BEWARE of Corvair Underground -Resolved

Humor, Politics, etc...
Vair-8

BEWARE of Corvair Underground -Resolved

Post by Vair-8 »

Anyone having problems with Corvair Underground? My dad and I ordered parts over a year ago and still have not received it all. One of the many items ordered was a complete rear disk brake kit for my 66 and so far only received the arms and brake lines. We've been emailing and calling them with no results. My dad contact a lawyer and will taking them to small claims court if they don't give us a refund or send the remaining parts. We are still out $1200 worth of parts.

UPDATE by azdave Jan 25th 2012.
Please see the last page for the conclusion of this complaint. Vair-8 did finally get his order filled after 2.5 years of asking for parts or a refund.
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
Corvair Society Of America Member "Corsa"
V-8 Registry Member
atwistedgrip
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: BEWARE of Corvair Underground

Post by atwistedgrip »

I've bought a few minor items from them through eBay/Paypal, but I'm too scared to purchase any big ticket items from them based on others negative experience with them also.
Gary
Sun City is now Menifee, CA
CORSA member
IECC member
63BT

Post by 63BT »

You really have to read the fine print when ordering on line. Not only fine print but lots of it. I had a Honda and ordered a side cover for the motor. Bikebandit gladly took my order and sent a few of the parts like a gasket and cable.

I think it's been five years now but they have my money.

What it said in the fine print was that the part may be out of stock or out of production. I was later informed that my big $$$ part was out of production and would be shipped when production resumed. Great, I had a bike I couldn't ride and after a few years of waiting just gave it away.

5 years and counting. Heck when I ordered a ball cap and a few decals from a British company a few months ago I didn't think much of it. I did the pound/euro calculation thing and said aw, $30 is steep for a hat and decals but ... wife got the Amex and was hollering about what I spent over $60 on? "Shipping" by "Royal Post" was alleged to be over $30. There was no cost on the stamp so I think that is a very inflated figure.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

All I can recommend is to continue documenting your attempts to contact Lon and keep posting all of the info related to the issue. Don't leave out details and don't exaggerate or inflate any claims. If you keep your comments respectful and to the point people who know these vendors will keep the pressure on them to make it right. I don't know Lon and have only bought small items from him but I did have a similar issue when they were out of stock on an item and it took several months of me having to call to get my parts. I eventually got store credit and bought something else when after 3 months, I got tired of waiting.

That was a few years ago and they now have a smaller more managable store. With a purchase involving that much money someone should be regularly updating you on the backorder situation or offering to refund the balance on what you have not received until those items are in stock.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

We have all the docs in order. We have sent him plenty if emails and had several conversation on the phone, every time he says he is going to make good on our order. But weeks later nothing comes in the mail. We have let this go on too long. We've heard other corvair owners having problems with Corvair Underground, of course after we started having problems. So that why am posting to warn others. My Corvair has been on hold for these parts, I can't afford to buy from another vendor. I just want my parts that I PAID for!!!!
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
V-8 Registry Member
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I bought a REground cam & gear, fan bearin & cover. Don't know about the cam yet( not together yet )
BUT, the cam gear had nicks in it,,, and the fan bearin noise was bad and woobled (spund it on a air tool)
But with a little argument they did replace them. So I don't know, but sounds fishey to me...........
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

If you ordered with a VISA card, can they get the money back?
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

No, we waited too long. We didn't think they operated that way. Every time we talked we were promised our parts would be mailed or they were waiting on back orders parts.
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
V-8 Registry Member
63BT

Post by 63BT »

Some Visa and I suppose Master Cards are debit cards. Once you give it to them the money it's gone.

I ordered an electric window motor (installed in my driveway deal) on Monday morning and it was to be done Friday. An hour later I realized there was a lock out button and having just bought the truck I missed it. Called them back and said the motor was fine please cancel. Came home Friday to find a NEW WINDSHIELD installed with a bill for a few hundred bucks.

They said they would mail me a check. Like ten times? Now I can understand a restocking charge or some penalty but a windshield versus a window motor?

Lucky it was a local business but on the tenth "check is in the mail call" I went down and asked "the counter man" since the owner was "always out", for the owners name. Why asked the counter man? Well I need it for the small claims court action.
The "counter man" went in the back and came out with a check.

My point is that with a debit card you are screwed. There is no lag time and the money is gone.
Eurobilly

Post by Eurobilly »

I am sorry to hear about your experience with CU - especially with components that keep you off the road. I have had bad experiences with aftermarket venders before but none of those ba$tard$ were related to the Corvair supply chain - Corvair Underground included. I ordered urethane for my suspension from Lon. He didn't have the parts on the shelf when I ordered, but he hit the ship date he promised. It sucks to have to wait in anticipation. Maybe someone on the board is close to Lon’s operation and could get you the low down on the excessively long wait.
~Bill
'65 Corsa Turbo
'61 Greenbrier 8 Door
Adams, NY
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Ya, that would be nice if someone who is in contact with him on a regular basis would bend his ear. I dont enjoy writing bad things about them but its upsetting to have this done to me. I always thought the Corvair family was a close net group.
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
V-8 Registry Member
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

All I will say is you are not the first. And I'm sure not the last. :(
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
pauly4ic64

Post by pauly4ic64 »

Oh no, that makes me worry,,Ive been waiting about a month on a brake mastersylinder kit,,i was told when i ordered it that it would be on its way ,2 phone calls with told i should have it by the end of the week ,now its been a month,,people should be honest and not beat around the bush,,I try to get my stuff threw Rafeecorvair,,Ill tell ya they are nice people,and always willing to help,,and really on the ball!!! Im calling Corvair underground today and if he is at least not honest with me (waiting on a line or whatever) THEY WILL NOT GET ANY MORE OF MY BUISNESS,,AND I WILL BE SURE TO MAKE THIS A SUBJECT OF CONVERSATION AT NEXT SWAP MEET CONVENTION!!!! word of mouth travels far and holds weight for a place of buisness,, I dont want to cause trouble ,,I just want to be treated fairly,,,So I totally understand where your coming from,,,
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Vair-8. What is you status on this thread and your parts? If the problem is fixed or not it would be nice to have an update.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
pauly4ic64

Post by pauly4ic64 »

well i did speak to him again today and He did say"that he had it right in hand and was going to ship "Im not trying to give anyone a bad name or anything but he also told me this 3 other times so I really dont know whats been going on.I will repost to let everyone know the outcome of this.-- Just to get this in,,,when I did speak to this gentelmen he did seem like a nice guy..And for the person that started this post,,I too would like to know the outcome or update of your situation,,,,,.,.,..,.I love my corviar lol
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Sorry guys, missed your posts. Let me just say this, I have not received my parts and am done talking to Lon. My Dad and I have taking a different Avenue to fix this issue. I don't want to talk about it right now but will let you know the outcome.
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
V-8 Registry Member

Return to “Off Topic”