Does anyone have literal Corvair toys?

Humor, Politics, etc...
larrybuck

Does anyone have literal Corvair toys?

Post by larrybuck »

HI! I was just checking out the Corvair model posts, when I suddenly remembered; I have a rampside PU w Camper still down in my Mom's basement!!! I'm 56, and my brother is 50, and we still have all of our childhood toys at Mom's. I don't visit her too often, but Mother's Day is coming up! We have an established train table layout, many hot wheels cars and matchbox cars from the 60's. As for these tiny cars, what I remember off the top: an early Camaro, a couple of mid to late 60's Mercedes; one a convert, the other a sedan. My earliest little cars I believe are Tootsie Toy cars. These are all metal in a hot wheels size. My first two and all time favorites, are an Army Jeep and what I believe is a '56 Plymouth 2dr. The Plymouth was red, so I always pretended that it was the Fire Chief's car. My brother and I always looked forward to Christmas break from school, as we lived down there almost each day! ( in the Pac. NW, very rainy, indoor time) I played w that Ply. and Jeep so much, that 99% of all the paint was wore off. In my early teenage yrs, what finished off that paint, was that I started tapping on the roofs w my finger mimicing that I was using turn signals! I'm the only car nut in my family, and this is how I got started! An '55 or so Ford station wagon was also heavily enjoyed! As for car models, my favorite builds were a '70 Cuda, '66 Corvette roadster, '57 Chevy, a 1/24th scale '60 Chev. Sedan Delivery in Hugger Orange! It had custom rear taillights in a flat panel across the back kind of like an early Dodge Charger. It had matching tint sunroof. It was called Bad News being a tough street fighter racer look! I liked it so much, that I bought a real one that was faded orange w 283 w PG. A little rusty but fun for $200 ish. In the mid 70's, before leaving home, (growing up and leaving parents) I bought lots of $200. cars, drove them a little, trying out different types of vehicles, usually reselling within a few months, w no maint. costs whatso ever! Back to model, I still have my 1st that my Dad built for me (my Dad is still alive and in fairly good health) It's an unpainted white AMT '63 Impala HT. My current unbuilt models are:An American Graffiti '55 Chevy ( which I will omit the front bumper for the tough look!!), a '70 AAR Cuda, and a 'Buick GSX that I bought at the Portland Swap Meet two yrs. ago!! Two yrs. ago, my MOM and brother popped me into a no charge small car show at a local park, to spend 45 minutes or so as part of a family fun drive we were on, on the day we were celebrating my birthday. I was explaining many veh. to my Bro. and Mom when I showed her a '70 GSX in its usual stock color. She loudly exclaimed that the car looked nice, but she wasn't too crazy about the color. I had to nicely hush her explaining that the only other factory color for '70 was the Apollo White, and that we didn't want to hurt the feelings of the owner sitting in his lounge chair few feet away! Thank you for your patience during my rambling!!!! BACK TO VAIRS!!!!! The Corvair side ramp PU is HUGE!!! I roughly remember that it's about 1/ one half feet long... about 1 foot high. The truck is all metal; the plastic camper can be removed or installed in literally 1 second! The camper is the cabover type (front sleeping bed) Both the PU and the Camper are a Robin egg blue similar to the stock '57 Chevy color. Can't wait to find it, take a picture, and then figure out how to post pictures on here. Can't wait to hear your stories!!!!! Aloha!
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Does anyone have literal Corvair toys?

Post by UNSAFE »

Can't wait to find it, take a picture, and then figure out how to post pictures on here.
Posting pics here takes about 4 clicks and is easy as pie. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

When I was young I built almost every model car kit out there . I started with the Big T when I was about 7 years old but dad did most of the assembly.

I collected Matchbook cars too but I don't remember having any Vairs. I did have an HO gauge slot car set with some Vairs.

I have a few unbuilt Corvair and Corvette kits now but I don't know if I'll ever find the time to put them together.

Here's a musical slideshow that I put together some time back. It features many Corvair toys.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
larrybuck

Re: Does anyone have literal Corvair toys?

Post by larrybuck »

Hi Kevin; Thanks for sharing your toys and models with us. I must say that after reading several of your posts, that you have to be the most dedicated one brand car guy I have ever heard of! I feel twice humbled because of your excellant presentation, and also that I think I may have goofed in that the Camper truck I described may actually be that 4-letter word called a Ford! Time will tell. (after Mother's Day perhaps) At any rate, the Portland Swap Meet will be coming up in a couple of weeks, and inspired by Kevin, I'll be looking for LM models and or toys. In 3 days the Portland Roadster Show will offer the same chances. At the swap meet last yr., I only remember 1 LM 4 sale, and sadly it was a total rust bucket! Aloha!

Return to “Off Topic”