Electric fuel pump.

Humor, Politics, etc...
vaporloc

Electric fuel pump.

Post by vaporloc »

I figured I'd post this here since it's not really a big corvair thing. I finally installed an electric (back up) fuel pump on my 66 turbo convertible.. See the car don't get driven much. seems the gas evaporates from the carb and it takes alot of grinding to get gas back to the YH to crank it up. I took my time and done a very neat job. Made a bracket to hide the toggle switch under the dash for a still stock look. Now I click the pump on. I here it go under a load, pump the gas three or for times to set the choke and prime it up and bam, it cranks in a heart beat.. I think my starter is going to like it's new friend. It won't have to work as hard anymore.. As soon as it cranks, I shut off the electric pump and let the manual pump take over.. One more thing done.. :clap:
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Electric fuel pump.

Post by UNSAFE »

Yeah - I think the gas evaporates faster than in the old days , especially the winter blends.

My Vette has to crank and crank after sitting for 4 or 5 days. My vair has an electric pump but I don't have an over-ride switch for starting yet and rely on oil pressure. I keep a short wire pigtail so I can jump the terminals if needed.
Plans call for a momentary switch before the relay so I can prime the carbs.

I have a Holley red pump near the tank and enlarged all lines to 3/8. The pump is pretty noisy but you don't notice it above idle rpm. I'm also using a pressure regulator set at about 2psi for my Webers. The 3/8 fuel line is overkill but it's leftover from my EFI daze.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

Kevin; That is a big fuel line for a corvair. With my 64 chevy II post car, with the 383 stroker engine, I upgraded the fuel line on it to 3/8. I even took the new sending unit and removed the 5/16 pick up tube and installed a 3/8 pick up into it. When I was working full time (now I only work when he calls and needs me) on the Tennessee Thunder motorsports race cars, we ran 5/8 aluminum fuel lines. All the cars were using rear mounted Barry Grant electric fuel pumps. I'am going to napa today and buying another electric fuel pump to install on the white 65 140 corsa vert. I figured it can't hurt it. As with the turbo car, I'll put a toggle switch and only use it to prime the carbs when it sits for a week or two..
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

I run an electric only. After all the issues with sitting for a while and vaporlock, electric is the only way I will go on any Corvair. :)
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/

Return to “Off Topic”