct for your 63 tag. The 3C is the ACC code for the Spyder option for the 63 Monza. Sadly, your VIN is not correct for your trim tag. Your VIN is for the 1718th Corvair off the Oakland Ca assembly plant and not a WR car like your Fisher tag is for. So either your VIN is correct or your Fisher Tag is correct and only the hidden VIN will tell you which. I am guessing a rusty 63 Spyder was re-bodied onto a CA body and the VIN is correct but the Fisher tag was transplanted along with all the 63 WR car parts.
Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL
Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp
caroseiii

Post by caroseiii »

Car is probably correct, Rick. Only way to tell 2nd VIN for sure is to drop down the front crossmember; it's often on the bottom of the frame rail if not on the side of the framerail behind the driver's side shock tower. The bodies were built by fisher and shipped to be assembled. Built at Willow Run , assembled in Oakland. I think that Oakland Spyders had an X in 1962 but homologated to C in 1963. So, its plausible to me that its correct. The test for any C or X Spyder build is always going to be if the turbo exhaust panel cutout is original AND the overheat buzzer screw holes are in the correct location behind the dash!

Crawford Rose
caroseiii

Post by caroseiii »

IMG_3215.JPG
Here is a hidden vin photo I saved.
Crawford

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”