Decoding homework

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Decoding homework

Post by azdave »

I know how to look this up but you all seem to enjoy it so much that I posted it here.

This is a 66 I just brought home last weekend so it's not in my sig line yet. Did I find a rare one?

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
notched

Re: Decoding homework

Post by notched »

E in group 2 is code is factory air
and we all know what the RR code is. I found an RR coded block last year from a local guy who had parts from a parted factory air 66 Corsa. I saved the harnesses and all the air parts and gave the block to a good friend who needed it ;)
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
notched

Post by notched »

The car looks nice in the pictures. Is still bronze on bronze?
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

notched wrote:The car looks nice in the pictures. Is still bronze on bronze?
No and the car is just a rolling shell right now with the front and rear glass just re-installed. It just came out of paint and body a few months ago and is now Madiera Maroon inside and out. It came with a complete Clark's interior and even the seat covers are already installed over new seat buns. The engine was fully rebuilt from the crankshaft out and is ready for its first test run. The Cragar 5-spokes are brand new with new Michelin rubber as well.

I hauled home three full loads of parts in my stripped E350 15-passenger van the last few weeks. Luckily, it was less than an hour away. Not sure if I'll start a build thread or not since at this point it is mostly assembly work. Every major component is already cleaned, rebuilt and repainted. The car also has a telescopic steering wheel but I haven't checked for fast steering yet.

I'm really happy it is a 66 Corsa 140 4-speed with factory A/C and telescopic wheel. Not too many of those around these days (or back then). The VIN tag and body tag agree that it's the real deal. It would only be more rare if it was a convertible like rondo has. ::-):

I think the engine code should be RZ for a 66 140 MT but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
notched

Post by notched »

Yeah definitely a rare one. I had one here that I helped a friend pick up last fall. There were 3 at the convention in Knoxville with one of those being the green one Craig Nicol used to own. They say only 153 based on the records from Tonawanda of how many with the RR code.
The survival rate is fairly high percentage. Obviously rarest of rare would be an LA built convertible.
But that is definitely a good find. Even more so with the MM code and 788 code interior.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/CorvAIRCRA ... uffix.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
my65

Post by my65 »

I have had conflicting information on what my tags are telling me. The motor was rebuilt by a mechanic in Mississippi four years ago but he did not document any of the casting numbered. The block is stamped T0304RD which I have read is a Tonawanda built motor on March 4 but here is the confusion. One site said RD was a " HPE " motor which stands for high preformance engine, and others say it is just a 110 Hp engine. :dontknow: is there a way to see the head castings with the engine in the car?
My body tag's indicates black interior. Is that black vinyl or could it be a black and white cloth?
Attachments
image.jpeg
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”