Mid Engine Subaru Swap In Corvair?

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
Doppelganger

Post by Doppelganger »

So I've been thinking of picking up a 65-69 corvair body thats in good shape and doing a mid engine swap with a subaru motor and wrx 5 speed tranny.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403492914.967739.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403492914.967739.jpg (109.76 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
Factory5 makes a kit car that turns a subaru drive train in to a RWD transaxle with a special block off plate that diverts the awd to just the two Front Wheel drives coming out of the tranny.

The theory would be to use the wrx 5 speed tranny and a 2.5 turbo motor (300HP) in a mid engine set up still keeping the flat engine low center of gravity and keeping it under 2700 pounds.

Do you guys think this would be a plausible swap for a corvair or just a nightmare when it comes down to suspension?
Doppelganger

Re: Mid Engine Subaru Swap In Corvair?

Post by Doppelganger »

I figure it would be a nice swap since you can pick a tranny and complete 2 liter motor with turbo & ecu up on ebay for about 2-3K.

I'd probably just use my spare 2.5 short block I have from my subaru sti engine swap and it should easily be tune to over 300 WHP at the rear on a stock turbo with a 5 speed tranny.
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Do you guys think this would be a plausible swap for a corvair or just a nightmare when it comes down to suspension?
It is certainly a plausible swap, but you will need to build a subframe around the transaxle and tie things together.

Do you have good fabrication skills or good credit? ::-): This kind of work can get expensive.

Here's a picture of what Jim Acker did on his mid-engine V8 powered Corvair with a Porsche 930 transaxle:
acker.jpg
Marty Scarr

PS Where are you located? There might be a body available nearby if we knew....
Doppelganger

Post by Doppelganger »

I have a close friend thats a welder and I'm not ready to get a rolling shell yet im just considering the concept.
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

The rear suspension on the back of my mid engine 65 finally kicked my ass so I gave up for a while. It is always cool to pull into the show with something no one else has done before but you have to be ready for a lot of work and expense. Better to do something that has already been worked out :tu:
Doppelganger

Post by Doppelganger »

hrm2k wrote:The rear suspension on the back of my mid engine 65 finally kicked my ass so I gave up for a while. It is always cool to pull into the show with something no one else has done before but you have to be ready for a lot of work and expense. Better to do something that has already been worked out :tu:
Yes I'm figuring its going to be a real PITA to figure out but I know it would be a crazy little car if I mange to do it. I know there's a company that does a reverse rotation subaru tranny so it can be used in rear engine configuration as well.
notched

Post by notched »

No crazier than the guys with the 700+ horse power V8's mounted mid engine.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

Wondering if anything ever came of this idea. I just thought of this the other day, but haven't seen it done yet. Maybe after college when I have funds, but before a family happens, I'll try it out.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Doppelganger wrote:Do you guys think this would be a plausible swap for a corvair or just a nightmare when it comes down to suspension?
Not only would the suspension keep me up at night, staring at the ceiling, I was wondering about the physical size of the motor, and if it would interfere with the rear wheelwells because of the cylinders/heads sticking straight out. Maybe not.......(I was once thinking how hard it would be to flip the corvair drivetrain around, and that came to mind).
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

I found on these 2 links the subaru engine is 31 inches wide, and the Corvair engine is 28.5 inches wide, so I don't think you'd have a problem squeezing it in there, but what do I know?

http://bb.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions ... thread=135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/corvair.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The suspension would definitely take some thought. I wonder if someone could incorporate the existing style strut bar connections into a transmission mount for the wrx trans. That way the rear suspension can stay stock.

This would definitely be an interesting build.
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

not a crazy idea at all, i live in wareham MA (where factory 5 is based out of) and i see these cars running around all the time. i would bet the subaru motor would fit well behind the rear seats, and since its so short your would have none of the leg room issues that V8 vairs have.

you would have to do considerable subframe fabrication. i wonder what the width differece is between a factory 5 818, and a vair. Last time i checked FFR can sell you pieces of there cars seporate, I would bet it would be possible to purchase a 818 rear subframe off them, with control arms and coil over attached. It may be money well invested
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

That's an interesting idea. I would love to try it one day, or see someone try it.
didget69

Post by didget69 »

I'm looking to build a LM coupe with a mid-engine V8, most likely an Audi 4.2 & Audi/Passat/Porsche Boxster 5-speed/6-speed manual transaxle, and utilizing Miata front & rear suspension & sub-frames, or using the Miata suspension pickup points for custom sub-frames. Custom axles that are Audi/VW on inboard side, and Miata on outboard side, would be simple enough to have made.

Other option I've considered looking into is turbocharged Volkswagen VR6 or Audi 5-cylinder AAN 20V engine, in place of Audi 4.2 V8 -

bnc
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

Wow, that sounds like an awesome build! keep us posted!

I really would like to build a kick ass mid engine autocross/street car, so I'm going to be looking at many different builds. The miata front suspension intrigues me. I like that idea.

I also love the idea of a vr6 in the rear. I just really love the sound of them.

Good luck!
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

I found this information that might help you.
Jeff

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5393013508.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

If I only had the money...

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”