Is This a Corvair ?

Humor, Politics, etc...
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Is This a Corvair ?

Post by UNSAFE »

I've been collecting a bunch of old automotive styling artwork on the net. This pic is one from a recent video of mine and a sharp Youtube viewer who I happen to know (we ate goat together in NY) noted that this one looked like an early Corvair styling drawing. I had missed it myself but after looking it over it does appear to be a rear engined car. All the info I have on it is "1950s GM style art" but it definitely says Chevrolet on the fender.

The seating positions and wheel arrangement definitely point towards a rear engine design.

Wadda ya think ?
Attachments
ua2476.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Is This a Corvair ?

Post by Scott H »

Those chrome things on the rear could also be vents?..maybe? Definitely rear engined.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

To me the tail lights lean towards 55 chevy style.. Not saying it is not rear engine or early vair design. Even two tone paint seems reversed 55 chevy style.
Butcher&Vairs

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

:think:
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

>>>>To me the tail lights lean towards 55 chevy style<<<

That would make sense but remember the Corvair was "9 years in the planning" and there were likely hundreds of styling attempts before they came up with the 1960 bath tub. This could have been from 1955 or even prior to that.

The date of the pic does coincide with corvair planning. It really does look like a rear engine car and I think the Corvair was the only rear engine GM was working around that time.

There are likely lots of these pics yet to emerge. Remember the 69 style art I discovered a few weeks ago ?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
This truck from GM 1962 looks like it has Rampside blood in it to me. Even looks like a ramp on the side .
1962 style maybe FC.jpg

Here's a Cadillac , a Chrysler and a T- bird in the bottom pics.
Attachments
caddy.jpg
ua2609.jpg
ua2602.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I'm still thinking that the car in my first pic is a Corvair styling attempt from the mid 50s. I drew in a corvair unipack and it looked like a perfect fit. The large shelf behind the back seat looks like it's there to clear the tranny and so does the position of the back seat.

Here are a couple of pics that are definitely Corvair from 1957. It doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to picture the red car as a precursor to these style attempts below.
Attachments
scan0420.jpg
scan0421.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Off Topic”