Thunder Kiss '65 Project

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
Hellbilly

Re: Thunder Kiss '65 Project

Post by Hellbilly »

MikeD -

Getting a rack to work with the Corvair suspension, a coilover conversion & RHD swap was just waaay too ambitious!

Eliminate a few of those factors, and it becomes more practical :)

I would advise you to look at the Austin Mini steering rack, as it is compact, light and less than three turns. Remember that it is normally behind the front axle line, so if you want your rack ahead, then you need to flip a RHD unit.
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill
pacman

Post by pacman »

Please tell us that it'll be AWD.
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Pacman - Somebody had to ask it!

The option is certainly there, and with the WRX front suspension going in, the means is temptingly close to hand!

Have thought about this one, on and off, ever since I dropped the drivetrain into the bay...

I keep coming back to the same answer, though: No I wont!

Let me justify this...

1. Part of my 'vision' is to keep the character of the Corvair. I know it looks like I have totally carved mine up; but it still has a boxer engine hanging out the back; transaxle transmission; independant suspension at each corner; 60s styling and period details retained. I could have gone with a mid engine and saved some time and money, but it just disnt feel right...

2. 4wd is heavy! That extra front diff, propshaft, tunnel all add up.

3. Weight distribution. A 4wd system needs weight on all four tyres to be of any use, and a light coupe with most of its mass towards the rear is going to have a tendency to smoke the front tyres under heavy acceleration. Likewise, accelerating out of a corner has increased tendency to spin the front tyres, leading to understeer.

4. Turning Circle. A 4wd system fights itself when manoeuvring around slow speed corners. I'm thinking that the 'vair needs all the help it can get in the typical British carpark!

5. Time. Ive got enough work on my list, without adding to it!

Those are the ones I could think of!
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill
pacman

Post by pacman »

All fair points, but, but.....AWD! ;)
V6corvair

Post by V6corvair »

Great ideas and will be following your progress , so interested in your cooling system too! :goodpost:
D:
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

PacMan - For this application, the only advantage is bragging rights.

V6corvair - Thanks for the support! Im interested in how my cooling system is going to turn out! In honesty, Im going to let my subconcious work on the back end while I get the front end sorted.

On the subject, the front end is looking the shizzle, but want to get a couple of weeks work into it before I unveil the latest mutation ;)

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Got the front RHD suspension mocked up, and looks to be viable :)

Got a few more tweeks to do with the geometry, but not a bad starting point!
Attachments
image.jpeg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Front suspension tweeked & coilover mounting mocked up.

In my defence, the brackets you see here are knocked up out of scrap; to hold the components in the correct alignment with each other. Once I am happy, I will remake everything properly :)
Attachments
image.jpeg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Just in case anyone was wondering....

This front suspension design uses:

WRX knuckle, w/modified mounting
WRX hub, bearing, calliper, steering rack, crossmember, ARB, lower wishbone and bottom balljoint
Top wishbone and brackets are a work in progress ;)
AVO Coilover operating at 2/3 LCA length

Geometry:

KPI - 5 degrees
Scrub - 20mm on WRX wheels
Castor - 7 degrees
AntiDive - Aprox 30%, depending on final weight distribution
Turning Circle - Similar to WRX?

Seems to have a little toe-out under compression, but will have to wait until front suspension fully anchored, before I can measure this on the alignment gauge...

Winston Churchill
pacman

Post by pacman »

:):) Any updates?
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Pacman -

Well, the front suspension design is finalised, but not fully actioned yet. I am fabricating the brackets again, after making some miscalculations on the upper shock mount! I have drawn up the machined pieces which I need, but havent issued them to the machinists, yet.

I have got the steering column in properly, and Im pretty pleased with that, but need to get the bulkhead welding finished, so I can fit the pedal units and check out the driving position.

I am holding off on some purchases until Payday (next week) when I will be hitting ebay/paypal pretty hard for the next batch of parts! I am hoping to get all the fabrication done in December, so I can spend Christmas fully welding and strengthening the front and rear structures. I would like to start the New Year getting into systems; electrics, fuel, brakes, heater, exhaust, cooling, intake pipework, etc.

I really dont know how realistic it is to think it will be on the road next year, but it will be running and driving, so hopefully get the chance to trailer it to some shows and perhaps get some strip action.

There's still the small matters of bodywork, paint, interior and getting it through the UKs' IVA test!

Pretty confident about getting it on the road for Spring 2017!

I would just like to say that I have thoroughly appreciated everyones' comments and encouragement! I am very pleased with this project, despite the setbacks and challenges, and am so glad that you guys are enjoying following along :)

Winston Churchill
pacman

Post by pacman »

:tu: :tu:
V6corvair

Post by V6corvair »

Been wanting to ask , how does the weight of the drive train compare to the Corvair and how about the rear suspension travel, is it similar ? Your skills and thought ablitys are truly inspirational ! You got me off and running with my project . :tu: :goodpost:
D.
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

V6Corvair - Thanks for the words of encouragement! Im so glad you've gotten motivated :D

In answer to your questions, I wasnt able to measure the weights of either, myself; so had to google the figures.

Turns out the 140 engine and transmission tips the scales at c.450 lbs, whereas the Impreza engine and 'box come in at c.400lbs. Now, you can probably add some of that saving back in for the radiator (&support frame) and the coolant.

I would say that its going to work out about the same weight and distribution, in this respect.

My biggest weight saving in the rear is the all aluminium 911 rear suspension. Again, no figures, but I would take a guess at less than 100kg for everything; including discs and driveshafts!

Not sure about the travel, but I will post up the measurements when I get the new coilovers fitted

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Wagwaan!

I am back, after a few (almost 5!) months break from the car

Well, I say break; I have actually spent that time putting much of my life in order, and am finally reached the point of perceived stability that I can return my attentions to this project!

Also, the weather is warming up and the evenings are getting longer :D

More than that I've nothing new to add, except:

Watch This Space!

Winston Churchill
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome back :chevy:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”