1st and mabe last

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
PBeck

1st and mabe last

Post by PBeck »

Got my 65 Monza on a straight up trade.
I had redone a 79 F150 (engine, trans., body repairs and paint) and had decided to sell it cause I already had another truck to use. Had parked it in front of my son's house (on a well traveled street in our largest municipality (5,000 pop) on a Sunday. On Monday got a call from son that fellow in town wanted the truck and wanted to know if I would be interested in a trade. (I had been asking $2500. for it.)
Went by the guy's house after work. He had this 65 Monza with a Crown conversion. The car still had the origional Crown formed interior and only 2 guages, tach and water temp. Had a sheet made up of rpm=speed to substitute for a sppedometer. Car really wasn't drivable. It started fine and would "lot drive" but the owner said there had been a trans. leak and he hadn't caught it and was pretty sure the trans. was damaged. Claimed the engine to be an LS1. Obviously wasn't. He had been trying to sell the Monza and had been asking $5700. for it. Offered to trade straight up...........
Didn't really want a new project but figured the curiosity factor was mabe worth the effort so made the trade....
Many $$ later, mainly 2 tries on the transmission, (finally figured out that the special Crown input shaft was damaged) and a complete rebuild on the differential (apparently the po didn't realize that the two gear units shared lubricant, go figure), and eventually switching over to a TCI built powerglide. All new autometer guages in the dash, used bucket seats out of a 2000 Sunbird, and a homebuilt console and then it was ready for bodywork.
Stripped all the trim and took it to a soda blaster. Sure does a nice job but remember 2 things; #1: It ain't cheap. #2: Either completely strip the car of everything (mechanical, electrical and body trim) or be prepared for a lot of cleaning. Believe me, you can't tape or plastic enough to keep the soda out.
After all that I started the body work. Alot of repairs on the wheel flairs and opening up the front cove area for better radiator airflow. Two coats of 2K primer and then a light guide coat. Then a great number of hours block sanding. Then 2 more coats of 2K primer another guide coat and then an even greater number of hours block sanding (finer grade paper). Then finally to a local body shop for final sand and base and clear coat. \
Currently back in my shop getting front (radiator shrouding, fabricated grille and rewired hadlamps per the "David Stern" website,; rear (insulation, new fuel cell, digital ign., battery box and carpet.); getting ready to tackle the interior.
I'll try to get some progressive pictures up when I get them all together.
Paul Beck
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: 1st and mabe last

Post by Scott H »

Cool story, and yes please post some pics. I really like the v8 cars.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
PBeck

Post by PBeck »

I've finished up the front and rear comprtments and now working on the inside. Have one inner door stripped out and heat/sound deadner (RattleTrap) installed. Need to install new window channels , fuzzies and weatherstrip. Need a day or so for my arms to heal up. Working inside those panels does a good job of shaving arms. The noise reduction will be worth it though.
Here's the front,
and the rear,
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Nice work. I dig the color too.
Those LED tailights look good where did you find those?
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
PBeck

Post by PBeck »

Thanks, Scott.
Don't know where the po got the rear led's. I think I've seen similar in truck stops for semi's. (This was the po 2 or 3 times removed. His son was some sort of electrical engineer and built a panel in the trunk with diodes (?) etc. so they would operate correctly). They do light up the night,,,,,,or day for that matter.
Paul Beck
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

Paul I like it.. May I ask what the name of the color is? It looks great on that car.. :cool:
PBeck

Post by PBeck »

Sorry, Vapor, I haven't been on much for a bit.
The color is a 2009 Corvette special order, Dupont "Atomic Orange, effects". I looked at a number of "burnt orange" possibilities and this was the best in bright sun. Most trended to the red side of orange in bright light and this one is a little more to the gold/green.
Paul
Corsa
v8registry
PCCA
PBeck

Updates "road ready 65"?

Post by PBeck »

Finally got new wheels (Summit Legend 5, 17 X 4" backspace) and new tires, Riken Raptors,(215/45/17 front and 255/50/17 rear) Now just waiting for the snow to go away so I can get a road test.
PBeck
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Me like! :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Looks great!!!!

Plan on dropping the nose a few inches?

I've always like that color!
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Looks great but these kind of details and photos should be in the V6-V8 section so others can find the info later.

I never ran across this thread until today because I usually look in the V6-V8 section or at thread titles. This thread title gives no clue that there is a beautiful V8 hidden inside. Glad I found it though...great inspiration!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Good idea Dave. I'll move it and leave a shadow topic so Paul can see it when he logs back in.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
PBeck

Post by PBeck »

The weather finally cooperated last Friday and got the 65 out for a short run. Went into town to check speedo calibration and get a tank of fuel. Ran good and really liked the feel of the new tires. Do have a couple of small leaks to take care of and I'm waiting for parts (should be in tomorrow). Assembly shouldn't be bad and I'm hoping to get a few more miles on it to check all the systems. Would like to drive it to the Mar. club meeting on Sat. in Springfield, IL. Trip of about 45/50 miles each way. Hopefully it's dry cause I've still got an issue with basically no inner fenderwells in the front. Really don't want alot of water and road junk dumped there.
We'll see how it goes.
PBeck

first and mabe last

Post by PBeck »

After checking closer, the small leak turned out to be a failed head gasket. Not bad, leaking a little around the gasket at a cooling passage, but enough to put some coolant in the pan. Pulled the intake and heads and had the heads checked and planed. Decided it would probably be smart to go ahead and pull the engine and replace the rod and main bearings. Since I didn't build this engine it was a good opportunity to check it over. Pulled the pistons (.040) over, but nothing special. Took all the rotating assembly to my engine guy and had them balanced. Going back with Total ,Seal rings, heads and intake gasket matched and polished. Should let the engine rev a little better and might not be worth much hp but eases my mind. Installed the crank and checked w/plastigage (.002) and will get the pistons in tomorrow and get the short block back in the car. I was really pleased how easy the removal went and hope the installation goes as well. Hope to have it back on the road by midweek and get some breakin miles on it before the Convention.
I've got my reservations and will meet up with the Prairie Capital Club in Peoria where we should join up with the group coming from the east. Should be a good group. I'll drive the Vair and my wife will follow with
PBeck

Post by PBeck »

continuation.................
my truck and trailer. I'll bring some basic tools and a jack so if anyone has problems we can either fix them on the spot or load them up and keep on moving. Also my wife didn't want to make the drive without a/c. Don't know if I'll have time to get the disc brake conversion done by then but will probably try.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown conversion
Corsa
v8registry
PCCA
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Looks great, Paul! Like it really "means business".

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”