VIN Question

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
cwhunt

VIN Question

Post by cwhunt »

After reading how the VIN is broken down, I recently purchased a '63 Coupe and developed a question regarding the VIN. I know the vin has a letter in it indicating which factory that it was built in. I know mine was built in Oakland from the body tag, so my VIN should have the letter O in it. I see where it should be, but the supposed O looks exactly like a zero. So, I believe it should be a letter when doing the paperwork. Does any have their VIN recorded as containing a zero instead of the O for Oakland?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Last edited by cwhunt on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder 150HP Turbo
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: VIN Question

Post by bbodie52 »

vinearly.gif
vinearly.gif (4.86 KiB) Viewed 932 times
VIN Tag.jpg
It would not be unusual for the workers in the plant to use the same stamp tool to produce a zero (0) and the letter "O". Your VIN tag decodes as a 1963 Monza Coupe produced in Oakland, California.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

I would be concerned if your Vair was titled with a "0" rather then an "O" since the VIN on the Title would not match the the VIN format defined by the manufacturer for your car.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
benfro

Post by benfro »

I have a 62 Spyder built in Oakland. The VIN tag shows a "0" and not a "O". The title and the number on the car should hopefully be the same (with a "0"). If no title, I would keep it the same as the written on your tag when applying for one.
cwhunt

Post by cwhunt »

I am submitting the paperwork and I am concerned with what to put. I think I will go with a zero simply because the laymen would look at the tag and say it's a zero and not the letter O. Placing the letter O on the paperwork might produce headaches down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder 150HP Turbo
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

It is meant to be recorded as the letter "O' and I would submit it as such. Any reasonable state vehicle inspector will understand the VIN numbers of that era and a "layman" is not who you need to worry about. When you submit the VIN later, to an insurance company for instance, or maybe a future buyer, they will expect to see a letter and not a number in that position.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
MtnVairMike

Post by MtnVairMike »

Submit it on your paperwork as it is supposed to be for the VIN features/options and let the reading/interpretation chips fall where they may.
If you get it wrong on the title it's tough to get it corrected through DMV. Ask me how I know....

Thanks,
Mike
1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green, #3753

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”