different approach to the mid-engine

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
Tom Z

Re: different approach to the mid-engine

Post by Tom Z »

..the powertrain is out,along with the trailing arms,have just cleared the garage to bring the body back inside to work on..the trans has a leak from the sidecover/diff gasket area..I'm changing direction w/powertrain, first with the Renault NG-9 5sp adapted to a reversed Corvair engine mid-ships,then the NG-9 to the Dodge/Mitsubishi 3.0 SOHC V6..the 65-500 will probably wind up staying with the SOHC-3.0,the R-R Vair w/NG-9 is headed for another body,similar to the Astro-II coupe,,I have a rear from a 79 Vette,nose from a 75,and hope to use the rear unibody frame from the 66-4dr..the 500 is the 'mule',got it reg'd so it can be driven legally..weather permitting,I'll cut a differential to make the front of the NG-9 to bolt to the Corvair bellhsg with a borrowed plasma cutter..I know,everyone says 'bigger is...',but I'd rather stay in the 3-liter class/6 cyl..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

--BTW,the modified-case Vega Saginaw trans *could be* for sale,has a Moser-resplined mainshaft and bolts directly to a 66-up Corvair diff,NO adapter..I have enough to make at least 2 more..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..dragged the car on 2 jacks under the rear back in the garage,,have to empty the interior out,pull it away from the wall a bit to get the leaky Saginaw T/A where I can work on it..going to clutch rebuilder this week to find another disc with the same 21x 3/4" spline the Renault NG9 uses,,and hunt down more inboard CV joints--I need the male shafts to send Moser and I'm NOT tearing the NG9 apart..I now have a reverse-rotation cam w/gears for the Corvair,cut a diff bellhsg end off to make it fit the NG9,,but I'm also looking at adapting the R-R Corvair to the Saginaw,mid-ship,using the Corvair Saginaw w/ Crown shift tube..
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Any progress is good. Sounds like you're making good headway!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Trip

Post by Trip »

I hate to display my ignorance but I'm more or less a Corvair only guy. What is the idea behind doing a conversion like this and not going to a v-8?

I know of at least one other guy who did a Crown style car with a V-6, I think he had a 4.3 in there. I always thought it was a strange choice, the 4.3 is a fantastic engine but not a great performer in terms of acceleration. I figure I must be missing something here.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any Crown cars with a Northstar adapted.. seems the aluminum v-8 would be a great choice and they are readily available. They've been the top choice for Fiero v-8 conversions for a long while now.

My dad's got an 01 Eldorado with a Northstar... don't think poaching his engine hasn't crossed my mind!!! :evil:
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Grymm wrote:I'm surprised I haven't seen any Crown cars with a Northstar adapted.. seems the aluminum v-8 would be a great choice and they are readily available. They've been the top choice for Fiero v-8 conversions for a long while now.
This is not a Crown-style conversion but it is a Northstar Corvair.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... msg-263992
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Trip

Post by Trip »

Cool stuff. I'm actually surprised that the engine sits that far forward in a transverse installation.
azdave wrote:
Grymm wrote:I'm surprised I haven't seen any Crown cars with a Northstar adapted.. seems the aluminum v-8 would be a great choice and they are readily available. They've been the top choice for Fiero v-8 conversions for a long while now.
This is not a Crown-style conversion but it is a Northstar Corvair.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... msg-263992
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

--Ray,one word..ELBOW ROOM..ok two words..the 4.3 is about 5" shorter,and can be built to exceed the transaxle design too..my preference is to keep it "6-cyl" for registration and insurance reasons,tho it's still over the line a tad..balance and handling are more important to me,along with the low-end budget factor..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..I have the car back inside now,,the big-car Saginaw is getting back on the bench,and it may get a Corvair trans case with these internals..tried sealing the Vega shift cover,but it still leaks..I'm working on the adapter plate for the Renault NG9 5sp (smaller than UN-1) to couple to either/or a reversed Corvair,and the 3.0 Mitsubishi SOHC V6 for an Astro II body project..the diff support and 4.3 engine support I made can be used for the Corvair engine+ diff,,but the NG9 is the goal..I'm still considering adapting the SBC/4.3 bellhag to a Corvair diff,wnere the trans bolts,to get the engine set back another 10",and adapting the Saginaw on the back where the Vair bellhsg goes..leaving the diff in place solves rear suspension problems, Moser may be able to cold-spline the hollow pinion so a shortened Corvair mainshaft can engage from that end..have to wait till tax return comes in to fund any machine work tho..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..measurements were promising,so..if you take A,combine with B,you get C,with the addition of the Corvair Diff face being about 5/8" thick to place -hopefully- a clutch disc from a Toyota (same spline as the Renault) right where it should be..with no 'pilot' used I'll also need to fit a roller bearing to the adapter,can't have the mainshaft flopping around <GGG>
Attachments
NG9adapter 008.jpg
NG9adapter 007.jpg
NG9adapter 006.jpg
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..pics of the factory Renault floor shifter..the 'neutral gate' rod is anchored via the metal piece for the boot to the car's floor,and gives the '1-2/3-4,5-rev' rod something to work against..a single tube going forward,like the Corvair,could be anchored from the trans side-support..
Attachments
NG9shifter 003.jpg
NG9shifter 002.jpg
NG9shifter 001.jpg
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..going out to fire the heater up,drain the trans-axle and clean the Renault bellhsg..the Saginaw internals will get swapped into a 66 Corvair case,and an adapter plate made similar to the 'Crown' to couple the 4.3 up again..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

the welded-up Vega trans should be drained by now,will bring it in today..will have a 66-3sp case 'front' machined back,so the 'Crown' style adapter plate (I'll have to make..) is flush to allow the front bearing retainer/snout to pilot the bellhsg..the diff is draining,and will get the right-side adjuster seal and big O-ring replaced..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..brought the car back inside,and 'changing directions'--reversed Corvair mounted mid-ship like the Crown/4.3 was,coupled to either the 66 transaxle (like a Crown),the Vega setup shown,or a Renault NG9 5sp..sourced a starter nose from a local rebuilder for a marine SBC ($30..) in cast STEEL,easier to work with for me..started making adapter plate templates from 1/4" Lexan,need to cut the 13" dia lip that fits the Corvair bellhsg somehow, before I make the 'real' one..
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks for the updates! Sounds like you are getting some good work done there.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..just got a call from another 'local' starter/alt shop,I'd dropped a Corvair starter off to see if reversing 'can be done',wants me to stop back..with the D-D s10 4dr down for a trans swap,the Corvair will get gassed up for a run,snow/slush should have melted by now..

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”