Yenko Stinger Question

(and the DANA COPO)
Apittslife

Yenko Stinger Question

Post by Apittslife »

I had my 66 corsa 180, sitting out side my place of employment earlier this week, & a Guy stopped in, & asked me if I would be interested in buying another corvair? I said sure, as long as it was a LM, & the price was right.
He said that he thinks it is a 68 corvair? And His Father had bought new, And that is was suppose to have been kinda rare, But He isnt a car guy. He discribed it as being white with a blue strip down the center of the car. That got my attention!
He also told me that the car has been garaged for nearly 40 years, so the body is in great shape, But the engine was removed & sold years ago, & that it never had Bumper's. I asked if it was a 4spd car & he said that he believes it was an automatic.

He stated, that His father wants the car out of the garage, sooner then later, as He has lost all interest in it. So I told him to consider it sold, & He has offered to bring it to me, next tyme he goes to visit his Father.

SO! Could it be a real Stinger? All the reading I did, says there weren't any 68 Stinger's.
Allan Lacki

Re: Yenko Stinger Question

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi Apittslife,

My advice: Get on the Corvair Racers Facebook page and post your inquiry there. That's where some of the Yenko Stinger guys hang out.

I'm no Yenko expert, but probably the only real way to tell if the car is a real Yenko Stinger would be to get a hold of the Yenko dealership sales invoice for that car and compare the VIN number on the invoice to the one on the car. And verify that the VIN plate hasn't been tampered. I'm talking about the Chevrolet VIN, not the Yenko ID plate.

Yenko Stingers have a special Yenko YS ID plate, but the presence of one on a Corvair is no guarantee that Corvair is a genuine Yenko Stinger. The Yenko dealership mailed them out to Corvair owners on request as part of the "continuation series".

Racers also used to remove the Yenko ID plate from crashed Yenko's and install them on Yenko replica Corvairs - "rebodied" Yenkos - so they could continue racing a Corvair-bodied car with SCCA.

Again, don't take my word for it. Check with the real experts. But this is what I'd expect them to say.

And hey, if the body on that car is in good shape, it will be worth a few bucks anyway!

Al Lacki
CORSA Board of Directors
Northeast Corvair Council Board of Directors

http://copo.com/stinger-continuation-series.html
http://copo.com/index.html
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Yes, if the body is as good as he said it is, I will be installing the 140 that is currently in my Corsa, into the car. Then I will drive it while I redo the corsa & find a replacement 4spd transaxle for her & re-install the original Turbo motor. ( Still hoping it is a Stinger thou, LOL )

Thanks for the reply.
chris

Post by chris »

Although the automatic part (unless a previous owner for some strange reason swapped it in) would not be Stinger.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

The owner's son, is suppose to send me a couple pics some tyme after Christmas. he says he will bring the car to me the next tyme he gets down there with a trailer. Soon as I receive it, I will be taking Pics of the plates, so I know what I have.

Return to “Yenko Stingers”