Thunder Kiss '65 Project

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
Hellbilly

Re: Thunder Kiss '65 Project

Post by Hellbilly »

Looking promising for new location for the radiator!
Attachments
image.jpg
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

i like it!! Do not cheep out on electric fans, they will work hard, but work well when used right! are you using the vair transaxle? if so how are you spinning the subaru motor the opposit direction
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Hellbilly wrote:Oh, on the subject of steering, I've got a rack which looks like its going to fit nicely...

The inboard pivots closely match those of the LCAs, and the input shaft lines up to allow the steering shaft to pass under the cross-member. Add in just under 3 turns lock to lock, and the front end is beginning to look like it could work :)

Any more details on the steering rack? part numbers?
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Been a little while since I've checked the progress on this project and all I can say is wow! Your car is going to be a screamer once you're finished. I used to have an 04 wrx that I loved with the ej20 and put 180k on with no major issues before trading in for a 2014 with an ej25 which is even better! Corvair weighing hundreds of pounds less than a wrx is going to make for one quick ride. Nice work!
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Thanks for the interest guys!

Mike D -

I am planning to use twin aftermarket fans, but as-per-me; there is going to be a further development on the radiator, before that happens ;)

The transaxle is currently standard WRX, but towards the end of the project, it will recieve a reverse cut ring & pinion from SubaruGears.

Im currently unhappy with the front end, so once the rear is finished I will spin her around and rip it all out again! Expect a radical solution, which will hopefully work alot better :)

However, the rack you see in the pictures is from an Austin Mini (the original one). Its flipped over, so for a LHD install, you should use a RHD rack. Light, compact and under 3 turns lock to lock; plus a similar distance between the inboard joints, as the wishbone piviots.

TheWolfe - This engine and box have come out of my own '03 WRX, and has 30k since its rebuild on forged bits. Makes an honest 300bhp, on the dyno, with standard turbo and injectors; more than enough in a light rear engined coupe!
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Not a very clear photo, but hopefully you can see the transmission crossmember is tacked up and bolted into position :)
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Initial skeleton of engine mounts tacked together
Carrying weight of engine, but need gussetting to strengthen
Odd shape because of necessity to slide crossmember vertically down, out of suspension unit mounts
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Turns out that you can unbolt the intake manifold on an EJ20, rotate it 180 and it bolts straight back on...

Except now the intercooler is in a 'clean' air stream :)

Surely this shouldnt be so easy?
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

i had some inexpensive "slim fit" rad fans on my honda powered corvair ealier, however they simply did not move enouph volume, I ended up swapping them out for fans from a 1986 saab 900, and they worked much better!!!! you need some depth to make a fan work properly
keitho64

Post by keitho64 »

Very impressive build, looking forward to seeing the final product.
Keitho64
05 GTO
69 911T RS30/Turbo Clone
64 Corvair Monza
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

MikeD - I'm still mid process with the radiator, but am going to have some under bonnet ducting to guide air out of the cold-air 'box', over the top of the engine, and onto the radiator. The heated air will then exit through the rear valance; as-per original. The intercooler air is ducted from a separate source, but will ultimately join the airflow through the rad. I hear what you are saying about the fans; I think I'm going to reach deep into my pockets for a pair of Pacet or Kenlowe units...

Keitho64 - Thanks for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished too!

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

As a general update, progress has been slow in September... Came back from holiday, and haven't managed to find my Mojo again!

Been and fiddled around with the car on several occasions, but although I've got a huge list of jobs to do, haven't been able to get started on anything.

Although I've lost a few weeks to procrastination, I'm not going to beat myself up about it; if I'm in the wrong state of Mind for working on the car, then it's best that I don't!

I've said before, I want this build to convey a sense of what it is like to take on this kind of project, and sometimes you'll feel like stepping away from it. What I say is, step away, do something else, and come back when you're ready; its normal, don't panic!

In the UK, there is a magazine called Custom Car, and sometimes there's a really nice looking hot-rod, and I read the article; and it turns out that the guy has been building it for 15 years or something! I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if you let it come together at the right speed, then it will turn out to be the right car!

To come online and read your words of encouragement, makes me feel like getting back in-amongst-it :D

Winston Churchill
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

This is a really cool post. I think sometimes we get conditioned by watching TV shows where a car is transformed in an hour (or 1/2) from beater to beauty. Good to remember that things like this are a labor of love and commitment that can't be expected to be 100% all the time. All of us in process (all of us) could benefit from remembering that! Thanks
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Got into a job I have been putting off, this weekend... Stripping all the useful bits from the Impreza!

Main one was the wiring harness, which is integrated into every corner of the car! Had to totally disassemble the dash to extract it intact...

Took off any bits which looked useful/ebay-able and getting the remainder ready to scrap.

Admittedly, its not actually spannering upon the Corvair, but it is important none-the-less!

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Rolled it out to push it in backwards

Took a few pictures while turning it around!
Attachments
image.jpeg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Another
Attachments
image.jpeg

Winston Churchill

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”