65 Corsa vin & body tag verify...but car is Monza 110?

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
65CorsaCone

65 Corsa vin & body tag verify...but car is Monza 110?

Post by 65CorsaCone »

Hello & great site!

I'm new to Chevy, but familiar with Corvairs. I'm retired, "autohaulic",...to many cars to list.

I found this Covair 65 convertable while at my cushy retirement job..parts driver..

I think I got a great deal...this will be my first & last full restoration.

I chose the Covair,.price, condition, convertable, small & eaisier for me operating alone.

In verifying VIN & body tag ,...both indicate corsa convertable.

Rear deck lid emblem "110", side emlems, "Monza" & dash standard Monza, no tach.

Is this a usuall situation for 65? Are Corsa dashes available?

2 single barrel carb model.

Your insight ...thoughts,..
advise?

Thank you,

retired submariner

Lee
Attachments
65 convetable corsa vin
65 convetable corsa vin
65  body tag
65 body tag
65 dash
65 dash
cnicol

Re: 65 Corsa vin & body tag verify...but car is Monza 110?

Post by cnicol »

Oh oh... That my friend is a VIN swap. :-( RIvets are wrong in both the VIN plate and the body tag. Plus that VIN is for a 2-dr hardtop, not a convertible. (37 = 2dr, 67=convertible) I don't know what to recommend from here. Maybe just ignore the VIN and enjoy your car?
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
65CorsaCone

Post by 65CorsaCone »

Ahhhh Nice catch! You are correct & I forgot!.......the "VIN" indicates "Corsa sedan" & "body tag" corsa conv....

What to do...This was going to be my "last car". Getting old, feelin old! Haha! Near 60, Thought I'd sport it up w/rims & tires, modernize the suspension & steering...some motor performance enhancements...

Give to one of the kids at their 5 year anniversity....

Title is clean,...hmmmm I havnt put my hands on it..or seen it... but will tomorrow!

As long as title jives......might as well take it on as a monza 110? Or consider a Clone Corsa? You thought?

thank you for the check out & response..

Lee

Its got 70,000 on odo,...4speed,...runs solid,.. all original parts nuthing missin,... needs typical nody work for its age..
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Both tags read 10737, Corsa coupe. I would put 140, Corsa dash and glove box, and run with it!
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
65CorsaCone

Post by 65CorsaCone »

Sounds like a plan! You know kids,.... all proud ..i drove up to my 22 year old daughter in Bozman MT...After driving a 64 Bel Air from Seattle ....How do ya like my car!!?? ...... "dad,..dad...really? Its an old car". Old as in old....not nice old car!

The covairs are a cool blend of sport & car... i think spruce'n it up will awe the kids..& something they'll enjoy driving...

Look forward to the restoration .... contributing to this fourum..

Thanx

Lee
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

There is a hidden VIN stamped on the body that would show the true VIN. The title on that car is not truly "clean", but is fraudulent. I'm not sure what the future might bring or the legal implications if you were to knowingly take part in the fraud, investing some significant money in the restoration, and then possibly have the faulty documentation surface if the car were to be sold again at some future point.

Convertibles must also be carefully inspected for body rot in the rocker panels, floors, door frame areas, etc. Late model unibody Corvairs are somewhat thin skinned anyway, and if there is hidden body weakness covered by plastic body filler you could run into some serious and expensive sheet metal repairs. If this car has been exposed to road salt, proceed with caution.

Hidden vin locations!

:link: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3000
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Brad is correct here. Time to demand your money back and return the car. If you keep it and try to sell it later you may loose the car and your investment. While an old car can be re-bodied, this clearly is not the case here and as you found it's pretty easy to figure out the ID from a legal car was transferred to the convertible - an old stolen car scheme.
65CorsaCone

Post by 65CorsaCone »

Well,...

I came to the suspect conclusion pretty quickly, but I did not put the restoration & revaluation issue together... Thank you!

I have very little $$ in it & had high hopes as it was found at a legit dealership,....who probebly got it in an auction lot of cars...

So even any further investment....is just not prudent.... so conclusion? Parts car? :( :( :(...

Ive been syping & dream plans this car for 6 months.... ... maby the kids wouldnt a liked it...

Well will talk to dealersip tomorrow..

Thank you for the great & correct advise.

R/

LeeC
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Before you talk to the selling dealer, you might want to inquire at your local motor vehicle department about what it would take to get the title squared away. Generally this would take inspection of the hidden VIN, determination of the vehicle's history (stolen or lost title), and application of a state-assigned VIN with a matching new title. If you know what's involved, you can have that discussion with the dealer and maybe they will be willing to take care of that process for you. The vehicle can't really be sold as-is so they have nothing to lose.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
65CorsaCone

Post by 65CorsaCone »

Thanks all for the feed back. ......

I have to eyeball the title..its in the dealers files. I put a deposit on it last week, after a long ponder $300, dealer price $800.

Its a solid platform, worth some further investigation I suppose.

Given these/your comments, my concern if do any work on it, ....is the next guy...i wouldnt want to pass on a bad title issue to anyone.

Will keep you posted... Thanx...
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

That's a very cheap parts car! You would be hard-pressed get a good used 110 for that.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”