The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
hrm2k

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by hrm2k »

Thanks Rick for the nice comments. The car didn't have a back seat before and probably won't again. I plan on building bead rolled tins much like you see in a pro street type car. I want it all removable for maintenance as well as display reasons. It will be matted from the back side for heat and noise. The way all the air flow is going to happen, the fans ( 2) on the back of the radiator blowing the heat away from the insides and the fact the engine is quite far behind the driver, I don't think heat is going to be an issue. As for noise level..............Flowmaster 40 series bolted up to each side headers is going to be rude..........maybe even more rude that sub woofers.

I like loud pipes............The Spousal Avoidance Unit will be loud and rude :wave:
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

Cool!! glad someone post thee link topic on facebook :-)

looks nice keer this one updated, like to many mods you did !! thanks

greetings Ralf
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

hrm2k wrote:I like loud pipes............The Spousal Avoidance Unit will be loud and rude :wave:

Can't wait to hear it :)
1966 Corsa Coupe
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

more pictures......some detail shots........clearances

rear crossmember and rear view of engine

Passenger side mounts for axles

driver's side brackets for pumpkin mount

Clearances for air cleaner and HEI dizzy

Then the cell phone rang......Help Honey, we have a leak in my bathroom and it is flooding the basement...............so much for more progress today
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

:wave:

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I know this is starting to get old but more progress has been made. The axles went to the machinist this morning. The new springs for the coil overs came in yesterday so of course we had to install the shocks just to see if it all was what we were thinking....................................kind of like this :

And of course that led to taking different looks

So with everything bolted in place for the last time, here is what you get

and once you have gone this far, you simply can not stop

so now it is finishing up a little electrical and fuel and making a couple of brackets and some panels

then kick the shit out of this thing ::-):
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Work like this can never get too old! You leave me wanting more. :tu:
Keep it coming!
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
Corvair Society Of America Member "Corsa"
V-8 Registry Member
Rick Calcitrant

Post by Rick Calcitrant »

I'm curious about the piece resting on the car's top. It appears to be a "formed" headliner. Please advise...
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Rick....that would be ass-gasket...... technical name
The real name is Armaflex. It is a foam that gets used on air conditioning lines in homes....used as a sound deadening or mild heat shield. My wife owns a die cutting business and she cuts a lot of this stuff. She gives it to me in sheets that are 48 inches wide by whatever length we need. She has it in stock in 1/2", 3/4", 1" and 2" thick.
When you are laying on the floor working on the car, it sure is nice to have something like this to keep you off the cold floor. You can buy the stuff at Home depot and Lowes . Might be a lot smaller
Rick Calcitrant

Post by Rick Calcitrant »

Damn, that had me goin' there for a minute. It'd be nice if there was a one piece retro-fit headliner that offered some sound deadening and improved appearance for us guys not wed to restoration...
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

hrm2k wrote:Rick....that would be ass-gasket...... technical name
:rolling:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Had to take a short break from the Corvair. I needed to get my hot rod cleaned up for a big show happening here in Baltimore next weekend. Cleaning should be done by this coming Monday and then back to the vair.
I got a call from the machinist letting me know that the axles will be done on Monday of next week. I am getting excited about driving this thing.

More to follow next week
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

BACK TO WORK

The big car show is over ( The Rodders Journal Hot Rod and Custom Revival )........it was damn cool . So it is time to get back to work on the Corvair. I went to the machinist today and picked up my axles. They turned out sweet. I went through a bunch of V8 vair posts looking for axle information and didn't find any. So I am going to try and get some of that information out to you.
You have seen the flanges for the axle attachment in several of the older posts. I could never quite get my head around how the whole trunion thing worked. Maybe this will help

These are the main pieces in my axles. The trunion is the big piece with the 3 leaf clover shape on the inside. The three stubs you can see on the end of the axle has a shitload of small needle bearing and round balls on each of the three points. this will give you the needed movement as the rear arms move up and down.
The round collar is to lock the u joint shaft to the splined axle. The u joint shaft is actually an output shaft from the back of a turbo 350 trans. We figured that should be more than strong enough for this application.

This shows how the three stubs fit into the trunion. This fit will provide a full 2 inches of in and out travel. More than enough for our total of 5 inches up and down trailing arm movement.

So this is the finished axle ready for the trunion balls and needle bearing and final assembly. The collar is a press fit over the u joint shaft. From the back of the trunion housing to the center of the u joint shaft.......10 7/16 inches total........just like we planned it

More to follow this week
malibusled
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by malibusled »

This is the first I've seen this build.

Congrats you are making some amazing progress.
I can certainly tell your not new at this.
This is one of the nicer builds I've seen.

I'll be following from now on.

I LOVE the seafoam green, I think that it'll look amazing.
Ed Bartlett
Bobcaygeon, ON Canada
1965 Monza Coupe, 140hp 4 speed
1964 Monza Convertible, 140hp PG
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

thanks Ed for the kind words.......love your yellow coupe.

As with anything, I got side tracked since I picked up my axles. It seems that I ended up with another car. This one from my uncle's estate. I inherited a 1964 Cadillac Coupe deVille with 38,662 miles that was stored in my uncle's basement family room for the last 40 years........it really is sweet ! So instead of working on my Corvair, I have been out katting around in the Caddy.

All of that ends today. I will have some fresh pictures and updates in the next few days.
ncwitte
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by ncwitte »

I realize it's not on topic but I don't think there's any rule against hijacking your own thread...for those of us who are full sized GM lovers, please post a pic or two of the Caddy. 1964 is the best year EVER for the Coupe DeVille. Period. I want to see it.
Norm Witte
Lansing, Michigan
'65 Corsas: 140 coupe and 180 convertible
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4208

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”