What Did You Learn To Drive In ??

Humor, Politics, etc...
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

What Did You Learn To Drive In ??

Post by UNSAFE »

My dad was a real car guy and had several cars when I was a tot.

The first time he let me steer (hold the wheel) was when I was about 6 and we were driving down the ALCAN highway in a Volvo. It was wilderness with no other cars for hours sometimes.
scan0006.jpg
Dad wanted to pour some coffee from the thermos and he let me hold the wheel for a second . A second was all it took and we were in the ditch. A few years later he let me steer his airplane -- good thing there were no ditches around.

Ok , fast forward -- I actually learned to drive in two cars. Mom had a 67 Caprice with a 396 automatic and Dad had a 66 El Camino 396 4 speed. At this point I already had a valid small motorcycle license since I was 14. I had some knowledge of traffic and such. I lived in Las Vegas at the time and would ride my Honda 65 up and down fremont street street and the "Strip" or even "out to the lake" .

Mom's car was decked out with all the options. When she let me drive (with her) I would floor it and do burnouts all the time and she'd let me. Love ya Mom !
scan0003.jpg

Dad , on the other hand was very strict ( retired military lifer) . I had to keep both hands on the wheel. It was like driving "Miss Daisy" ! Love ya Dad !
scan0005.jpg
So maybe I was doomed to be a hot rodder ever since birth ?
1699.jpg

Kevin
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: What Did You Learn To Drive In ??

Post by 4carbcorvair »

As soon as I could see over the steeting wheel. The CJ I now have, dad bought new off the showroom floor. We would go down a dirt road, he would put it in 4lo and let me drive. Just idleing. I learned to drive and took my drivers test in the CJ. I still have it 25 years later. :)
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

I was probably 8 or so Dad used to let me drive from the mail box to the house about 500 feet . It was either a 66 corvair turbo coupe or his Stinger. I never had a chance.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Michael wrote >>>> I never had a chance.<<<<<

LOL !!!!! No- I bet you didn't ! :lol:

I used to do the back and forth thing in my driveway too just before I got my license.

Only problem was the driveway was only about 3 car lengths long. I would spend hours just going back and forth about 50 feet at a time.

The first time I took my license test I flunked the damn thing. The guy wanted me to make a left turn onto a side street . I did and then he had me pull over and he drove my car back to DMV. I was thinking what the - ? Turned out I was traveling on a one way street when he asked me to turn and I just turned from the middle lane instead of pulling to the farthest left lane. I passed the next time and got my license but I did lose it a few times when I was young ! :roll:

Back then it was just printed on heavy paper with no photo or anything to deter altering.

Then came the old style credit card type with raised letters . Even easier to alter the birth date. Don't ask ! 8-)

The day I got my license my mom let me take her 67 Datsun pickup out for the night.

She wasn't happy when she had to have a wrecker retreive the car from a puddle. A very large puddle ! :oops:

Kevin.
Attachments
girlfriend charlene corrado las vegas 1968.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I learned to drive in a '72 Datsun 510 4 speed. I loved that car!

I took my "first" drivers test in my mom's 1958 VW Bug. The driving instructor was NOT happy with the fact that the car did not have seat belts! We pulled out of the DMV driveway, I turned right and drove about 100 feet, I slowed down to go through a dip (mind you the car was lowered too so I slowed down allot). He immediately told me to turn around and go back. He failed me for driving through the dip too fast.
My second attempt was in my 510 but I failed that one for turning left into a street without going into the center turn lane. I just turned from where I was. Third time was a charm.:)
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
66blackvert

Post by 66blackvert »

I learned to drive in my dad's car he drove to work...a '64 Monza coupe 110/4-spd., Palomar Red w/ black interior. Since it was a manual transisison, the folks wanted us to learn on that "so we could drive anything." 4 out of 5 of my younger brothers learned to drive in that same car before my 4th youngest brother bought it from my dad. My youngest brother eventually bought a '68 coupe with a PG as his first Corvair. He now has this '65 Monza coupe 110/PG.
DSC_0219 V2.jpg
DSC_0219 V2.jpg (327.61 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Dad? Well, he's still stuck on the '64s. He currently has another Monza 110/4 coupe as a driver amd this Spyder coupe that he restored from around 2000 to 2005.
DSC_0216 V2.jpg
DSC_0216 V2.jpg (277.55 KiB) Viewed 654 times
DSC_0053 V2.jpg
DSC_0053 V2.jpg (196.42 KiB) Viewed 654 times
His "fleet" also includes a couple of Ford Model A's he has restored (1929 & 1931) and his "regular" car is a '96 Impala SS.

I'm still wondering where all six of us aquired our interest and passion for cars!! :think:
Mike Bremer
'66 Monza Convertible
Circle City Corvairs - Indianapolis
CORSA
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I learned in a 65 140 Corsa Coupe that belonged to my grandmother. I eventually became the owner years later, restored it and won several awards with it before selling it to someone in Prescott AZ.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
rnch

Post by rnch »

i learned the fine art of stick shift driving in my dad's '66 ford ranchero, 289 engine and "3-on-the-tree" sloppy sloppy sloppy shifting manual transmission. the steering and gear shift lever felt like you were manuvering thru a bucket of pure cane syrup!

i learned how to "power brake" in my mom's '66 ford country sedan station wagon... 390 "thunderbird special" engine. it felt like the rear end was mounted on roller skates, it handled so badly and loosely. but the 390 could huff and puff and do impressive burn outs.

after getting MY first car, a 4 year old '67 monza, i had NO desire to drie mom and dad's cars!

Return to “Off Topic”