Silicone was on sale, or what ?

Humor, Politics, etc...
Butcher&Vairs

Silicone was on sale, or what ?

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

Damn, I just spent 30 mn trying to remove this kind of glue that someone used for gasket sealer, idiot ! :x Does anyone out there know what the hell it is, or has run into something similar ? Myself, I found an easy way to seal your engine without going that extreme, I found that white lithium grease, available at your local Autoparts , works awesome, easy to apply, easy to remove when you need to, and good seal. Alright, keep them rolling, peace out !
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the Heartland
www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
e-mail: rafee@rafeecorvair.com
Attachments
papin3 001.JPG
papin3 001.JPG (138.67 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
papin3 002.JPG
papin3 002.JPG (177.66 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Silicone was on sale, or what ?

Post by UNSAFE »

I can't tell for sure from the pic but it looks kinda like Liquid Nails or Flooring adhesive ?

Yeah - a gasket shouldn't need a bunch of sealer (if any often).

Excess Silly-cone can do much harm to an engine if loose pieces get up against the oil pickup screen.
Attachments
1192.jpg
1192.jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Butcher&Vairs

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

Damn, what's that ? looks like oil slushy, yum yum ! Yeah, what's up with that, people and their weird sealant.
Attachments
140.hp 072.JPG
140.hp 072.JPG (164.96 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
AREA 51

Post by AREA 51 »

Looks like Yamabond,

I had to remove it from the engine case when i rebuilt my 78 850 Yamaha.

Stuff is bullet proof

I use a old hack saw blade with an sharp edge from a honing stone.
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

I can remember while still in school working at a heavy collision body and paint shop. We did small engine repairs also.. Silicone was just starting to come into auto parts stores. The owner of the shop always used Indian Head brand gasket sealer and was not willing to trying anything new.. Once he used it and (we) learned a little went along way, that was all we ever used.. Silicone is great if used correctly..
AREA 51

Post by AREA 51 »

actually silicone is to be used alone and is not meant to be used on any gaskets.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I've been using a product called gasket maker. It is a 2 part procedure where the surfaces are primed with a special aerosol and then a small bead of the gasket material is applied to one mating surface.

This stuff is kinda like a gel. It is much runnier than silicone.

It is anerobic so it doesn't set up until the parts are bolted together.

When it dries it is more like a plastic. Kinda reminds me of a plastic milk jug.

I use it mainly as intake gasket sealer on my Weber manifolds. A regular type paper gasket doesn't last long because it gets crushed by the head bolt torque and expansion.

Kevin
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
J.M

Post by J.M »

Looks a lot like PL premium to me and industial roofing adhesive ($5.99 at Home depot , bonds anything)

Use furniture stripper , once it's on , cover it with tinfoil and let it sit.

failing that..

use heat... and lots of it.
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

UNSAFE wrote:I've been using a product called gasket maker. It is a 2 part procedure where the surfaces are primed with a special aerosol and then a small bead of the gasket material is applied to one mating surface.

This stuff is kinda like a gel. It is much runnier than silicone.

It is anerobic so it doesn't set up until the parts are bolted together.

When it dries it is more like a plastic. Kinda reminds me of a plastic milk jug.

I use it mainly as intake gasket sealer on my Weber manifolds. A regular type paper gasket doesn't last long because it gets crushed by the head bolt torque and expansion.

Kevin
Hi Kevin. Do you have a manufactor or part number for that gasket maker. I went to Advance, Napa and Autozone.. All they have is the silicone stuff. They had no idea what I was talking about.. I done a Google search and all I came up with are your standard type sealants.. Thanks vapor
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

First -- I'd look for a new parts store !

The can of activater I'm holding has a NAPA label on it. The # is 765-1154

Permatex is the manufacturer. Here's a link to get you started.

http://permatex.com/products/Automotive ... makers.htm

Do a search for "gasket maker" . It's anaerobic !

I can't find my bottle right now

The one I get comes in a bottle about 1" diameter and 3" tall. It goes a long way. It flows kinda hand lotion . It is red in color

EDIT - mine may be in a tube instead of a round bottle.

You are supposed to use the aerosol activater on both surfaces and then apply a small bead to one surface. It starts drying once you bolt the pieces together and there is no air present.
Attachments
scan0043.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

Thanks Kevin.. I'll get some now...
Danthesignman

Post by Danthesignman »

Kevin , we used to use something like that on chevettes so I think GM used to make a version of it . Used it to seal the cam carrier to the head . Dad`s gone now , but my brother might know what they called it . I`ll call him.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I've been taking advantage of our recent unseasonably warm weather and cleaning up and arranging my tent garages.
I finally found the Anaerobic gasket maker that I use. I put two of the small Locktite threadlocker tubes in the scan to give you an idea of size.
This stuff is like a gel and much runnier than SillyCone. It uses an activator but still won't dry until you assemble the parts .
I use it on my intake manifolds and then I can reach in the runner and wipe away any excess that might squeeze out without making a mess.
The texture when dry is unlike silicone. Not stretchy and feels more like plastic than rubber.
The Permtex part # for a 1.69 oz tube is px # 51813 and I buy it at NAPA.
Attachments
scan0414.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
vaporloc

Post by vaporloc »

Kevin have you ever tried any for an oil pan gasket, top cover (fan plate or what ever you call it) or valve cover gaskets? Just curious, or would it not be cost effective?
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

It would probably work well on the top cover but I don't think I'd use it on the pan or VCs. It has a thinner consistency than silicone. I haven't used it except for on my intakes so far but i may use it at the base of the cylinders next time. I don't use base gaskets and the silicone that I use starts setting up before I can get all the jugs on and the head torqued.

I have some photos somewhere from when I had it apart last time that show the stuff dry. It is so thin that you can see thru it.

They do call it Gasket Maker and it's supposed to replace the gasket but I don't think it would be cost effective as a general sealant. I still use the high heat copper silicone for some things including my header flanges.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Only thing I use now anywhere on my engines is Hylomar; best stuff ever invented, but it's pricey.

Click it!

Return to “Off Topic”