Not quite a Vair

Humor, Politics, etc...
crackerssouth

Not quite a Vair

Post by crackerssouth »

Here ya go......Not quite a Vair, but the engine is in the rear... my friend Jamie showed up with his completely restored 1962 Amphicar. 25 years and $50,000 later, it looks just as good as the pictures. He figures there's somewhere around 400 cars left.
Attachments
Jamies Car.JPG
Interior.JPG
Triumph Engine.JPG
Definition of a classic: "How far can you drive and still afford to get towed home".
flat6_musik

Re: Not quite a Vair

Post by flat6_musik »

Wow! Those are so cool! I was just checking one out in an old issue of Hemmings Motor News. I can't imagine how unnerving it would be the first time you drove it into the water, not to mention your female passengers! They'd probably be ready to scream!

Which brought me to my next thought......don't tell your passengers it's an Amphicar, just an old restored car.....and drive it on into the lake.....LMAO

BTW, where were those made??
Last edited by flat6_musik on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reidmier
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by reidmier »

One of these is a featured character in the movie Pontiac Moon. Very cool indeed!
Reid M.
Washington, UT.
'65 Monza 110 PG

http://www.hacoa.org/
http://www.vegasvairs.com/
crackerssouth

Post by crackerssouth »

Made in Germany....... Powered originally by a Triumph Herald motor 38 HP, then later by a Triumph Spitfire engine, 43 HP. Their motto was " The fastest car on water & the fastest boat on land". I've known him for 17 years and had no idea he had this. Some people sure lead a private life. Apparantly he has another 5 classics, hafta find out what they are, but he doesn't have a Corvair.
Definition of a classic: "How far can you drive and still afford to get towed home".
magnumsi

Post by magnumsi »

Its the only car ever to have an anchor as an option.
Trip

Post by Trip »

My father has been telling me about one of these that was here on Lake Wallenpaupack in the 60's, he said it was really terrible on the lake, but then he also still swears Corvairs flip over =P

A project I've been wanting to do for years is get a beat up vw beetle, waterproof the heck out of it, and install a small outboard engine inside the engine room.... then just cruise around (at very very low speed LOL) where all the boats hang out on the weekends. My motivation is the fact that people are always talking about how a beetle will float (for a while anyway). My project beetle boat would NOT be drivable on the street though!!!
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
mart

Post by mart »

All beetle owners should try this until every single beetle lies at the bottom of some lake or other :tu:
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

magnumsi wrote:Its the only car ever to have an anchor as an option.
I guess that would be a fair statement as many other cars had, or were "Boat Anchor's" as standard equipment. :rolling:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
magnumsi

Post by magnumsi »

I remember the host of car and driver tv saying that and it always stuck with me. Funny.

Return to “Off Topic”