Harmonic Balancer

Humor, Politics, etc...
flat floor

Harmonic Balancer

Post by flat floor »

I bought a balancer for my '65 Monza 110, since the old one is shot. Are the threads left or right hand on the main bolt? If the crank turns while loosening, how do I hold it from turning?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

And man is at lawful history

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

First, it appears that you basically posted the same question twice in two different locations. Duplicates are not necessary, as all new posts will be seen as new. The correct location for this type of question might have been under Ask your Mechanical Questions here in the TECHNICAL SECTION.
flat floor wrote:Harmonic balancer

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 am

I bought a balancer for my '65 Monza 110 since the old one is shot. Is the main bolt L.H. or R.H. threads?
In the harmonic balancer you purchased used or new? The reason I ask is that buying a used harmonic balancer is not usually recommended. The rubber component that holds the harmonic balancer together may have deteriorated quite a bit with age, and there is no way to predict how long it will last if you install a 50+-year-old component. This is one area where purchasing a brand-new or reconditioned/remanufactured harmonic balancer is the best way to go.

The video below will take you through the procedure for installing your replacement harmonic balancer. If the video does not start at the beginning, simply use your mouse to move the time bar back to zero minutes and zero seconds so that you can watch the entire video.

You will see in the video that the center bolt that secures the harmonic balancer has normal threads and is removed by unscrewing it counterclockwise. In the video an impact wrench is used to remove the bolt and there was no problem with the engine turning when the bolt was removed. If you don't have an impact wrench and use a large socket wrench, breaker bar, etc. the crankshaft may rotate as you try to loosen the bolt. If your car has a manual transmission you can prevent the engine from turning by leaving the transmission in gear and setting the parking brake. If you have an automatic transmission you can see the torque converter and ring gear through an access portal in the bell housing. A brake adjusting tool or large screwdriver can be used to prevent the torque converter from turning by inserting the tool into the starter ring gear teeth and perhaps having assistant hold it in place while you loosen the crankshaft bolt.

You will note in the video that a hydraulic floor jack is used to support the engine and to lower it slowly to give better access to the harmonic balancer. Be sure to use a 2 x 4 or a thick sheet of plywood to protect the oil pan and the underside of the engine from damage that could occur when using the floor jack to support the engine.

I have attached a copy of the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual section that applies to the engine. Specific instructions for removing and replacing the harmonic balancer can be found on page 6 – 20. I have also included the SPECIFICATIONS section that provides you with the torque specifications for the engine component bolts.

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to invite you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, etc. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your geographic location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

:welcome:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE
(19.37 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION - SPECIFICATIONS.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION - SPECIFICATIONS
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
flat floor

Re: Harmonic Balancer

Post by flat floor »

Thanks for all of the info. Posted same questions twice, yep. Now I know how to navigate the site. Balancer on, "Ralph" back on the road. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Off Topic”