Toro Corvair Project Thread azdave

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
65corvaircopnj
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Toro Corvair Project Thread azdave

Post by 65corvaircopnj »

The next day I completely replaced all of the wires for the rear lighting and now have dependable, super bright full LED tail lights across the rear. I kept the same correct 66 lenses but all 4 light positions are now combined marker/brake and turn signals. I'll deal with a backup light solution in the future. The car has not had backup lights since I got it.
Just curious how this worked out for you. I've been looking into doing a conversion over to the round LED trailer or truck brake/turn signals but have been preoccupied with other stuff. Do the 4" rounds fit inside nicely or did you have to cut up the housing 'cup' to modify?
Sure others would like to know too. I cringe when I have to make a left turn into the neighborhood off my busy street knowing that there traffic behind... :eek:
Thanks, enjoy and keep up the great work.
Chris
55 Belair Sedan
Used to have: 65 Monza Convertible; 66 Monza Cp w A/C ; 63 Monza Cp
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

65corvaircopnj wrote: Just curious how this worked out for you. I've been looking into doing a conversion over to the round LED trailer or truck brake/turn signals but have been preoccupied with other stuff. Do the 4" rounds fit inside nicely or did you have to cut up the housing 'cup' to modify?
Sure others would like to know too. I cringe when I have to make a left turn into the neighborhood off my busy street knowing that there traffic behind... :eek:
Thanks, enjoy and keep up the great work.
I'm very picky with my LED projects. I almost always build my conversions from scratch with more powerful LEDs. I've done three different LM Corvair conversions and the latest one (which I will be selling soon as a short kit) is by far the best solution. It does not require any changes to the housing so you can easily go back to stock if desired. It is easily 2 times as bright as the OEM bulbs and other than being brighter, doesn't look out of place. You don't see individual LEDs arranged under the lens like with new cars.

This video shows LEDs similar to what I just installed in the V8. This is the V8's sister car, an identical year and chassis 66 Corsa 140 (but still pure stock).

Here's the LED project I'm best most known for.
Attachments
My latest batch of LED tail lamp housings for a local club member.
My latest batch of LED tail lamp housings for a local club member.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I'd be interested in a set when you are ready Dave. :)
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Took the V8 to a car show last Friday night. The show is usually a big Hot Wheels and Matchbox collectors swap meet with drag races every Friday night but this night they had a special event to raise money for a family who had just lost their 19-year old son in a traffic accident (sadly he died while drving to the hospital for cancer treatments).

When I pulled into the lot they had workers to help park the vehicles. They were backing everyone into the spots so everyone could see the engines facing the isles. I pulled in nose first and they came over asking if I wanted to turn around so I could show off the engine. ::-):

The show was nice and relaxing with a wide variety of vehicles. The only other Corvair in attendance was a 63 Rampside work truck that belonged to the owner of Arizona Corvair Corral. I won a $25 gift card and a 59 El Camino won Best of Show.

This weekend I just did some tinkering on the V8. I installed front LED turn signals and stripped all of the old glued down carpet from the trunk while I was in there.

I worked on my other V8 Vair a little too. I cleaned it off and sorted through a few parts stored inside. I had to move it around so I welded up a cheap brace for the rear trailing arms so they would stay aligned as I rolled it around the driveway. It worked out good as I was able to use some old scrap steel tubing from the old engine support out of the 66.
Attachments
5614828_orig.jpg
197291_orig.jpg
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Added a quick video to youtube last night showing off my car and the LED tail light strobe feature I'm testing so I'll have some unique hazard lights.

Attachments
P6020027.JPG
P6020018.JPG
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

Looks awesome, sounds awesome!
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Very nice Dave! I agree with Motornoggin' ...she looks and sounds sweet!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
64vert
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 64vert »

AWESOME! :tu:
omaha, ne
corvair midwest
CORSA
Trip

Post by Trip »

/agree!

Now I just wanna know how quick it is =) 1/4 ET?
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
65corvaircopnj
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 65corvaircopnj »

Looks great Dave,

Quick question aside - I have the same wheels on my Vair. I bought new OEM center caps and could not get them to fit! did you have to mill out the center a few mm to obtain a gap between the Vair hub and the wheel center? (Maybe I just got a set of caps that was off) Thanks.
Chris
55 Belair Sedan
Used to have: 65 Monza Convertible; 66 Monza Cp w A/C ; 63 Monza Cp
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Grymm wrote:/agree!

Now I just wanna know how quick it is =) 1/4 ET?
No idea. It's a stock 75 Toro 455 engine with a 66 TH425 auto tranny and 3.23 diff. I doubt it would be much into the 14's. The tracks near me don't hold Friday night "Run what ya Brung" events until next fall. Too hot over the summer to get enough drivers to show up. I'll have to pass tech inspection first and until I get a neutral safety switch I'll fail that. Over the weekend I got the parts to try to install a "Park" lockout, neutral safety and backup lights. This fall I may go run it one night just to see what it does.

65corvaircopnj wrote:Looks great Dave,

Quick question aside - I have the same wheels on my Vair. I bought new OEM center caps and could not get them to fit! did you have to mill out the center a few mm to obtain a gap between the Vair hub and the wheel center? (Maybe I just got a set of caps that was off) Thanks.
There are many caps that look exactly correct but just miss on fitting properly. I bought a full repro set on ebay and they snapped on with no problem but I was very careful when I measured them. I have several other caps that I found before the ebay order and they look correct too but don't quite fit.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Any new updates? Need More of your stuff. :tu:
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
Corvair Society Of America Member "Corsa"
V-8 Registry Member
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Vair-8 wrote:Any new updates? Need More of your stuff. :tu:
I've been driving the V8 in the mornings and evening when it's not too hot. Without A/C it's not too cozy in the heat of the day. I'm mostly laying low right now on major automotive work thinking any day I'll need to pack up and move.

I'm still pursuing that home I've been trying to purchase since last August. It finally appears that it will happen but with as many things that have delayed it so far I'm not counting my chickens yet. I could get the keys this week and if so I'll be a busy guy for many months while I move 22 years worth of stuff and also get the old house ready to rent.

My daughter also moved in with me for 3 weeks while waiting to move to Mexico so I have all of her possesions stacked around the house plus two pets.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
wment

Post by wment »

Dave
Nice car. I have a question. You probably mentioned it in your post and I missed it so if I did im sorry but what type of bushings did you use on the inner ends of the new part of the trailing arms you added. The arms look very reminiscent of the VW IRS arms.

wm
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

wment wrote:Dave
...what type of bushings did you use on the inner ends of the new part of the trailing arms you added.
Same as the Corvair trailing arm bushings that bolt to the plates ahead of the rear wheel.

Remember, I bought this car as a rolling basket case of problems and in the case of the trailing arm add-on, a previous owner had set it up for the Corvair bushing and I saw no need to change the design. I might use Nylon or Delrin later but for now it's standard rubber bushings from any Corvair vendor.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
UGLYTRUK

Post by UGLYTRUK »

I just the read all 4 pages, sounds like fun!

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”