The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by azdave »

Thanks for the updated video. Tony linked it over on Corvaircenter too.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Thanks Dave !!!!! :not worthy:
I just tried again to join up at Corvair Center............third time !!!! Maybe this time is a charm
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

hrm2k wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:38 am
I just tried again to join up at Corvair Center............third time !!!! Maybe this time is a charm
Keep trying. The forum software over there might be older than our cars but everyone seem to love the antiquated features.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I've spent the last 6 months or so learning how to paint cars. I always wanted to do it, so I did.

And now it is time to paint the Corvair.............It is looking like hugger orange is the color

this is the last time you will see it green

erco

Post by erco »

Love that rear spoiler & louvers!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I'm sure it will look awesome!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I have started doing the taping on the Corvair. I have it up on skates.......removed the front and rear bumpers and other trim stuff.
I knew I needed to learn how to paint so my 99 Mazda Miata was chosen as a victrim.
To do this painting, I needed to learn how to paint.....adjust the gun........everything. I had bought a TP Tools Turbine Screw compressor HLVP with 3 matched guns. I also decided to use the Dupli Color Paint Shop Lacquer paint which is available just about everywhere you can buy parts. It only comes in quart size containers.
Turns out there is a heater in the air hose to hold down on the overspray. The air coming out of the compressor is 103 degrees. IT also means that the paint is almost dry to the touch as soon as it hits the car. It took me a while to figure this out. After some trial and error ( heavy on the error ) I found that if I mixed the can of paint ( premixed 50/50 according to the label ) with the same amount of acetone, It was easy to spray and the added thinner allowed the paint to flow out better and dry smoother.
Sience I did not know what I was doing, I decided to add racing stripes.........red metal flake in clear lacquer racing stripes.

I am now at the cut and buff stage and that is what I was doing today. I want to understand all the parts of doing this before I hit the Corvair
I know the car in these pictures is not a Corvair...........just showing the paint

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Here we go with another adventure. I still have a few things to take care of and still need to cover the wheels and tires. I have been sanding the car with 600 grit screens ( they have hook and loop attachment ) on a 6 inch pneumatic DA. I sure do love those screens........have them at 600,800,1200,2000,3000 all the way to 10,000. Sure does make prep a lot easier.
I was at the garage for a few hours today but before I left, I shot this quick video just for reference

more to follow real soon
erco

Post by erco »

Bitchin'!
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

As with several other products I have tried and reported on in this build thread, here comes another product test.
Since I an at the painting stop on the V8 Vair, I decided to try the Eastwood Roll On Primer Product called OPTI FLOW. My very first reactions are very positive. It is a 2 part product.......primer and activator. I bought their kit which is very pleasantly complete except foam brushes. I used a standard bristle paint brush. It leaves brush strokes so buy the foam brush. After my day using the first quart of primer, I went out and bought foam brushes.
A friend of mine has his 62 Impala SS in my shop for air bags and such so I mounted my GoPro to his roof to record the event.
I sped this video up to 2X the speed...........the audio is not understandable

The first quart went a long way. We leaned up the trunk lid and rear fenders and the grill below the rear window. Tomorrow will tell the final tail as to ease of sanding, coverage, etc. Sorry about the crappy cell phone video showing how far the first quart of paint went

more to follow as we move along
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

A note to anyone following this:

No where in the instructions from Eastwood does it say that for this coating to cure, it must be applied and left to cure in 60 plus degree temperatures for 4 days. As it stands right now, all the primer I applied will have to be removed with a chemical stripper . Using a chemical stripper will take all these panels down to bare metal I'm not sure I will ever be able to get this looking good again with a complete strip down to bare metal. There is a lot of paint below the green zinc chromate.
It has not cured past not coming off on your finger. Eastwood has no idea how long it will take to cure in the ambient temps in my garage.

In Eastwood's favor, they did issue a full refund on the remaining product which I will be happy to send them. I found that the activator separated from the primer while being mixed lass than 20 minutes while I was applying it.

My thoughts: DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT
erco

Post by erco »

OMG that sucks! If that wasn't called out explicitly, Eastwood should reimburse you for the entire quantity plus chem strip plus labor.
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Not sure what happened in your case, but I've used roll on primers and think they are great. I would use them again.
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Can you get the car to a place that has warmer temps or heat your place for 24 hours? Build a plastic tent around it an heat only that cocoon maybe? Sometime an epoxy-type product will start to cross-link if you can at least get the coating above 60 -70 degrees for a few hours. After that, it might fully cure in 6-7 days or so if you can only get the cross-link reaction to initiate.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

According to Eastwood, this may have been some bad product. While I was applying the primer, you could see the accelerator separating from the primer. The heat thing may be secondary. I was at the garage yesterday to drop of some parts that came in the mail. It still is not sandable. The tech guy at eastwood said it should cure in a week to ten days............today is a week.
My garage is 1250 sq ft.. I have a commercial gas heater as well as a kerosene heater. We left the heater on one night after we moved in. The heater ran all night. When my bill came in, my mind was blown. If I tried to heat the garage for a few days, the cost would be prohibitive....couple hundred dollars a day. The building has a flat tar and gravel roof, concrete block walls and zero insulation. Were it not for my kerosene heater, I'm not sure the heater could ever get the garage to 50 degrees on a 30 degree day...............the good news is rent is cheap.
I'm going to work on my roadster pickup for the next week or so as well as my buddy's 62 Impala SS.

I appreciate all the thought and help
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

This latest SNAFU has really been bothering me. It has been 10 days since I applied the Eastwood epoxy primer. It had a nice crusty finish but was still like jam underneath. I finally talked with a guy who works for the supplier of the product. I am going to have to own this one.
The product does what it is supposed to do as long as the outside temp ( and the temp in the garage ) does not drop below 70.
It probably would have been nice to have had that information in the instructions or at least in their YouTube videos. I applied the product with the garage temp at 65 degrees. Since I don't try to waste money, we turn the heat off when we leave. When the temp hit high thirties the first night, there was no saving the epoxy primer. I was told it would never cure...........ever !!!!!!
I screwed Up !!!!!!!! Not Eastwood but yours truly.

That brings about the next question.....what the hell do I do now ? I tried using lacquer thinner on a small spot. It took off the gray but it also started to take all the other paint in that spot off the car.........no good

The car was completed in 600 grit sandpaper before the primer problem. I tried to sand some of the stuff with 320 and even 240 grit paper. It accomplished nothing. I decided that since it was all screwed up, I might as well hit it with some heavy grit paper to see what it would do.

BINGO !!!

I stuck some 40 grit paper on my DA and let it fly. The primer really guns up the paper so if you get 3 minutes oiut of a piece of paper, you have done good.............and here is what I did

I ran out of sanding discs so I called it a night. Ill get some more tomorrow and finish getting all the gray off. The only problem is my perfectly smooth 600 grit finish is gone like a peanut butter sandwich in front a of a fat guy

More to follow

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”