The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
cad-kid

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by cad-kid »

Nice! I'm glad you got her out and about.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

This weekend I am entering the Corvair in a local car show called The East Coast Nationals. It won't win anything but it will be fun to show off all the hard work.........anyway...........A friend of mine does some pretty outrageous bead rolling and offered to do some " performance " looking door panels and quarter panels for the car. The interior was pretty nice but was all wrong for the V8 version of the car. I went to my friends house tonight and picked up my new panels. I can hardly wait to put them in tomorrow but had to show them off.

The new driver's door panel

in this last shot you can see the console cover sitting above the quarter panel

Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

Amazing build and skills :clap: Thoroughly enjoyed reading this :tu:
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

no reason at all.............just showing off

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Cha Cha Cha Changes............things change............and so does this build.

The front mounted fuel cell is out and probably not going back in............it will be replaced with a marine grade plastic fuel tank.......more on this as it becomes available............

I guess I should have listened to AZGreg and some others on the radiator mounting position..........that is changing as well........moving to the front of the car...........getting rid of the drone that could be heard in the car

And finally the axles are getting a small spacer where it meets the aluminum plate on the trunion.....................just to get the trunion balls off of the plate and eliminate some rumbling

film at 11
Don't Be Dick

Support the Corvair Forum Board

Donate Today
V6corvair

Post by V6corvair »

:chevy: Been watching your build and progress with interest ! Your determination to always improve is a sign of a creative builder .
As I know and watch the flow of changes on here is helpful for all of us that design and build our cars . Your transition to front
Cooling will be a good one. I am also working on the same cooling location .
At the FBT last October several V8 Corvairs showed up with their front mounted cooling , and in the warmer climate they seem
To work well , the key here is adaqate incoming area opening and equal sized outlet .
Keep your post coming.
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

to the point of no return :guitar:

changes are starting :cool:
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Now that I smell like antifreeze........... :banghead:

I need to thank Scott for this forum :ty: :tu:
With my new changes starting, I was actually able to go back through this build thread to find out how to take it all apart and guess what. It all worked as planned............except the gallon of antifreeze that was somehow connected to the bottom radiator hose :sad5: . So I took out the fans and the fan controls.........no problem. Took out a couple of mounting bolts and the radiator slipped right out. It left me with this view

I stopped right while I make my next plans. There is a chance I will removed the angled air intake and just do a straight panel on the front of the engine cover and then cover the hole in the floor..........decisions, decisions, decisions :rolling:

When I first cut the floor out of the trunk ( front :dontknow: ), I didn't want to cut too much. I laid the fans in place just to see how things might look

Don't Be A Dick
Support The Corvair Forum
Donate Today
lower right hand corner
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

So the initial fitting shows that everything is going to turn out all right

a little more trimming and grinding and it will be time to make some radiator mounts and get the pipe ready to run to the back

And then a killer deal came up. For the product, I simply could not resist.........more to this later

Don't Be Dick
Support The Corvair Forum
Donate Today
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

:eek: What a big hole

Corvair88

Post by Corvair88 »

This is such an awesome build!
County98

Post by County98 »

This is pretty awesome. So far out of my depth, but sure fun to watch these come together.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

not a lot of you can see it kind of work. The stereo amp took a deep six as did most of the brake system. After removing some of the shelf metal, the area for the gas take has become easier. Still have to trim off around the gas pedal cable. I should get most of that done on the next rip. I did make arrangements today with a friend of mine who does fiberglass for most of his life, to make a hood for my car so we can add some deep air extractor type scoops behind the radiator

more to follow.......soon
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

when you cut the bracing out of the underside of the hood, you get crop circles.......... :dontknow:

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

hrm2k wrote:when you cut the bracing out of the underside of the hood, you get crop circles.
Less rattles too!

I hope your radiator relocate solves the heat issues.

I drove my Toro V8 to work last week and driving in was no problem in the cool morning air but going home it got warmer than I would like. No boil-over has ever occurred in the 7 years I've driven it but I know I'm walking the line some days. I have a plan to change the air flow and exit through the radiator so that I can leave it in the same place. I just can't bring myself to cut up the front of the car. I'm stubborn and want to retain the mid-radiator location that this car has had for probably 20 years. My plan may involve the rear quarter windows becoming air exits but that might not look too bad. Something like on this Mustang this maybe?

Anyway, I'll keep following this thread and if I get around to revamping my radiator setup I'll post it in my old build thread.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1423

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

It has been pretty cool here in Maryland and as with most old people, I just have not felt up to going to the garage and laying on the floor......BUT........it was different yesterday. After laying on the floor looking at how I was going to make the bottom radiator support for almost an hour, I happened to see a piece of right angle laying in the scrap pile............DAMN !!!!!!!!!!! THAT' should work. I got out the hot metal glue gun ( my Christmas gift 220 volt MIG :tu: ).......next thing you know................bottom radiator mount

you can see some rather shitty looking cuts in the bottom bar. that the mount is attached to............really rough cuts so the tank does not hit the metal bar. That will be cleaned up and plated before all the panels go in.

My plans had been to have the air exit through the hood with some deep vents. I was actually looking forward to doing that work but it all changed yesterday. If I raise my fuel cell about 5 inches, there is a huge area for the air to exit out the bottom of the car so cutting the hood is off the table.........and it doesn't look too terrible

( NOTE: ) The top radiator support is not screwed together.........the piece of plywood is only temporary.........not a permanent piece :rolling:

film at 11

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”