Right Now ?

Humor, Politics, etc...
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Right Now ?

Post by UNSAFE »

Right now I am assembling my spare 3.1 liter motor. I have been moving this motor around including to most conventions since 2004. I had the short block fully assembled once but tore it back down because of a questionable con rod.
I have been working for days cleaning up parts and getting my tools in order. I finally found the missing rod bearing half so I am starting assembly right now.
I'm getting ready to install the pistons in the jugs and install the rods. The rings are total seal gapless on Mahle VW 94mm forged pistons with lightened stock rods. I've used total seal rings for the last 20 years.

I'll update with some pics or video later tonight.

I also fixed the oil leak on my current motor. The valve cover was leaking even after I took it off and re-installed. I thought the gasket was going to have slipped but it was in place. I'm using the Clark's silicone blue gaskets. It turned out that I just wasn't tightening enough. Now it is dry.

I thought I'd drive it today but woke up to light snow on the ground. It has been an unseasonably warm winter so far tho.

I also installed some new tips on my Supertrapp mufflers. I usually use 18 diffuser disks and a solid end cap or I run with the ends open. The new caps are cone shaped and have about a 1.5" hole in them. I have only revved it up and haven't driven it yet but it seems to have a higher pitched european sound so far.

I'm also gonna remove the new inserts in my Corvette sidepipes and put the silly Spiral baffles back in. It sounds like a 4X4 with glasspacks now. :td:

Also changed the oil on my Toyota ( before the throttle sticks ) . It just doesn't feel right putting 5w20 in my motor. I've seen thicker water before.

Also changed my Vette oil. Went back to dino 10w30 Castrol instead of the 10w30 semi synthetic Castrol that I tried last time. There was a notable increase in oil pressure ????? The old oil didn't look bad or seem diluted.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Right Now ?

Post by Scott H »

Wow you've been a busy boy. :burnout:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

On another 13 straight days at work...cant say no to the double time pay.

Have a week off in 2 weeks...will be installing lexan rear and doing the odds and ends.

My Crew-Chief has all the motor parts at machine shops...we are:

Relieving the Venolia pistons for interference clearance.

Having set of standard jugs individually matched to .040 over pistons.

Set screwing fail safe gear to cam.

Chamfering the crank journals.

I wouldn't let him cross drill the crank mains.

Crank gear is doweled and welded

Drilling pressure holes in the top of the pistons into top ring groove.

Boost will insure no compression ring flexing at 8K rpm.

Resizing rods and balancing everything to 1/10 of a gram.

All 6 inconel exhaust valves were bent from spun crank gear...Slover porting.

Building new adjustable rear spoiler & spill plate set up.

Hope to front half cage and buy new DJ chute...really want a new chute.

Cause we're gonna be F'ing fast.

Attachments
PhilsCar2.jpg
PhilsCar2.jpg (20.91 KiB) Viewed 525 times
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

My parents Mitsubishi Galant GLS uses 5w20 oil.... I noticed Chrysler is switching to 20 wieght on some cars....

You have been busy. :)
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Wow Kevin, the spare motor looks good. (Other thread - and forget the ?? I now see it is a 3.1) Yes, you have been busy. You should fly down here where it's supposed to be 62 today and tool around my (messy) garage and toss some things together on my spare 140. gggg

I can't wait to see this one done too. Are you just building a short block and will use your current heads? Or will it be a complete drop in motor when you're done?
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Mike - it will be a complete motor if I ever finish it. From carbs to headers and includes transaxle. A drop in spare powertrain. It will be basically the same as the one I have but with a little more compression and porting.

Ran into a couple of snags already tho . To recap - in 2008 at the Corvair olympics I had to use a piston and jug from the one I'm building now to repair a blown cyl. Originally I planned to remove the jug and replace it with a very good used one when I got home.
Then I thought I might as well just put it in the new motor and save a bunch of hassle.

No such luck - the cylinder I was planning to use is too large at the base to fit in my case. It is very close but not quite.

So this afternoon I will be removing the #1 piston and jug that only have about 25 miles on them from my running motor so I can assemble my new motor and I will then reassemble my current motor with the used jug. These parts are very low milage too.

The second problem was the lifters . They were new in the box and still wrapped in plastic and had never been wet but the moist salt air up here caused then to rust in the box. Not worth risking a new cam so new Isky high rev lifters are on order.
Here's a pic of how it sits right now.

Working on a level floor is a new experience for me and I'm digging it. I also added a photo of how I keep warm working in a tent in Alaska. It is a Monitor brand oil fired furnace. It's about the size of a suitcase and uses a zero clearance 2" exhaust with intake for outside combustion air. I heat my house with the same thing and they really put out some BTUs with minimal fuel usage.
Attachments
motorbuild1.jpg
monitor.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Wow - I'm getting slow in my old age . It took me almost an hour and a half to get the piston out. This did include removing the top cover and con rod to inspect bearing. If race day was tomorrow I'd be ready. It sure was a bunch easier than the last time when I did it on a trailer in the blistering Indiana sun in July.

The wrist pins are floating type so rod removal is not needed.

Still gotta get those dang lifters before I can torque down the heads so I'm about a week away on that.

The inside of my current motor looks very good with no wear on the bearing I looked at so far. Must be that good Castrol Dino oil :cool:

Now the cylinder fits and I can continue up to the lifters. Here's a few pics from today.
Attachments
assembly 2.jpg
assembly 3.jpg
assembly 4.jpg
assembly 5.jpg
assembly 6.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

I have a car for sale that engine would drop into.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

UNSAFE wrote: Working on a level floor is a new experience for me and I'm digging it.

Do you find yourself leaning while you work now? :think:
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

4carbcorvair wrote:
UNSAFE wrote: Working on a level floor is a new experience for me and I'm digging it.

Do you find yourself leaning while you work now? :think:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Kevin, how is the garage coming ??? Or did I miss something? You didn't just move the tent garage up to the flat spot did you? ggggg

Man that is one nice looking spare motor. What takes you 1.5 hrs to do takes me 3 days. Keep us informed will you?

Return to “Off Topic”