different approach to the mid-engine

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
Tom Z

Re: different approach to the mid-engine

Post by Tom Z »

..well the car is back where I can work on it,front susp is out and working on fitting a Speedway Mustang-Ii front subframe to it..the center section will get Corvair mount sections to 'bolt in',before I figure how to add the spring/shock pieces..will try to get the big-car trans case fixed this week,too..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

....the Mustang subframe rack mount points are at the wrong angle,putting the steering shaft almost straight back; it's different enough from the stock Mustang subframe that I'm hesitant on cutting and re-welding to get it 'right'..I picked up a Porsche 944 T/A off ebay ($400),and a reverse Corvair cam (Otto) and gears..took a Corvair bellhsg to a welder to have the starter pocket relocated 180*,so I'm going with either a Corvair engine to a FLIPPED Corvair T/A,,or more likely the RR-Corvair to a 66-4sp "Crown" style, which would eliminate having to do major rear susp work..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

since my surgery (April 2013) everything went back-burner even further; I've managed to fix- I hopr- the trans leak,and now have the diff inside to replace the axle seals (the other leak-point),then bolt them back together..I'm still 'looking at' getting a 2GC carb rebuilt to get the 4.3 to run out of car first; it's been sitting outside a couple years,now with snow piled around it..The whole front susp is out,and have been toying with a reversed-Corvair engine in the 'Crown' location so I don't have to do rear susp mods and deal with the radiator issues: trying to have a 'Corvair diff face' adapter made from plate steel, and come up with a reversed starter to mount on somehow..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

I've got a 'reversed' Corvair PP now to bolt to the bolted flywhl from Ken Hand-who mentioned that the older Chevy in-line 6 PP would work with the starter ring welded on,probably would've been cheaper?!..Ken also now understands the 'adapter' I want to go between the Corvair bellhsg and big-car/Corvair trans front,,basically a huge flat washer I can work (weld) with..I'd like to use the (s10) hyd master/slave I have, with the slave (and 'fork') positioned top-side over the diff cover..when I'm done with the LM rear wheel bearings for 'another car', I'll probably find that "round tuit" :tongue:
Attachments
DSC00005 (600x450).jpg
DSC00005 (600x450).jpg (167.39 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

....I'm back (sort of..)- after retiring ,and turning 65 , I (sort of) figured this Forum out
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome back Tom :wave:

Any updates to post?
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

not really J--the Dr's found (and removed..) the remaining "head bump" for a second time last mid-November, which left me walking and talking 'funny'..Friends say I'm getting better but it's not fast enough for me!! Anyhow, I've got a new person to pass everything on to (at least what's in my head..)

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”