The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
hrm2k

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by hrm2k »

somewhere between the last post and today, the car ended up settling in on the drivers side. It was so obvious that you could see it even if you didn't know what you were looking at. There was 3/4 of an inch difference between the right side and the left side of the car. I got it up on ramps today so when I come back from vacation, I will be able to make the needed adjustments and the car will be street ready for the summer. I took a bunch of detail shots today and thought I would share them with the board

DON'T BE A CHUMP !!!!
:nono:
Support the Board..........Follow the link below and help Scott keep this board available for us
:woo: :woo: :woo:
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Great photos! Thank you for sharing them.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

more of the same................except.............it is now getting driven around town...............pretty hard if I do say so. As Arizona Greg said, cooling is a bit of an issue................maybe. It is 96 degrees here today............temp got up to 215 but never boiled over. I would have stopped if it had gone any higher

kind of cool having it at the house instead of at the garage

still doing the shakedown runs but starting to feel a lot more comfortable with it
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Excellent update!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

w e seem to have gotten past the 100 degree days............it was just too hot to do anything..............I think we have come up with the first fix as to the running slightly hot. We are going to add a scoop to the bottom. Our little spoiler we had below the radiator turned out to be about 2 inches too short to accomplish anything.
Our solution is a simple scoop hanging a little lower than the bottom of the car. These pictures show the first fitting of the scoop

what you see in this picture is the opening below the car for the air intake. You can also see fuel lines, brake lines and emergency brake cables along with some of the electrical runs. The scoop hangs way too low in this picture but you can start to get the idea of what it will look like.

.this is from the back side of the scoop. We will probably cut about 4 inches off the scoop and add braces to stop any movement at speed

We should have some idea if this solves any problem by the weekend
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

hrm2k wrote:w e seem to have gotten past the 100 degree days............it was just too hot to do anything..............I think we have come up with the first fix as to the running slightly hot. We are going to add a scoop to the bottom. Our little spoiler we had below the radiator turned out to be about 2 inches too short to accomplish anything.
Welcome to the world of Corvair Toro conversions with mid-mounted radiators! It's a small world for sure.

I'm sitting here on a slow connection typing on a tablet waiting on hand surgery to begin. I can't post pics or info easily from here but I have battled the airflow issue for years. Never quite solved it but I've never puked up antifreeze either so I work on other projects. I'm pretty sure the airflow under the car in that area is not a smooth front to rear as you would hope. My belly scoops have never seemed to make much difference and I run without one these days. Good luck experimenting. We should talk after you do your tests. I might learn something or you may get an idea from my testing.

Got to go...
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Dave, Really sorry to hear about your hands. Hopefully that was an outpatient surgery and you are back at home. I don't really have the idea that the scoop will work but I want to give it a try. I have been considering bypassing my current radiator and putting an aluminum one on the front. That will require moving the fuel cell and making more holes. Did I mention I have become pretty good at making holes............me and my sawsall are good buds.
LEt us know how you are doing
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

While I continue to try and figure out the cooling thing, I decided that maybe other things need to change.......I was never a fan of the yellow with gold pearl so Zinc Chromate green is the new color. I still have not got a final color in mind but I am leaning towards a mild gray

cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Just a quick update................ I found an 8 inch 12 volt fan that runs at 2890 RPM and puts out 1700 CFM. I decided that my first change would be just to use the 8 inch fan under the car to push air to the radiator with the twin 1450 CFM fans drawing air from the back side of the radiator. Not really sure how this will work bit I figure it will change things a little. Here is what the unit looks like

Just for the testing, I used wire ties to hold it to the expanded metal grill. I have to almost disassemble the car to get to the grill from the top to bolt it in place.........something to look forward to .

I also got a little more zinc chromate primer on the car. Strange, I actually like the looks of the green on the car.......go figure

I find it amazing that the thread has hit and exceeded 20,000 views..........I am humbled :ty:
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

On the ground and out on the road Saturday.............the green is growing on me

Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

That is a nice green, try a satin clear over that!
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Danny Joe wrote:That is a nice green, try a satin clear over that!
still got a bunch of body work first
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

AT LAST !!!!!!!! FILM AT 11

from a run out this evening.........
things I noticed from the video:
1. The fans on the radiator drone......not bad from the driver's seat
2. small rattles and things that go bump...I can look for those
3. The back of the seats are ugly

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

and from the outside

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

This past week, I added a scoop to the opening for the radiator. So with the new 8 inch fan and the scoop, the cars runs all day long around 180 to 185 degrees. I think we have come very close to calling the warm temps good bye. To celebrate, I drove it to the first car show it has gone to..........turned a few heads .............seemed to get a lot of comments.....every comment was positive. I have never been asked to start a car up so people could hear it run........happened about 6 times in 4 hours.
A guy who is a friend of mine who shoots drag racing ,shot some pictures and I snagged them and thought I would let you see what others look at

I have found a few things I want to change but for the most part, it is driving time and doing some fast passes at the strip

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”