The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
toytron

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by toytron »

hrm2k wrote:Guess what showed up last night ?

:chevy:

Sweet....where did you find that?

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Ed, I found it listed incorrectly on EBAY and got it for a song. This manifold ws made specific for the big base Rochester 2G cars. Health issues have held me back from working on the car since the end of June of this year. My 4 carbs are all flowed and matched so the next step was the linkage...…...Sort of finished that up this after noon...…………….More work on the car to follow

toytron

Post by toytron »

Nice congratulations on the find!

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Life got in the way of getting it back on the road. Good news is my wife is alive and doing well now. Since I am not spending my every waking moment chasing things for the hospital, I get to work on my car..................and today was a good day. First time back on the road since we broke the differential..........and replaced the wheel bearing, brakes, wheel cylinders and other related stuff. Today, it got out of the garage on it's test flight. Tomorrow starts the removing the back window an replacing the intake and carbs :chevy:

more to follow soon

and thank you very much for the views...…….hard to believe 42,600 + views...…………..I am flattered :not worthy:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:clap: :not worthy:

I know something about serious long-term family health issues, as my wife and I have been struggling with such problems since the 1970's. It is good to hear that things have improved for both of you, and I wish you all the best. It is nice to see you are able to return to the family Corvair project for some stress relief and diversion. Please keep us posted on your progress!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Thanks for the update and video. Love the V8 rumble!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

this afternoon 3-30-19

I know, nothing special about a 4 carb Corvair...……..maybe we could make allowances for it this time

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Things have been happening in a very strange order. Since the intake and carbs fit as planned, I figured I should wire up the new gauges and sending units while everything was apart...……..and I wanted badly to get rid of the digital gauges. I went to a gauge company called Vee THree. They are primarily a boat gauge company who has a GPS speedo...…………..granted, only 120 MPH but it will work fine for me. I finished up the wiring and fitting this morning...…………….here is how it looks...…………………..BTW, the turn signals and bright light signal were butchered by the digital gauge company 25 years go...….I found some LED pilot lights for the bright lights ( red ) and turn signals ( green ).

Since I have always owned up to my mistakes, I made another one. The old Corvette valve covers had breathers in the middle of each valve cover. They simply can not work with the new intake. I had another set of valve covers ( Micky Thompson ) so I changed the location of the breather to work with the new intake. You don't need to ask, I painted then orange and cleaned off the top of the ridges...…………..here they are. I still need to spend some more time on the ridges

more to follow soon
County98

Post by County98 »

Nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Corvair Forum mobile app

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Things are going a little faster now that warm weather is here...…...this is as of today, 4-18-2019
Linkage ( pain in the ass to put together )

Everything is in place

Fuel and ignition is tomorrow, probably starting it on Saturday, terrorizing my neighborhood by Monday
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Got a straw for every mouth...…….moving ahead

stuff seems to be going as planned...……

film ay 11
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Frankly, just between you and me, I wasn't completely sure the new setup would work

That old fat guy is my friend Frank....he lives for this kind of stuff

still have to chase a little timing thing and to get the four carbs sync'd...….and the sound is perfect for me

The adventure continues
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Starting to polish this turd a little...…………………... Just doing some test fitting of the Carpet.

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Since it seems to be a little slow, I thought I would give you a quick update.
We found we had a lack of vacuum problem and we tracked it down to the carb gaskets. After altering the gaskets, we got it all back together. When we were installing the last piece of linkage, we noticed a set screw was missing. We looked in the 3 or 4 places the set screw could be and found nothing. We looked all over the floor which has speedy dry on it. We had 2 choices, tear down the engine or start it. …………… It ran for only 5 or 6 seconds when the coolant ( you air cooled guys are probably chuckling right now ) started shooting out of the tailpipe. We ended up tearing it down and found the set screw...…. in number 5 cylinder sitting on the piston. We checked the cylinder walls and found nothing. When we looked at the combustion chamber in the head, we found 4 very small marks...………. and a crack right into the water jacket :banghead:

I ordered some new aluminum heads tonight. I was planning on using that money for sex drugs and rock and roll :guitar:
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Wow! You've had some real setbacks with that project but keep at it and you'll get there. Still looking good!

I was thinking about selling my 66 Corsa with the Toro V-8 because I'm deep into a different engine swap on a 65 Monza 4-dr and hardly drive the V-8 anymore. I sold the other two Toro Vairs I had so this being the last I'm undecided. I'll probably regret letting it go if I do but if the other swap is successful, I'll be comforted by that. ::-):
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”