Wheel mounting on a 63 coupe

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
Datsolow

Wheel mounting on a 63 coupe

Post by Datsolow »

Does anyone know on the brake drums are four rivets that protrude past the mounting face. :helpsos: :helpsos:
1/ Can these be removed as my wolf race slot mags are flat faced ?
2/ Drill the wheel to correspond to the rivets allowing correct fitting face to face ?
Cheers Paul
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Wheel mounting on a 63 coupe

Post by bbodie52 »

I don't currently own an EM Corvair, but I remember getting involved in a discussion about those front brake drum rivets, which are apparently a source of confusion. They are not mentioned in the shop manual.

Basically, the rivets can be drilled and removed. It appears that they served a purpose in the assembly line, but are not needed. In fact, they must be removed if the drum is ever replaced, in order to retain the hub and bearing assembly.

You can view the brief 2013 discussion regarding those rivets by clicking on the following link...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5497
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Yes you can drill and remove the rivets. I have done this on mine. I would suggest you do it with the drums off the car (must remove front wheel bearings). Drilling out the inside of the rivet then driving it out the outside of the drum is the easiest way. Having the rivets off makes brake access way easier when needed. Yes the drum still centers on the hub just like on the rear. The rivets really were only there for ease of assembly at the factory, at least that's the only reason I can figure out for them to be there.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
recessbilly

Post by recessbilly »

I just used a grinder and took the rivet heads off. I would recommend having the drums turned before you do though. The rivets hold the hub to the drum, and keep it in place when a wheel is not mounted.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Removing the rivets causes no problems, in fact drum replacement included removing them as new drums did not come with the hub. Grinding the drum side flat and driving the rivets out is easier than drilling. Do protect the wheel bearing area from getting any debris in it. Remove the assembly from the car an place it flat on the ground with the studs up, re-install the grease cap to keep ground metal out, grind flat, punch out, remove grease cap, re-grease bearings, and reinstall.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Datsolow

Post by Datsolow »

Thanks all wheels on ,looks great.

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”