The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
hrm2k

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by hrm2k »

I sure hope everybody isn't getting too bored. I am having fun playing with this thing and progress is being made. This morning I moved my oil filter mount . The alternator was hitting the oil filter fittings so it got moved. So I actually got to do the fan belt for the first time and make the adjustments.............here is how that looked from both views

I installed the tempature probe into the radiator fins today. Since I know nothng of this unit, I will let you know as much as me as times goes on . Here is the probe in the radiator

I did the wiring from the probe to the brain unit. There was nothing in the instructions as to being able to cut the wires shorter so I did an around the brain box wire route

So you add a few more things and it is starting to fill up space wise

To say that I am getting excited would be an understatment. I don't know that we will get it started by the end of the month but shortly there after without a doubt. As I was leaing the garage, I just could not pass the opportunity to snap a couple of cool views.........enjoy

Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Progress looks great :tu: :burnout:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Am getting excited for you! Work of art.
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
Corvair Society Of America Member "Corsa"
V-8 Registry Member
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Sweet!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Down to the last few pieces to be done before we start it up.

I have always had a thing about wires. Some people think nicely laid out wires look good. I would prefer not to see them at all. My battery is going to sit in the passenger side arear behind the rear wheel. My task was to get all the wires in and not have them like they were an after thought. The following 3 pics show all the wiring needed to run the engine and make everything work............sort of hidden in plain view

I still need to tidy up a couple of pieces but for the most part, that is it for the wiring.

I had received a question recently aboiut what the finished suspension looked like so here is the finished look underneath

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

just a simple update:

finished up my carb rebuild. We are using a 750 CFM vac secondary carb. Nothing outragous, just reliable. We had to do some wacking to the air horn so we could get the filter element in.........more on that !

With the carb in place and bolted down, we were able to see the actual clearance between the body and the air cleaner.........not much at all. We are using a 3 inch filter and a drop down type of air cleaner. YOu have to work the filter into the opening but it will finally go. Then you have to put the air cleaner attach stud in and all the way down. Then and only then can you put the top on. I can barely get a finger inbetween the body and the air cleaner nut

I had already installed a long cable from the accelerator pedal back to the old Corvair engine. It worked out really well with a simple bracket. It turned out pretty cool in my opinion

I finally got my radiator hoses late Wednesday afternoon but have not had an opportunity to get them on. My fuel connection should get here Friday..............we might start this thing over the weekend.........................You know you will see that as soon as it happens
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

hrm2k wrote:I finally got my radiator hoses late Wednesday afternoon but have not had an opportunity to get them on. My fuel connection should get here Friday..............we might start this thing over the weekend.........................You know you will see that as soon as it happens
Gorgeous. Meticulous. Beautiful work! I can hardly wait!! :tu: :clap:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Details, Details, Details...................just more details. The fuel system to the carb is ready for the last connection. The radiator hose is on the top. The bottom hose still needs to be connected.

The accelerator cable is now complete and finished including the return spring.

After the bottom hose and the spark plug wires, the only thing left is the battery mount and a few wires before it starts. This weekend, the engine covers are going to be cut and fit....................won't be long before I can drive it !!!!!!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

We are all anxiously waiting for the drive report!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

As of this afternoon, we are damn close............actually, very damn close !!!!!!!! Fuel system is done. Expansion tank is bolted on and connected into the cooling system. Still need to mount the battery, weld on a new grounding point, fill the trans, flush the fuel lines, put 2 more hose clamps on and hit the key. We pulled the distributor out today so we could pump up the oil pressure.....still need to do that !!!! The spark plug wires need the HEI ends put on...........Here is some new pics anyway.

While the expansion tank may look a little out of place, it was the only place we could mount it above the water outlet. There still may be a piece of Corvair trim mounted to the tank..............maybe.

fuel water, etc

So I am making a promise that before the weekend is over, There will be a video of the car running..........promise
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

I like the desgin of the expansion tank :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

hrm2k wrote:So I am making a promise that before the weekend is over, There will be a video of the car running..........promise
:woo: :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:idea: This is really a dream project that is coming true! I can hardly wait to see it run!! :tu: :cloud9:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

couldn't sleep last night..........too excited !!!!!!!!

Last time I was this excited, I was 14 years old........and so was she :pray: :clap: :pray: :clap: :evil: :eek: :wave:

it's 8AM, 31 degrees outside..............sounds just about right to go to the garage....................FILM BY 11
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

hrm2k wrote:couldn't sleep last night..........too excited !!!!!!!!

Last time I was this excited, I was 14 years old........and so was she :pray: :clap: :pray: :clap: :evil: :eek: :wave:

it's 8AM, 31 degrees outside..............sounds just about right to go to the garage....................FILM BY 11

Mothe#*@^$*#&&#$# :banghead: , I can't believe I spent the day chasing a f@&^%#*** short , finding it only to spend another 2 f&*%$*$*+&%$ hours only to find a g@%$#@^$ blown fuse :angry: . Ready ? NO....the damn gauges aren't working :think: .........found the f@$%^%& problem.........I have the wrong sending units :banghead: .......F@*$ !!!!!!~! Get out the mechanical gauges and stick them on this f@$%&$$* pig. Screw it, I have had enough of this s@#$ . We did get 60 lbs of oil pressure on the mechanical gauge. I plumbed the sensor for the mechanical temp gauge.

I plan on being back at it around 9 AM Sunday morning...............if it does not start Sunday morning, I am going on the roof with a magnum and start picking people off in the parking lot :assault:
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

First, it started and ran like a champ.
The only problem was a leak in the radiator........work on that starts Monday.
As soon as youtube gets the video processed, it can be seen at this link

http://youtu.be/rRpBvpf3ZYE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MAjor players in this video are :

Frank Jenkins..........old guy with white t shirt

John Dayton........good looking guy in the dark sweatshirt

Yellow car = The Spousal Avoidance unit :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :tu:

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”