Decode my Rampside VIN

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
Jack Bacon

Decode my Rampside VIN

Post by Jack Bacon »

I have a incorrect VIN and title on my 62 Rampside. Can you decode the VIN and tell me what it should be? I have attached a photo of the VIN and the stamped number on the Rampside driver side frame rail

VIN is 2R126S111790
Stamping is S116903

Should the correct VIN be 2R1254S116903?

Thanks,

Jack
Attachments
20150724_212629.jpg
20150728_092528.jpg
Corvair Minnesota President
Corvanatic,
CORSA
TEAE
SAOCA
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Decode my Rampside VIN

Post by azdave »

The VIN says it is a Greenbrier, not a Rampside.

The VIN might possibly be 2R124S116903. That is correct for a 62 Rampside/Loadside. You had one too many digits in your example.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Jack Bacon

Post by Jack Bacon »

I saw in one of the Corvair books that the Rampside prefix would be R1254. What would the 5 represent?

Jack
Corvanatic,
CORSA
TEAE
SAOCA
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

R1254 is not a valid number. The choices are R124, R125 or R126

I use these two sites to assist decoding.

http://home.comcast.net/~mkellstrand/co ... etail.html

http://home.comcast.net/~mkellstrand/co ... coder.html
Attachments
Fullscreen capture 832015 82739 AM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 832015 82739 AM.jpg (35.99 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
Jack Bacon

Post by Jack Bacon »

Thanks Dave! One more question would be the stamping on the driver's side frame rail.
Since the serial numbers start at 100001 and with a 1962 Rampside production of 4902, the last 1962 Rampside serial number would have been 104902. Just wondering how can the stamping of 116903 be correct?

Jack
Corvanatic,
CORSA
TEAE
SAOCA
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Jack Bacon wrote:Thanks Dave! One more question would be the stamping on the driver's side frame rail.
Since the serial numbers start at 100001 and with a 1962 Rampside production of 4902, the last 1962 Rampside serial number would have been 104902. Just wondering how can the stamping of 116903 be correct?

Jack
Don't know. I'm not a FC guy so not an expert. Just guessing that maybe included in the serial number sequence was all Greenbriers and panel vans from that year too so it might be the total FC production, not just Rampsides/Loadsides. 1962 shows just under 36,000 total FCs made.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

Jack Bacon wrote:I saw in one of the Corvair books that the Rampside prefix would be R1254. What would the 5 represent?

Jack
R1254 is the model number for a rampside
R1244 = loadside
R1205= corvan
R1206= Greenbrier
For the vin they dropped the third digit.
Jack Bacon wrote:Thanks Dave! One more question would be the stamping on the driver's side frame rail.

Jack
The serial number is a sequential number assigned by the assembly plant. FCs were built in Flint (F) and St Louis (S). Whether the numbers include all FCs produced at a given plant or all trucks produced at that plant, I don't know.
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
Jack Bacon

Post by Jack Bacon »

Thanks for the help guys. I stopped by the DMV to get my title coorected to show Rampside and they said as long as the VIN plate and the title match there is nothing they can do.

Jack
Corvanatic,
CORSA
TEAE
SAOCA
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

:assault: I think you need to try a different DMV clerk. The state of MN classifies Flatbed Fred as a reconstruction or specially built vehicle and you need a state assigned vin with matching title.
This link may get you started in the right direction

dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV_DeclarationofReconstruction_SpecialAssembly.pdf
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
subdude17349

Post by subdude17349 »

Rivets on the vin plate look awfully like standard pop rivets. My guess is that since the vin plate and stamping don't match, somebody swapped the vin tag for one from a Greenbriar.
Same car, same barn. Add 20 years and way too much money....
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

In Arizona, if you go to the DMV and show them that the VIN tag has been tampered with they will likely invalidate your title and force you to surrender your registration and plates until you have completed a full Level 3 Inspection at the State Police garage. Assuming you pass that inspection then will they assign you a completely new state issued VIN and title. You are not allowed to keep using the VIN number that obviously was not originally on the vehicle.
Worst case, they will find your vehicle was involved in some type of theft or insurance claim and they may conficated it and you'll have to to buy it back at an auction.

I've gone through this twice now in Arizona. The first time was the DMV's fault when they issued a clear title on a coupe I had bought 6 months earlier. When they found the error they assumed the worst, cancelled my title and registration and then forced me to prove they were in error. I eventually got the car back on the road but with the stigma (reduced value) of a restored/salvage title plus I had to pay $150 in fees for the inspection and all the paperwork. In this case the VIN was not swapped but the VIN was in the system as a salvage vehicle and the state should have never issued me a clear title stating otherwise. They claimed a computer error and basically made me go through the entire proceedure required to get a salvage title back to a road legal status of restored/salvage. The inspections never did reveal why it was listed as salvage but was probably an old insurance recovery situation.

The second time was my fault when I trusted a Corvair owner I had known for years and agreed to a deal before I fully inspected the car. I ended up with a Vair that had the VIN tag changed but I didn't catch it right away since it was a non-runner I was storing for a future project. I'm still dealing with that one. It's looking like my friend was the one who actually swapped the VIN tag but I hate to be wrong about it and end a friendship. The car is worth maybe $500 so I'll probably just cut it up and end the problem right there.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

subdude17349 wrote:Rivets on the vin plate look awfully like standard pop rivets. My guess is that since the vin plate and stamping don't match, somebody swapped the vin tag for one from a Greenbriar.
Those tags were spot welded at the factory so the VIN tag has obviously been re-attached. The owner knows it has been changed because the hidden VIN doesn't match the tag.

Not that I'm supporting VIN fraud but whoever changed the VIN in the past should have looked for a VIN from another 62 Rampside to better cloak the deception. ::-):
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”