Got Any Good Junkyard Stories ?

Humor, Politics, etc...
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Got Any Good Junkyard Stories ?

Post by UNSAFE »

I lived in Spfd Mo when I first started driving and quickly became friends with the owners of many of the local junkyards.
I usually went to the little "hole in the wall" yards where the proprietor often lived in a shack on the premises.
These were the characters that would look out place anywhere else they went. Often unshaven and grubby and or intoxicated. :tongue:
But these were the yards that had the old parts that I was looking for and often you could get something you needed for the mere price of a six pack of beer.
I used to roam around looking at stuff even after I found what I was looking for. I remeber one yard that had a whole row of Vairs , I even bought an entire front clip from them because it had factory AC. I never did do anything with it tho.

So when I moved back to Alaska about 25 years ago there were only two junkyards in town and the owners had you over a barrel on pricing. Most of the cars were already Rust Bombs by the time thet got to the yards.
Several years ago the EPA put both yards out of business. Now the city accepts junkers at no cost and all of the cars including newer totaled cars are stacked on a barge and shipped to seattle for salvage.
I see them go right by my house and wonder how many good parts that I could adapt to my Vair are gonna just be shredded or melted down.
I do kinda miss strolling thru the old cars - :sad5:

Here's a a corvair junkyard video slideshow that I made the other day . It's just early models. You may have already seen it , but if not - check it out

Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Yenko117

Re: Got Any Good Junkyard Stories ?

Post by Yenko117 »

One time, when I was about 17, I went to a junkyard with my best friend and 2 guys from Group Corvair - George McMannis and Kevin Uh-I-Ferget-His-Last-Name. George told me there were some 'Vairs in the yard, my buddy was just there to observe and kill some time. Well, there was a new Corvair in the yard, a '65 Monza with a wood wheel. Now I didn't have a thing to pull it with, as I had not expected to see such a treasure. My best friend was a high-school wrestler and he thought he was just a few pounds short of Ahm-hold Schvortz-a-negger. I think he wrestled 170. Well there was no way I was leaving the yard without that wheel. I pulled the nut off the hub and my buddy hops in the driver's seat and says he'll give it a good shake. Well he shook it like Sarah Palin wringing Keith Olberman's neck and DAMN if the thing didn't pop right off! It was in perfect shape, not twisted or warped at all. I've never seen one do that before or since, although I do carry a small puller in my tool box just in case I'm ever in that predicament again. 6 late primary carbs, some trim, tail light lenses and the wheel for $20, made for a great afternoon.

Mike
YS-117
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Ive got a good yard out here, sourced many odd things from them. Owner is a billy, cool guy, helps to bring beer. Got my '26 Hupmobile body out of there, tons of parts for it. Picked up a Mazda rotary engine, pulled with the adaptor, from a bug. He has a yard that has been open since '32, along with a bunch of other locations all within 2 towns next to each other.

So to tie this into Vairs, I got a heads up on something there possibly this morning. Just wanted to share the excitement. I will look into it and pass on any info I have if I pass this up or what not. Lets just say its not something you see every day. Well maybe some of us here do, not me though.

Cant wait to call the yard, I know them so well I have the owners cell. lol.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Oh chit! Got a developing find. A hot lead was followed up with a confirmation of two vehicles, both for parts per the owner. Info following, on a need to know basis. And I need to know. Lol. I need to find the time to get out there now.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
J.M

Post by J.M »

I do... it's short but sweet.

One of Mo Carters Canadian sold Yenko's ended up in macadoo's auto wreckers in my home town of Kingston Ontario sometime in the early 70's after an accident at Mosport.

I heard the story from 2 people (who don't know each other) then as luck would have it I actually worked for the son of the guy who wrecked it, an employee of Mo Carters (Sales Manager).

Macadoo's is still there, the yenko.. Nope..
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

So Im anxious about this sat. Figured I would mention what Im going to check out a van and a rampside! Both said to be available for parts! Cant wait. :fingerscrossed:
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

cool. let us know what treasures you come home with.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Well no Rampside, sorta disapointed. But there was a Corvan. Either 61 or 62. Pretty rusty, but got a few things and plan on going back for a few other things. Got tail lenses and bezels, Chevrolet script, door stops for the rear, and another inner door handle I was missing. Tons o pics to follow.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Ok finaly loaded the pics from my last weekends junkyard stroll. Not all the pics worked, I was having issues with my memory stick. There were more Vairs than I have pics of but with the issues who knows where they went. I was told after leaving that there was a Lakewood also, I didnt get to see that either. Never did find out if the rampside was still there, but I dont think so.

Quite a few pics, most not Vairs, but alot of used to be cool cars. Also If you see any cars in the buildings, they are for sale so let me know, I can put you in touch with the yard.

Last edited by Vanman on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I like the crew cab transporter. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Bay window ('68 and later) double cab, I would love to have one. But at $1000, and about 3"-5" of the lower part of the bus gone, Im out.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Yikes. That's not old enough to be that rusty? (spoiled out here in CA). Most of that stuff looked pretty rough.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Thats what salt will do. 10 year old cars are usualy pretty rusty here, I wouldnt buy a Dodge here for that reason, on top of many others.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
UGLYTRUK

Post by UGLYTRUK »

Seen in Vermont a couple of years ago... and a bit further west

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?pi=0&p ... rd%20&dm=1
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Ok, second chapter to my yard story. Went back to the yard I posted tons of pics of to get a specific part today. Ended up finding the Rampside (rough doesnt describe it! lol.) along with a greenbrier, and a lakewood, and more cars also. :dontknow:

Asked the yard manager to pull the brier out from between the trees as I would be back for parts off it and couldnt get to the drivers door. It had a rear bench! I cant wait to get back out there early on a sat and have time to tear into them. The rampside had a rear gate and lt latch, someone was looking for one, pm me if you see this.

I will post pics once Im done loading them, they are going to my email right now and I need to get on the road and back out to the office tonight. :td:
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Not all vairs, but some cool vans and trucks as well.

Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.

Return to “Off Topic”